Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen wiring

Options
  • 21-01-2006 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey all
    I am wiring my Halogen light to a 4 gang switch inside the front door, via double sheathed twin core and earth.
    Is it okay to wire this onto an existing circuit or because it is a more powerful light does it need to go straight to the fusebox?
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

awishawash wrote:
    Hey all
    I am wiring my Halogen light to a 4 gang switch inside the front door, via double sheathed twin core and earth.
    Is it okay to wire this onto an existing circuit or because it is a more powerful light does it need to go straight to the fusebox?
    Any help appreciated.
    its usually ok, normally you'd check to see if there's other spots or halogens already on the same circuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

There arent any others. I'll link it up anyhow, see how i go. Thanks davelerave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

A halogen is typically 500W, so it takes about 2.3Amps ( Power = Volts x Amps ), 2.3 Amps isn't alot really.

i'd calculate the current going to the rest of the lighting loads on that circuit, as long as they are say 70% of the MCB ratting ( typically 10Amps for a lighting circuit ) i'd be happy.

So if you had 1 x500W spot light and 10 x 60W bulbs => total current is 5Amps ( 1100W/220V ).

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Thanks David that really helped, turns out it was overloading the circuit, on further investigating discovered upstairs and downstairs are on the same circuit. There are 2 for the lights, it seems the only light on the other is for the garage! I had an electrician out before and he didnt mention this. So I'm gonna take all the power from that 4 gang and put it onto the near empty circuit. Presuming Live and Neutral work the same way I will have to re route both of them. I hate routing cables!!!!:mad:

Advertisement