Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can "online Hd Editing" Be Done On A Pc ?

• 21-01-2006 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

My crazy (work)friend reckons that "online HD editing", whatever that means, can ONLY be done on a Mac using FinalCutPRO, and that this 'fact' proves that Apple Macs ROXXORZ (etc)

He is the worst kind of fanboy, in fairness. The guy believes that the Intel processors in Macs will be faster than PC processors because Apple has an agreement to only use special Intel processors that Intel won't let anyone else use FFS...

Now, I am treating all of this with a healthy dose of cynicism and a sprinkling of sigh-addled sarcasm.

So after explaining to him that components are components and a bit about how stuff(like manufacturing, computers, business etc...) works in the real (as opposed to deluded f4nB01 world) world I have argued him down to this 'fact': You can only edit (or manipulate or whatever) on Macs.

This appears to be his last stand, so I really want to deliver the final blow as soon as possible!

Now, I know nothing about film editing and this chap has a degree in something, so I ask you knowledgable guys to help me wreck this guys deluded dreams. MWAHAHAHAHA

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Firstly; your mate is a clown, and you're right about the processors too.

There are numerous programmes that you can edit HD on a pc - Avid & Adobe Premiere just being 2 off the top of my head:

Here's an article aboput a show/documentary that was edited in Adobe Premiere in HD: http://www.adobe.com/motion/dusttoglory.html

And Avid do a whole range of HD solutions for PC: http://www.avid.com/solutions/hd/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Your mate is taking so far out of his hole, his dentist is his proctologist.

Point out to your mate that Avid the industry standard editing tool, has been dragging it's heels about bringing out a HD adrenaline, or nitris, for the Mac for years, but its been out on PC since late 2003 at least.

Tell him to grow a brain or walk into any decent post house in dublin, and be amazed by (for example) Screen Scene's Avid Nitris HD, with oh look, that funny "start" word at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Freelancer wrote:
    Your mate is taking so far out of his hole, his dentist is his proctologist.

Point out to your mate that Avid the industry standard editing tool, has been dragging it's heels about bringing out a HD adrenaline, or nitris, for the Mac for years, but its been out on PC since late 2003 at least.

Tell him to grow a brain or walk into any decent post house in dublin, and be amazed by (for example) Screen Scene's Avid Nitris HD, with oh look, that funny "start" word at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.
    Exactly - if anything, Macs are way behind PCs for HD editing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Pinnacle Edition Pro, also does HD editing.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

why do people bother arguing about this?

• Advertisement

moonboy wrote:
    Who's arguing with who? Did I miss something?

moonboy wrote:

I hope you're not trying to stir it... I'm never in a good mood.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 OptimusMime

I love you guys!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

lol, this thread delivers :)

We switched to pc unity media composers a few years ago and the difference is actually marked.

Dustaz, have you ever used Media Manager for Unity, using MXF file formats? It's pretty cool for managing Unity. Although, it's mostly used with Avid Airspeeds, I don't know if you've come across them, we use them for fast turn around sport.

John

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    Dustaz, have you ever used Media Manager for Unity, using MXF file formats? It's pretty cool for managing Unity. Although, it's mostly used with Avid Airspeeds, I don't know if you've come across them, we use them for fast turn around sport.

John

What have you noticed dustaz? What do you feel are the advantage of unity on a pc?

And whats avidairspeed, not familiar with it all.

Essentially, it does what Quantel claimed it would do about 18-20 months ago. It's a Hard drive recorder for avid, but when you record on to it, you use Media manager to drag a file from the airspeed into the avid bin (Media Manager runs in an explorer box). Once I think 10 minutes is in the airspeed, you can start editing while still recording. Hence it's great for Fast turn around stuff like match edits on sport.

Kind of like the LSM (Live slow motion) But offers more editing options, however you have to buffer the 10 minutes or so. We use LSM's all the time for Match of the day and grandstand, it's a rather amazing system.

Anyway going off topic :)

John

Quantel have got that fixed now. You can edit from a record feed.

Lump wrote:
    Dustaz, have you ever used Media Manager for Unity, using MXF file formats? It's pretty cool for managing Unity.

No idea what that is. Leave all that stuff to the engineers, I just sit at the colored kb :)
    What have you noticed dustaz? What do you feel are the advantage of unity on a pc?

Stability, Stability, Stabilty.

When we first went PC with avids, i think everyone was a little nervous because PC's can be quite difficult to get to grips with compared to macs. However, when we noticed that they didnt crash 5 times a day, all was forgiven :)

Plus, Instead of having 1 choice for 3rd party apps like graphics, office stuff like that, theres hundreds because the pc platform is better supported.

Freelancer wrote:
    Quantel have got that fixed now. You can edit from a record feed.

18 months late. BBC Post bought Quantel 18 months ago, promised that you could edit record feeds.

Well then sport returned them all. The purchase was worth about 1.5 Million pounds. I am not a fan of Quantel's lay out.

John

Dustaz wrote:
    No idea what that is. Leave all that stuff to the engineers, I just sit at the colored kb :)

Ah right, didn't know if you used it. We (Assistants) look after the unity/media management.

John

Dustaz wrote:

When we first went PC with avids, i think everyone was a little nervous because PC's can be quite difficult to get to grips with compared to macs. However, when we noticed that they didnt crash 5 times a day, all was forgiven :)

Plus, Instead of having 1 choice for 3rd party apps like graphics, office stuff like that, theres hundreds because the pc platform is better supported.

Shrugs worked in a posthouse utilising both pc and mac unity, pretty smooth transition from logging on from the pc symphony's on the unity to the mac one's, the only grief I have with the pc is the slightly annoying transfer of fonts on a pc.

The only concern I feel is the FCP PC issue.
    18 months late. BBC Post bought Quantel 18 months ago, promised that you could edit record feeds.

Well then sport returned them all. The purchase was worth about 1.5 Million pounds. I am not a fan of Quantel's lay out.

Hell try editing with it. Audio match framing can cause a seizure ,and very often just basic match framing off an edit done in another suite just won't work, and hell you cannot re create effects created in another suite.

And while Qeffects can have near infinite video layers, the fact that you can't edit with more than one video layer hurts it dramatically. I like a drag and drop approach to adding new shots. Combined with the inability to y'know, auto save, makes it a demented system.

Oh sorry, i should have been more specific. I found (pre-os x) mac avids to be much more prone to crashing than PC avids on unity or off them.

I might be being a bit unfair, as im sure OS X has improved things.

Advertisement