Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladbrkes, Lake side phil taylor et all wtf!

Options
  • 21-01-2006 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Right,

I have to say over the last 10 years I haven't kept a very close eye on darts bar watching mr taylor when i get a chance, so i'm wondering if someone can explain something to me

none of the lads that play in the ladbrokes play at the lakeside anymore what's the story with this?

if you qualifiy for one can you not play in the other? i understand the ladbrokes is worth more money, and the talent at the ladbrokes seems to be alot stronger than the lakeside, but there's alot of them i'd like to see play each other at each event

so what giveS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 datsright1

ntlbell wrote:
    Right,

I have to say over the last 10 years I haven't kept a very close eye on darts bar watching mr taylor when i get a chance, so i'm wondering if someone can explain something to me

none of the lads that play in the ladbrokes play at the lakeside anymore what's the story with this?

if you qualifiy for one can you not play in the other? i understand the ladbrokes is worth more money, and the talent at the ladbrokes seems to be alot stronger than the lakeside, but there's alot of them i'd like to see play each other at each event

so what giveS?

There was the split where 16 players (I think) left the BDO and formed the PDC about 12 years ago. Taylor was obviously one of them.

It resulted in 2 world championships - the BDO at the Lakeside (shown on BBC TV) and the PDC world champs at the Circus Tavern in Purfleet (shown on Sky).

PDC players can't enter the BDO championship. I'm not 100% certain but I think it's because the BDO is still classed as an amateur organisation.

There's great debate about which is better - personally I prefer watching the PDC tournaments, the standard does seem a bit better and the way it's marketed and televised is far better than the BDO (and there's Taylor of course).

It's interesting to compare 3 dart averages between the 2 world championships though because they are actually quite similar, suggesting the standard is similar between the 2 events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

datsright1 wrote:
    PDC players can't enter the BDO championship. I'm not 100% certain but I think it's because the BDO is still classed as an amateur organisation.
    Thats definitely NOT the reason! Though Eric Bristow would be delighted to hear you say it!

The BDO is not amateur. There is prizemoney, e.g. £60,000 for winning the World Championship, albeit not as much as the PDC these days. Last year both winners got £50,000 AFAIR, but this year Taylor picked up £100,000.

They are two completely different organisations who run the sport separately. If you are in one, you cannot be in the other. There are some minor events where anybody can play, but you can only play in one set of majors, i.e. either the BDO majors or the PDC majors.

There was a tournament last year in the Netherlands which featured 4 players from each organisation, the Masters of Darts. Results as follows:

DAY 1
    Co Stompé 4 - Colin Lloyd 0
    Raymond van Barneveld 4 - Roland Scholten 2
    Andy Fordham 4 - Wayne Mardle 2

DAY 2
    Tony David 4 - Wayne Mardle 2
    Andy Fordham 2 - Phil Taylor 4
    Co Stompé 1 - Roland Scholten 4

DAY 3
    Tony David 0 - Phil Taylor 4
    Andy Fordham 4 - Roland Scholten 2
    Raymond van Barneveld 4 - Colin Lloyd 0
    Co Stompé 4 - Wayne Mardle 1

DAY 4
    Andy Fordham 4 - Colin Loyd 1
    Raymond van Barneveld 0 - Phil Taylor 4
    Roland Scholten 4 - Tony David 3

DAY 5
    Tony David 4 - Colin Lloyd 3
    Raymond van Barneveld 4 - Wayne Mardle 3
    Co Stompé 0 - Phil Taylor 4

DAY 6 (Semi finals)
    Raymond van Barneveld 2 - Phil Taylor 5
    Andy Fordham 5 - Roland Scholten 1

DAY 7 (Final)
    Andy Fordham 1 - Phil Taylor 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 datsright1

Thats definitely NOT the reason! Though Eric Bristow would be delighted to hear you say it!

The BDO is not amateur. There is prizemoney, e.g. £60,000 for winning the World Championship, albeit not as much as the PDC these days. Last year both winners got £50,000 AFAIR, but this year Taylor picked up £100,000.

Fair enough - I was just trying to make a simple distinction between the 2, one being the Professional Darts Corporation, the other being the BDO where players wouldn't be classed as pro players - i.e they wouldn't use darts as their main/only source of income (obviously there would be exceptions who can generate income from exhibitions etc.).

- And in light of what Bristow said, I'm sure he would be impressed with comments such as mine!

The full name for the main event of the BDO calendar is:

The Lakeside World Professional Darts Championship.

I believe King, Adams, Barneveld, Stompe, Klaasen, O'Shea, Eccles, Fitton, West and Hankey are all full time professional, as are the top 10 or 15 in the PDC. Course a lot of them get a lot of their money from exhibitions.

Not too many lads though are going to get rich by playing darts - as can be seen by the prizemoney given out by the PDC in ranking events in the year ending with the recent world championships (a BDO list would have lower numbers):
    1	TAYLOR, Phil	£200,563
    2	MANLEY, Peter	£76,524
    3	LLOYD, Colin	£71,837
    4	MARDLE, Wayne	£44,172
    5	WALSH, Mark	£37,463
    6	LEWIS, Adrian	£36,698
    7	PART, John	£32,589
    8	SCHOLTEN, Rol	£32,070
    9	BAXTER, Ronnie	£30,762
    10	PAINTER, Kevin	£25,928
    11	DUDBRIDGE, Mark	£25,751
    12	JONES, Wayne	£25,100
    13	OVENS, Denis	£24,938
    14	PRIESTLEY, Den	£23,710
    15	JENKINS, Andy	£22,536
    16	SMITH, Dennis	£21,995
    17	JENKINS, Terry	£20,782
    18	WARRINER, Alan	£20,665
    19	SMITH, Andy	£20,214
    20	ROY, Alex	£19,775
    21	MASON, Chris	£18,822
    22	WADE, James	£18,233
    23	WELDING, Gary	£17,203
    24	NEWTON, Wesley	£15,742
    25	CLARIJS, Erik	£15,507
    26	ANDERSON, Bob	£15,440

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thats pretty interesting Rooster. Where did you get the money list?

• Advertisement

The ranking lists are here:

http://www.pdpa.co.uk/rankings.htm

Advertisement