Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton on Late Late Show

• 21-01-2006 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see it? What'ya make of it?

I know it pays to be cagey but he didn't really fill me with too much confidence. He seemed a bit lost throughout and even had trouble delivering the tried and tested football cliches. He didn't seem comfortable answering the 'Keane question' and he didn't seem to have much information on whatever he had planned to do with the team other than that he's 'going after players with the granny rule'. That's great Stan but what thes plan once you get them? Also did he contradict himself on Robsons appointment saying he had nothing to do with it but that he was the man he wanted? :confused:

So I don't know. I'll give him a chance but I hope his managments skills are better than his interview ones. :)

Anyway you should be able to catch it here during the week (prob won't be available til Monday!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah, I saw it. He seemed extra relaxed and doesn't seem to be trying to fill anyone with confidence. :) Its like he's just relying on his staff and just couldn't turn down this dream job. I'll see how he does on the pitch though before making too much judgement.

On the topic of Staunton interviews:
    http://audio.todayfm.com/files/giftstaunton.wma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:

I'm not generally a fan of giftgrub but that was a good one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Late Late is repeated Monday night.
    Came across ok... but I think he's never going to come across well given the expectation and how it all happened.
    That said, I think we all just want him to get on with the job and wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

don't watch the late late show but on this occasion had a look to see what Staunton had to say.

I was underwhelmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think he did ok, apart from not handling the Roy Keane issue...He should have known that moron Kenny would ask about Keane. Should have just said Roy has retired from International Football and left it at that. Of course Kenny would have prodded him to see if Roy would return would Stan take him back, and then it should have just been a case of "of course" even if in the back of his mind, he wouldn't, but Stan doesn't have to worry about that anyway, cos Roy aint coming back.

We gotta get behind the man now and support him. He might prove us all wrong...(examples Van Basten at Holland, Klinnsmann at Germany, Pearce @ Man City).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

it was one of my biggest fears. Steve cannot handle the press, Im not saying he's stupid or doesnt know what he wants to say but a decent interviewer could tie him in nots. All good managers can handle themselves in front of the cameras. Maybe it will come with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nah in fairness to Stan it was Kerr who couldn't handle the press. He was seen to lose the rag with them on occasion and even bollixed up HIS late late spot last year imho.

Always better to look just stupid than angry/unstable after run-ins with the press as far as i can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

since when was it a requirement of a football manager to be an entertainer in front of TV cameras? he hasnt even had a training session or even settled into his job yet. let him start on a clean slate for gods sake, rather than bad mouthing his TV skills and assuming hes gona be ****. be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

i didnt say anything about entertaining the press. If you dont think that handling the press is an important part of being a manager, then I think you are mistaken. Its the press that can put an end to your career. Hoddle, Venables, probably Eriksson to name but a few in recent times. I know they are in England but seeing as a large amount of Irish footy supporters read Irish versions of English newspapers, the press can have a huge part in your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

In all fairness Pat Kenny interviewing Steve Staunton was never going to be rivetting television , Staunton is definitely going to need help handling the pr side of the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

For those of us who didn't see it what was said about Keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

masterK wrote:
    He asked Steve if he would have taken back Keane if he was Kerr's shoes and he said that was Kerr's decision! basically avoiding the question. He later said he said he wouldn't close the door on Keane to return and said he was trying to talk to other players who had retired. I believe he was talking about Kenny Cunningham comming back.

He's not the best speaker in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

masterK wrote:
    Kenny asked him if he would be looking at players who had retired from international football (didn't mention Keane specifically) and Stan said something along the lines of he would consider anyone who wanted to play for Ireland. Kenny spotted his chance then and mentioned Keane specifically and Stan shifted uncomfortably in his seat and gave a similar answer to the previous question - I'll consider anyone who wants to play for Ireland.

I didn't think he looked very comfortable throughout but I guess he can only improve with experience. It doesn't help that he has a really boring monotone voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Pal wrote:
    don't watch the late late show but on this occasion had a look to see what Staunton had to say.
    We know you watch it every week Pal :D

I was feeling sorry for Stan - seems a really nice guy, but may be completely out of his depth. Hope I'm wrong.

Though I do hate the way he's focusing on the granny rule. Fine to look for players who qualify and want to play, but glorifying it makes us look sad and desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Though I do hate the way he's focusing on the granny rule. Fine to look for players who qualify and want to play, but glorifying it makes us look sad and desperate.

Shows he doesn't think much of the team he's got and a few of them aside, I can see where he's coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I dont care how he handles the press as long as he gets on well with the players and can do the business with them. **** the press is what i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I dont care how he handles the press as long as he gets on well with the players and can do the business with them. **** the press is what i say.

well i hope your press isnt wooden like mine at home or your gonna be pretty sore. pretty quick ;)

and he just has to improve with time :) naturally hes a little nervous dealing with them now but in time, surely he'll get better :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As Ronan says, that is the main thing,

Thought he handled himself fine, not sure why he did not kick the Keane comeback in the butt, need to be going forward not bringing Keane back.

Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    "All credit to sunburn"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

BaZmO* wrote:
    "All credit to sunburn"

and to Ombre Solaire! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

You could have Jose Mourinho in there it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, we ain't got the players, plain and simple. The granny rule is our only chance, it worked for Jack Charlton so why not. Hoof it up the field and put 'em under pressure I say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gegerty wrote:
    You could have Jose Mourinho in there it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, we ain't got the players, plain and simple. The granny rule is our only chance, it worked for Jack Charlton so why not. Hoof it up the field and put 'em under pressure I say :D
    There's more players breaking through in England than ever before. Our U19s and U17s both won their tough qualifying groups with ease (U19s knocked Italy out). There is plenty of talent coming through atm. During McCarthy's last campaign and Kerr's time in charge, very few players were coming through. Now they're all breaking through at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Pigman II wrote:
    Anyone see it? What'ya make of it?
    I know it pays to be cagey but he didn't really fill me with too much confidence.

I saw it last night on the repeat. I thought he was ok. He's still a bit raw in front of the media and is still a bit of a boy at heart. He also is a bit naive. He's just delighted to be in the job, in a way a bit shocked that they have gone for him.

He's not tried and tested, but, lets see what he's like as an international team manager. He knows his football on the pitch, he has organised defences, midfields in front of him and he's been up a lot in attack so a good all rounder. He's also a decent lad which should mean there shouldnt be any personality clashes among the players, etc.

It could all go pear-shaped of course, but only time wil tell.

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

watched it there myself on the repeat last night.

he definitely came across as passionate about the job and all that good stuff and seems to have plenty of ideas yadda yadda, but it was cringe worthy tv for the most part.

having said that, it was probably his first ever interview that wasnt part of match of the day or something so in a sence he didnt do so bad.

i think the whole appointment is one of those things where it will be a big success or a total disaster, i dont see much of a middle ground for the situation

but in general i dont care if he sits on the late late show looking uncomfortable or sits there giggling like a little girl for 15 minutes as long as the team wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm the boss, I'm the gaffer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭jacool

The_B_Man wrote:
    since when was it a requirement of a football manager to be an entertainer in front of TV cameras? he hasnt even had a training session or even settled into his job yet. let him start on a clean slate for gods sake, rather than bad mouthing his TV skills and assuming hes gona be ****. be fair.
    I agree 100%. Dealing with the media should have nothing at all to do with the job, and in fact he could go and tell them to take a running jump if he wanted. The media will write about football regardless of whether he talks to them or not. Do you think they'll stop reporting on Internationals ?
    Look at what the media in the UK are doing to Sven.
    Whatever our opinions on Steve, if he says nothing except " I'm the Gaffer" and we keep winning, I do not care. Bring in Ireland, Foley, Doyle, etc. and don't worry about the likes of Carr, who retired on the night - bet his heart was on the job in hand that night then ! Blood the young, Ignore the media and pick players who can pass the ball forward, p l e a s e !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

jacool wrote:
    I agree 100%. Dealing with the media should have nothing at all to do with the job, and in fact he could go and tell them to take a running jump if he wanted.

In an ideal world I would agree with you, but modern football is such big business it is important for a manger to be able to handle the media. Stan will have to face tough questions during his time in charge and it's important that he can answer them without giving away any advantage to the opposition.

Advertisement