Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Stockbroking Investment - DBS

Options
  • 21-01-2006 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybdy has done this 14 week course in Dublin Business School?

If so, did you find it was a worthwhile course and that you are much more aware of how financial markets work and how to trade or did you feel that this was just a rushed course where there wasn't enough time to cover the relevant topics?

I am asking because I am considering doing this course. It starts in February and I just want to make sure that it is a credible course.

I am working in hedge fund administration (transfer agency) and I would like to gain a greater understanding of what the investment managers that I speak to do every day, with the hope that maybe I'll be able to get a more hands on / front office job at some stage.

If anybody can provide any input (opinions, info, experiences) about the above I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I did the Diploma in Financial Services in DBS. I was also working in hedge fund administration. Found it quite boring, but very useful as it was specifically about financial services administration.

Not sure about the Diploma in Stockmarket Investing. It looks good though (with the Davy backup). The grandaddy of all investment courses is the MSc in Treasury and Investment Management in DCU. This has a phenomenal reputation, and would give you a very strong chance of crossing over from admin to fund management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Redmon

Sean,

I would reccomend you actually sitting the Irish Stock Exchange Reg Rep Exams. This paritally qualifies you for employment on a trading desk in Ireland.

It consists of two exams: Regulation and Securities and Markets (both MCQ).

Using that cliche - killing two birds with one stone - you can boost your knowledge of stockbroking while also improving your employment credentials (Irish brokers love to see applicants with the Reg Rep exams under their belt).

Since you work in the industry, you should approach your HR Dept and ask them to cover the cost; all the can do is say no, at least you are showing initiative.

Go onto the ISE website for more information. Also anyone can do them and you do not have to be employed by a Irish brokerage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I also did the Fund Accounting thing,I couldnt wait to be out of it tbh.
    I am taking Level 2 of the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst)exams.
    You should have a look at it,it is internationally esteemed within money management circles imho.

www.siai.ie

www.cfainstitute.org

Trying to move over to fund management is very difficult,very limited oppurtunities in Ireland.
    If you are determined enough you will get there,it may take a few years though.

More than likely you will need some full or partial qualification.
    If you have a year plus expierience,its time to get your C.V in order,
    your looking for anything middle/front office related,you may be able to move
    into these jobs internally,at your current job.

The first ten recruitment agencies are gonna tell you all you can get is a fund admin job for more money,this isnt true,you need to
    keep looking.

Any Q's , pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

dunkamania - how would you compare the CFA with the QFA (Irish qualification for qualified financial advisors)? (QFA link is at: http://www.bankers.ie/qfa/index.html )

dunkamania - how would you compare the CFA with the QFA (Irish qualification for qualified financial advisors)? (QFA link is at: http://www.bankers.ie/qfa/index.html )

Have we met before,I think it was in the bleeding heart poker thing in the wicked wolf.

CFA is more for Investment professionals/advisers
    QFA is more for retail banking products advisers(mortgages and the like)

Dont know if i explained that well

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi,

Has anybody actually done the Diploma in Stockbroking Investment course? I'm thinking about it at the moment.

Is it any good? How much did it cost?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

I have done this course. I was disappointed. For 1.5k, you dont get a lot. The delivery is poor, the treatment of the material is really superficial, teaching materials/presentation very hit and miss. It is not accredited by anyone, and this shows, its basically for people (naive) who are interested in the stock market, and feel they have what it takes to day trade their way to becoming rich. if you are doing it for any sort of career reasons, dont! there are plenty of much cheaper options out there that are much more rigorous and which are accredited. if you have 1.5k so spare and fancy wasting an evening a week hearing about stocks and shares at leaving cert bus org level, if that, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jowlsy

TheNah wrote: »
    I have done this course. I was disappointed. For 1.5k, you dont get a lot. The delivery is poor, the treatment of the material is really superficial, teaching materials/presentation very hit and miss. It is not accredited by anyone, and this shows, its basically for people (naive) who are interested in the stock market, and feel they have what it takes to day trade their way to becoming rich. if you are doing it for any sort of career reasons, dont! there are plenty of much cheaper options out there that are much more rigorous and which are accredited. if you have 1.5k so spare and fancy wasting an evening a week hearing about stocks and shares at leaving cert bus org level, if that, then go for it.

I know this is an old post but could recommend any particular course? I was looking at the CFA Level 1. I like the fact that it's a self study program as I dont really want to do something like the DCU MSc.

Advertisement