Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: Possible theory?

• 21-01-2006 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this idea has been put forward or not but what do you think are the possibilities of
    the others having shot down the plane. I know it is a bit of a long shot but it's plausable (well...erm, not really).

We know they have a boat and some guns, so it is quite possible that they have a surface to air missile as well. How else would they have been able to plant some people on the beach as quickly as they did?

They'd had to have timed it perfectly so that the plane would actually crash in to the Island. We know there's a big magnet on the Island. That too could have been used.

My only other guess is that it's actually a reality TV show.

Sorry about the huge spoiler, you can never be too safe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Or maybe they shot an emp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Would it not have been a bit risky using a missile? A slight miscalculation and they could have blown it to pieces. So no, I don't think they would have used a missile to take down the plane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Franky Boy wrote:
    Or maybe they shot an emp?

I'd go for something like this combined with a big magnet.

The magnet used to draw the plane to the island (the pilot says they are 1000miles of course did they ever explain why?)

then the emp to bring down the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You can't attract a plane with a huge magnet. Its more likely their instruments were giving them false reasons, probably because of all the electromagnetic interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

kearnsr wrote:
    ...........(the pilot says they are 1000miles of course did they ever explain why?)

Polar reversal, i'd say.

• Advertisement

stevejazzx wrote:
    Polar reversal, i'd say.

Yeah, that's what I think too!It seems to be quite logical the whole north and south magnetic fields.

Although the core of the earth is made of iron a main composite of a magnet.I'm pretty sure anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I woild like to offer 2 points, which I see going against the idea of the Others shooting down planes using EMP, if I may:

1. If an EMP burst had been targetted at the Oceanic flight 815 airplane, then it would have not only frazzled the instruments and electronics of the airliner but also would have destroyed any other non-critical electronics on board the flight such as gadgets owned by the passengers. If EMP was the cause, why then was the pilot still in possesion of a working handheld 2 way radio when Jack, Kate and Charlie encountered the nose section (we know it was working because the Losties heard the French woman's transmission on it). Other electronic items also appear to have survived from the crashed plane, for example we see Hurley sitting on the beach using a Walkman/Personal cd player (the batteries run out and Hurley goes "Son of a b*") at the end of Season One Episode 17. Since the hatch hadn't been opened at that stage, Hurley's cd player would almost undoubtedly have been from the plane.

2. Definite spoiler for those not up to Season 2 Episode 11, please do not read this next bit if you haven't seen this episode
    The things which Zeke/bearded guy said to Jack & co. during their recent encounter would seem to indicate that the Others - or at least the ones Zeke represents - are not too keen on the idea of having newcomers on, as he phrased it, "their island". They seem quite xenophobic and if this is the case then I would find it hard to believe that the Others would shoot down any aircraft, since this would obviously bring the possibilty of crash survivors invading their island - as has happened in the wake of the Oceanic 815 crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think the others can utilise something on the island and are therefore jealous. Walt only seemed to appear out of nowhere when he got kidnapped. Which would suggest that there is some sort of wierd experimental Dharma sh!t that he uses to do so. Maybe im wrong though. By the way, 2x11 kinda sucked balls. 2x10 was the bees knees.

I like some parts of this theory.
    duridian wrote:
    I woild like to offer 2 points, which I see going against the idea of the Others shooting down planes using EMP, if I may:

1. If an EMP burst had been targetted at the Oceanic flight 815 airplane, then it would have not only frazzled the instruments and electronics of the airliner but also would have destroyed any other non-critical electronics on board the flight such as gadgets owned by the passengers. If EMP was the cause, why then was the pilot still in possesion of a working handheld 2 way radio when Jack, Kate and Charlie encountered the nose section (we know it was working because the Losties heard the French woman's transmission on it). Other electronic items also appear to have survived from the crashed plane, for example we see Hurley sitting on the beach using a Walkman/Personal cd player (the batteries run out and Hurley goes "Son of a b*") at the end of Season One Episode 17. Since the hatch hadn't been opened at that stage, Hurley's cd player would almost undoubtedly have been from the plane.

Thats true. EMP would feck up everything

Would the Emp not just **** things up for a temporary period of time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Nope, if an EMP gets to something electronic then the device is pretty much scuttled for good , this is not an "iPod on a frosty morning" type of situation I'm afraid. Maybe you were thinking of how EMP temporarily interferes with transmissions like radio waves. (Of course naturally enough if the source of the transmission is an unshielded transmitter within the range of the Electromagnetic Pulse, then transmission will not resume after the EMP)
    Actually now that I come to think of it, the only manmade source that I know of for an EMP is a nuclear blast. I think in nature, lightning has a somewhat lesser EMP around it also. Can't really see the Others detonating nukes in the atmosphere either, the surface to air missile method would be ... ahem .. more discreet as a method, if they actually did want to shoot down planes. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Season 2, episode 11 spoilers ahead, as well as end of season 1 spoilers:
    There's a big hint that was in the pilot episode (I heard the commentary guys say "Big hint!" or something), just at the bit where the engine explodes after sucking in that dude.

If you have it on a PC, do it frame by frame, and keep going for a few seconds after, frame by frame.

And remember the quote from the French Woman "The islands defense system..."

And add that with the last episode, 2x11, then another possible answer presents itself:

The black smoke Monster took the plane down. Why? Well, it's a defense system, and the plane WAS off course when it crashed... "Hey, you shouldn't be here: BAM! Crash."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Then why hasn't the "defense system" killed everyone on the island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Is it necessary to use spoilers as you have US in the title. Perhaps put spoilers in the title too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Is it that hard to highlight the text? Ctrl + A is your friend. :)

Advertisement