Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a 3Mb line be only getting 2.10 Mbps on Irish ISP Test

• 21-01-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Should a 3Mb line be only getting 2.10 Mbps. When running ISP Test the download speed initally starts off at 2.67 Mbps but quickly drops to 2.10 and then remains there for the rest of the test.

This is the 3mb / 384 Eircom package

Please advise:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

First, the site is being hammered. Secondly, you should wait for things to calm down before running tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As Giblet said, the test site is being hammered ATM with half the country testing the new speeds. At the last upgrade it was a week or two before things settled down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Giblet wrote:
    First, the site is being hammered. Secondly, you should wait for things to calm down before running tests.

I'm on NTL and carry out a test every two days. It NEVER varies - always .995 of a Meg (and has been the same). I had 3 Megs for 3 months and never a bother either.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Download a file from ftp.heanet.ie and see what speeds you get. The likes of the ISP test sometimes don't give all too accurate results. I've been getting a steady 322kb download, and a upload of 39-40kb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Does anyone know of a reliable/good way of testing the upload speeds? I don't have any torrents (delete once I reach >1.00) and Azureus appears to make up upload speeds at times anyway so I don't trust it. Anyone know of a good test? I might just blast open Ares and see what upload I get there.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

hehe - Hammered would be a strong word. I can tell you from the traffic graphs that it is "busy" :)

But there is loads of headroom its on a brand new box as of last night practically all to itself. We felt the need to move it before the big upgrade :)

a 3MBit line (3072kbit/s) should do around 380KB/s - due to the nature of dsl and the way eircom have it setup you will never _ever_ get near this speed. Smart on the other hand give you 6000kbit/s and you get 5mbit/s speeds - thats nice. :)

2.10mbps isn't too bad, you could always try the files.

http://www.irishisptest.com/files/ - to get a good idea of your speed. The speed for a 3mbit dsl line will always be around 300-320KB/s - so if you get that downloading one of the files at the above url then your on the money.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

My modem now reports speeds of 2784 downstream / 384 upstream, and this morning Irish Speed test reported 2.31Mbps down, 304Kbps up. As far as my line goes - that's the best the line can do - as things stand.

BTW: From the netsource site:
    All customers using these services should note that the increase is an ‘increase in Max speed’ - some customers never achieve the Max speed due to the technical characteristics of their line to the local exchange, therefore some customers being served by exchanges where the speed increase is applied may not notice any change in service after the increase.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Mac, you're not alone, my speeds to 262KB/s too :(

they start good but then drop, no matter where I download from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm in the same boat. Am on the 3meg Eircom package and am connecting at 2284/384. I don't mind all that much as this is the DSL connection at my parents which I don't use all that much. The lines has always been a bit dodgy here in Rathfarnham particularly in the older estates that have been around for 35+ years.

Have NTL back at my place (soon to be upgraded to 10meg ... whoop).

TC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think everyone is downloading like crazy on my exchange, i had perfect connection up till 20 minutes ago, now im getting 218bps download and 34bps upload from the speed test and pings over 700 to everything, quality of service 29%:( . when i download anything the most im getting is 16kb/sec. hope this isnt gonna be regular.

• Advertisement

I would say that we are seeing the extent of the rot, in the physical network, €ircon have around the country. If people are struggling to hit 3Mb then it's bad. On the IrelandOffline forum certain members have said €ircon has stated that they have no interest in upgrading from copper to fibre - they must be mad. Were are the high speeds going to come from in the future? ADSL2+ can only go so far it will also be affected by the disrepair of the network. What a mess :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I'm getting 1.89M/s down a 5Mb line. Eircom didn't want to know on the phone. One of their excuses was line quality but I'm getting nearly the full 512k up. Would line quality not affect up and down?
    When the line was 4mb before the upgrade I connected straight to heanet and got 9.9M/s.. through eircom it was 140K/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

shayser wrote:
    I'm getting 1.89M/s down a 5Mb line. Eircom didn't want to know on the phone. One of their excuses was line quality but I'm getting nearly the full 512k up. Would line quality not affect up and down?
    When the line was 4mb before the upgrade I connected straight to heanet and got 9.9M/s.. through eircom it was 140K/s.

Looks like we're in the same boat then, I was onto Eircom last week because my 3Mbit (Now 4) was averaging downloads of about 30-40 Kbps. They got me to do their little speed test which came up about 80Kbps and your man in support reckoned that although it was poor it was within the parameters for my connection and so that was that as far as he was concerned. My now 4mb connection is no better this week save for the odd time it decides to work properly. I just finished downloading a file at a stonking 11kbps (Thanks eircom this 4 megabit connection is great:rolleyes:)

I have had eircom broadband for years and it's always been great up untill about a month ago and it's just been pants since then.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

average speed you should be getting with a 3MB connection is between 2.50Mbps to 2.70Mbps.

My phoneline is made of Swiss cheese does anyone have a wiring diagram for €ircon's sockets? I may have to redo the wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I get 2.4mbps
    and 300kbps up

My mate in kerry gets 2.8mbps >: (
    and 350kbps up

What the hell. He must live like BESIDE his bloody exchange or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i'm getting 2.57mb down, 315kb up with BT broadband plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

im just wondering, that when your getting slow speeds, and ring up technical support, what do you expect the tech agent to do?

event wrote:
    im just wondering, that when your getting slow speeds, and ring up technical support, what do you expect the tech agent to do?

Perhaps, get an engineer to look at my line/exchange port and try to find out what is wrong. Perhaps even let me know if there is an ongoing problem at the exchange. Usually when I have a problem with a service that I cant' fix myself I ring tech support, What do you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Redshift wrote:
    Looks like we're in the same boat then, I was onto Eircom last week because my 3Mbit (Now 4) was averaging downloads of about 30-40 Kbps. They got me to do their little speed test which came up about 80Kbps and your man in support reckoned that although it was poor it was within the parameters for my connection and so that was that as far as he was concerned. My now 4mb connection is no better this week save for the odd time it decides to work properly. I just finished downloading a file at a stonking 11kbps (Thanks eircom this 4 megabit connection is great:rolleyes:)

I have had eircom broadband for years and it's always been great up untill about a month ago and it's just been pants since then.:mad:

What line speed is your modem reporting-what bit rate is it synching at?

• Advertisement

jd wrote:
    What line speed is your modem reporting-what bit rate is it synching at?

Upstream Speed 384 Kps
    Downstream Speed 4096 Kbps

speedtest attached and it's better than earlier belive it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Redshift wrote:
    Upstream Speed 384 Kps
    Downstream Speed 4096 Kbps

speedtest attached and it's better than earlier belive it or not
    The fact that it is synching at that rate indicates it is probably not a problem with your telephone line.
    any other data you can get eg errors etc
    usin my dads connection at the moment i have
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 17.00 7.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 54.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 13990 0

He is quite a bit from the exchange but downloads are ok (I was surprised he got the speed he did)

I can only get line anntenuation data if the modem is in router mode via the web interface. I use it in bridge mode with a firewall initating the PPPoe connection. I can only get console access in this mode and it doesn't give that data.
    This is all the diagnostic data I can get from it.

[PHP] Menu 24.1 - System Maintenance - Status

Node-Lnk Status TxPkts RxPkts Errors Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
    1-1483 Up 653423 956542 0 338 111 0:04:31
    2 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    3 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    4 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    5 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    6 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    7 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
    8 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00

Ethernet: WAN:
    Collisions: 0 Rx Pkts: 653479 Upstream Speed: 384 kbps
    CPU Load = 24.31% Downstream Speed: 4096 kbps
    Press Command:
    COMMANDS: 1-Reset Counters ESC-Exit[/PHP]

4[PHP]1 Wed Jan 7 02:23:21 2004 PINI -WARN SNMP TRAP 0: cold start
    42 Wed Jan 7 02:23:21 2004 PINI INFO main: init completed
    43 Wed Jan 7 02:23:21 2004 PP05 -WARN SNMP TRAP 3: link up
    44 Wed Jan 7 02:23:22 2004 PP11 INFO adjtime task pause 1 day
    45 Wed Jan 7 02:23:36 2004 PP06 WARN MPOA Link Up
    46 Wed Jan 7 02:23:36 2004 PP0a INFO bridge only stop
    47 Thu Jan 8 02:23:22 2004 PP11 INFO adjtime task pause 1 day
    48 Mon Jan 12 11:05:37 2004 PP06 INFO Last errorlog repeat 4 Times
    49 Mon Jan 12 11:05:37 2004 PP06 WARN ADSL:L1 shutdown,nLosFailNow
    50 Mon Jan 12 11:05:38 2004 PP06 WARN MPOA Link Down
    52 Mon Jan 12 11:05:39 2004 PP0a WARN netMakeChannDial: err=-3005 rn_p=7034c
    c
    53 Mon Jan 12 11:05:57 2004 PP06 WARN Last errorlog repeat 14 Times
    54 Mon Jan 12 11:05:57 2004 PP06 WARN MPOA Link Up
    55 Mon Jan 12 11:05:57 2004 PP0a INFO bridge only stop
    56 Mon Jan 12 11:38:26 2004 PINI INFO SMT Session Begin
    57 Tue Jan 13 02:23:22 2004 PP11 INFO adjtime task pause 1 day
    58 Tue Jan 13 11:59:01 2004 PP06 WARN MPOA Link Down
    60 Tue Jan 13 11:59:02 2004 PP0a WARN netMakeChannDial: err=-3005 rn_p=7034c
    c
    61 Tue Jan 13 11:59:19 2004 PP06 WARN Last errorlog repeat 17 Times
    62 Tue Jan 13 11:59:19 2004 PP06 WARN MPOA Link Up
    63 Tue Jan 13 11:59:19 2004 PP0a INFO bridge only stop
    Clear Error Log (y/n):[/PHP]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

I don't think the Irish ISP speed test is very accurate in all cases. I have access to a low latency 10Mb symmetrical un-contended connection and can get the full 10Mb from heanet.ie but the Irish ISP test tells me I have 7.8Mb down and only 1.2Mb up. It's not a latency problem

ping www.irishisptest.com
    PING www.irishisptest.com (87.252.192.15) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=8.11 ms
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=8.88 ms
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=7.89 ms
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=8.15 ms
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=7.83 ms
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=8.00 ms
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=6 ttl=55 time=7.78 ms
    64 bytes from morgana.blacknight.ie (87.252.192.15): icmp_seq=7 ttl=55 time=8.58 ms

.brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

here's what i'm getting :

bits per second (bytes per second)
    Download speed: 2,605,761 (325,720)
    Upload speed: 320,550 (40,069)

Surfspeed Average: 320,217 (40,027)
    Surfspeed Worldwide: 320,217 (40,027)
    Latency: 4 milliseconds

you can also check your speed here :

http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/

mmm, seems it may not have been eircoms fault at all:o I was pricking about with my firewall which sits on top of my modem when I noticed that both devices were very hot to the touch so I sat them side by side instead and within minutes I was getting full whack from my connection.
    Getting about 3.62Mbps from the blacknight test site:D
    Hope it stays that way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Redshift wrote:
    I was pricking about with my firewall which sits on top of my modem when I noticed that both devices were very hot to the touch so I sat them side by side instead and within minutes I was getting full whack from my connection.
    not sure how this would go with an ethernet connection as i've never tried it with one, but i had a customer with terrible download speeds (worse than 56k) back in the 512kbps era, and it turned out that his usb cable from his modem was laying across his monitor cable. i could actually show him the difference by downloading something and moving the cable nearer or farther from the monitor lead and it was cutting the download down to less than 20% of what it was when it was away.

worth thinking about when arranging your cables. :v:

vibe666 wrote:
    not sure how this would go with an ethernet connection as i've never tried it with one, but i had a customer with terrible download speeds (worse than 56k) back in the 512kbps era, and it turned out that his usb cable from his modem was laying across his monitor cable. i could actually show him the difference by downloading something and moving the cable nearer or farther from the monitor lead and it was cutting the download down to less than 20% of what it was when it was away.

worth thinking about when arranging your cables. :v:

My setup is all ethernet, but seperating these boxes cured the problem. Another thing that strikes me as I write this is that my firewall doubles as a wireless access point so the wireless antenna was less than an inch from the modem which could also have been a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

Redshift wrote:
    Perhaps, get an engineer to look at my line/exchange port and try to find out what is wrong. Perhaps even let me know if there is an ongoing problem at the exchange. Usually when I have a problem with a service that I cant' fix myself I ring tech support, What do you do?

well i used to work in tech support and it just that people automatically assume its the ISP's fault, that it has nothing to do with their machine, or maybe the website isnt giving an accurate reading

just that i used to have so many people complaining about slow speeds with p2p or torrents, when in fact the problem could be at the other side

and me, i always check everything 100% at my side, not just presume that my side is fine, which a lot of people do (not saying you do)

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    well i used to work in tech support and it just that people automatically assume its the ISP's fault, that it has nothing to do with their machine, or maybe the website isnt giving an accurate reading

just that i used to have so many people complaining about slow speeds with p2p or torrents, when in fact the problem could be at the other side

and me, i always check everything 100% at my side, not just presume that my side is fine, which a lot of people do (not saying you do)

I can see where you're comming from alright; for a speed test I would generally try a download from a heanet mirror and I certainly wouldn't be complaining about p2p or torrent speeds as they are variable by nature.
    I certainly didn't presume everything was ok my side and I pretty much went through everything down to bypassing my entire network and initiating the pppoe connection in Windows xp with the computer connected straight to the modem. It certainly looked like an external problem to me at the time. In hindsight it seems it was a local problem afterall with the modem taking a sudden dislike to having the firewall sitting on top of it as it has done for a number of years. Maybe it's getting grumpy in it's old age (like myself;))
    Your tech support comment reminds me of a time I had to go back to an old dear's house after reparing her alarm system; because her fridge no longer worked and the job I had trying to convince her that what I had done was unrelated' even showed her that the power socket was still live and checked the fuse in the plugtop for her but the was adament that I must have done something to stop the fridge from working:rolleyes:

Advertisement