Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL big four groundsharing facts and rumours and poll.

• 21-01-2006 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Fact
    The goverment want the big four Pats,Shels,Rovers and Bohs to groundshare in 2 grounds Tallaght(Pats and Rovers) and Dalymount)Bohs and Shels).
    A figure of 20 million to be invested into the grounds is being mentioned if Pats and Shels sell Tolka and Richmond and also use that (part of the 20 million Goverment numbering system) to renovate and build Dalymount and tallaght.

No club has said yes or said no. Pats have a meeting on tuesday night to discuss it with the patrons.

Bohs Rovers and Shels havent confirmed or denied interest or anything like so far.

This will happen!

RumourMy favourite parts always :o

1. Pats want the 10 million pumped into Richer and Rovers come and share there forever.

2. The company who are building Drogs ground will be doing work on all the above, the fact the directors of this company may be politically linked has nothing to do with anything ;). They also do great work €1000 a seat and that stadium will be fantastic when done, seriously top class.

/End Rumour. Add in your own from your club.

Pats Win Lose dont want to move to Tallaght and would prefer...(me shudders) Rovers to come to Richer and and invest the 10 million in that. Given a choice I would choose that also. We go to Ttallaght a lot of Inchicore fans wont go, also 76 is worst bus ever so im screwed.

Bohs are in a win win situation they are renovating the ground under an old land deal are tenants based in their fanbase. Even if Shels come to Dalyer they make money and have a nice ground, if they dont they still have a nice ground.

Rovers also win win situation and only a possible loss of future fans the only real downside. Most fans who go now find the Richer the easiest to get to off all recent grounds. Loss of possible Tallaght fanbase is really an unknown loss. So they get a ground and stable footing either way.

Shels the one that will possibly decide which way this goes, they have plans for their own ground which is a mega huge business gamble and im sure Ollie knows it. To build a ground in a new town and expect fans to show is a big step. Will they take the money and just share with Bohs? Afaik they have already had offers for Tolka so obviously this plan has been brewing for a while. It could be even be there idea with oul Bertie their number one fan behind the whole thing.

So what do other fans think ? Whats best for everyone?

Given a choice i would go with the groundsharing but Pats staying in Richer and let the GAA have tallaght :D As it stands noone loses anything as 1 Rovers have nothing left to lose, Pats stay in the community, Bohs get loads of money and so do Shels and everyone gets a half decent ground FULLY SEATED !!!

Atm Pats are digging holes and knocking down the Shed end (yes i cried :() to lenghten the pitch and fit the ground to Uefa licencing. So odd a club in a lot of debt would waste money like that.

kdjac

Wahat do you prefer? 22 votes

Pats and Rovers in Tallaght, Bohs and Shels in Dalymount.
    0% 0 votes
    Pats and Rovers in Richmond , Bohs and Shels in Dalymount.
    22% 5 votes
    Pats in Richer, Rovers in Tallaght, Bohs and Shels in Dalymount.
    22% 5 votes
    Pats in Richer, Rovers in Tallaght, Bohs in Dalyer, Shels in Swords.
    18% 4 votes
    All 4 in Croke Park
    36% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think its an opportune time for some much needed consolidation among the Dublin Clubs. It will be hard to do with tradition and all that but two top clubs playing in two new stadiums, merged from the 4 clubs, would make a great base for LOI football to develop and to try and catch up to a level akin to the Scottish league football.

I'm not sure if Tallaght would be the best place for it. Dalymount should if there is space.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Did you read the poll?

Its talking about stadia not teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Richer ?

Richmond Park in inchicore.

More commonly known as the Stadium of sh1te!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Shels should move to Dalymount. Dont care about those Southsiders. I would rather prefer going to Dalyer to see Shels then to Lusk\Swords where ever the God Damm place is. Which is a stupid idea, no matter how they try to dress it up. Its sad to see Tolka go, it is home, but it has to go. Please Shels, please move to Dalyer its only 2 miles down the road.

• Advertisement

It would good to see money being pumped into Dayler.

A 20,000 top quality stadium could beused for Cup finals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Richmond Park in inchicore.

More commonly known as the Stadium of sh1te!:D

But most importantly our stadium of ****e :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Since when are Pats a big club? Shouldnt this be the big 4 Dublin clubs, rather than big 4 eL clubs. Typical Jackeen pig ignorance as usual.

Regarding the matter at hand, If the government give Shels and the other 3 small clubs money to help them with their grounds, they will have to give every other club an equal amount of money in order to keep fairness.

Who said there is no such thing as a Dublin bias :rolleyes:?
    redspider wrote:
    I think its an opportune time for some much needed consolidation among the Dublin Clubs. It will be hard to do with tradition and all that but two top clubs playing in two new stadiums, merged from the 4 clubs, would make a great base for LOI football to develop and to try and catch up to a level akin to the Scottish league football.

Just because all other Dub clubs aside from Shels are backward with no real ambition other than basic survival, doesnt mean the rest of the league are of a similar mind set. There are some very progressive clubs in Ireland, outside The Pale. Anyways, your post is somewhat off topoc, as this is about stadium sharing rather than merging teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

gimmick wrote:
    Since when are Pats a big club?

Since they won back to back leagues .

gimmick wrote:
    Since when are Pats a big club? Shouldnt this be the big 4 Dublin clubs, rather than big 4 eL clubs. Typical Jackeen pig ignorance as usual.

Who said there is no such thing as a Dublin bias :rolleyes: ?

You won 2 leagues :confused: 2 leagues ever!!! And you feel your being biased against by teams with more than treble that. Cork people really arent bitter about being a small town at all.

kdjac

• Advertisement

:D

In the last 5 years Cork City Fc have done alot more for the eL than any other club, with the exception of Shels. City are a progressive club, on and off the field, with ambitions which go far beyond mere survival. Cork City are not living in the past like so many Dublin clubs.

There is no bitterness down here, though I can excuse you for thinking so.
    Since they won back to back leagues

Would Huddersfield still be seen as a big club in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Even tho Bohs are seemingly in a 'win win' situation as Kdjac puts it I'm of the opinion that there is absolutely no point having a 10million Euro ground when no-one's turning up to sit in it.

What exactly is the governments motive behind all this? :confused:

gimmick wrote:
    :D

In the last 5 years Cork City Fc have done alot more for the eL than any other club, with the exception of Shels.

Even more than Pats when Dolan was our mouth piece :eek:
    There was a league more than 5 years ago :rolleyes:

kdjac

Yes, there was a league more than 5 years ago, a piss poor effort, with clubs who never got anywhere. There was an amatuer mentality in the domestic game.

The reason I cite the last 5 years is becasue the eL has only started to go places in the last 5 years. More has happened in this period of time than the previous 30. If you are happy with situations like the chamipons of Ireland losing 10-0 to some crowd from Moldova over 2 legs, off with you. Some feel that this league has an awful lot more to offer, as has been shown in recent years.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Even more than Pats when Dolan was our mouth piece :eek:

Meh, thats correct, all Dolan was for City was a mouthpiece. He did a good job, and once that was done, City wanted no more to do with him. Brian Lennox was clever enough to see what Dolan had done previosly.

Yes, there was a league more than 5 years ago, a piss poor effort, with clubs who never got anywhere. There was an amatuer mentality in the domestic game.

Lol no offence Gimmick but the league was a hell of a lot better then than it is now, back then there were 5 teams who could win the league and 4 teams did all playing good football. But Cork won a game in Europe ...omg so did everyone else back then now only 1 team is winning games in Europe, yes must be better so.

But Gimmick if your bringing everything to the league, why are your best players walking out on frees or 80k clauses?

Cork City
    In -
    Out -
    Greg O'Halloran (Shels)
    Liam Kearney (released)
    Willie Bruton
    Kevin Murray (both CobH}

Hardly the sign of a great club? Are you going to sign anyone? Can you afford too? Little pats have signed 7 players so far.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

gimmick wrote:
    Regarding the matter at hand, If the government give Shels and the other 3 small clubs money to help them with their grounds, they will have to give every other club an equal amount of money in order to keep fairness.

Didn't Cork benefit more than anyone else recently with circa €800,000 for ground development? Or am I missing something (probably am!)? :)

^ The MFA got a grant, not CCFC
    KdjaC wrote:
    Lol no offence Gimmick but the league was a hell of a lot better then than it is now, back then there were 5 teams who could win the league and 4 teams did all playing good football.

Are you serious? That is the single most ridiculous sentence I have seen on this board since TJR was banned. Are you saying that the standard bearers of 98/99 (the 2 horse race season) who lost 10-0 over 2 legs in Europe are a better team than the teams who have won the league for the last few years, as they had more competition in the league?

Just because there were a number of teams capable of winning the league years ago, and only 2 or 3 can now shows that those 2 or 3 teams have moved forward, while the others have merely stood still. Again KDJAC, mediocrity is no longer acceptable. If you think the league is better now than what it was a few years ago, the smog must have gotten to you.
    But Cork won a game in Europe ...omg so did everyone else back then now only 1 team is winning games in Europe, yes must be better so.

A game? If I remember correctly City have progressed past 2 rounds in European competition for 2 years running. Shels have done very well in the same time frame. Shams did ok in the Inter toto a few years ago as well, losing to a very good Slovan Liberec team. As for anyone else who has attempted Europe in recent years has been an embarrassment and are a big reason why the bar stoolers stay away. I dont seem to recall any half decent effort from Pats in recent years. Why is that?
    But Gimmick if your bringing everything to the league, why are your best players walking out on frees or 80k clauses?

Waliking out? LOL. I seem to recall Pats lost him for nothing.
    Cork City
    In -
    Out -
    Greg O'Halloran (Shels)
    Liam Kearney (released)
    Willie Bruton
    Kevin Murray (both CobH}

Hardly the sign of a great club? Are you going to sign anyone? Can you afford too? Little pats have signed 7 players so far.

Do City need to sign anyone? Do City need to go out gratuitously signing nobodies or mercenary has beens? Must City clog up the wage bill with avergae players who are only coming for the money because any half decent club wouldnt pick them up. No club sign players for the sake of it, oh wait, one does - they have signed 7 or so players who would struggle in the 1st Division. Thats progress for ya.

As for the players who have left, well apart from Kearney, who I have ranted on already, the rest are no loss. Willie Bruton played 3, stared one, scored zero and contributed fúck all. Kev Murray played zero 1st team, and very little for the U21s and Greg, while a decent back up player, was neevr going to be a regular in the 1st team. So, how is losing them a big problem???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i'd hope this does not happen, i think that bohs and i'd of guessed pats too (but maybe not) wouldn't have liked this they have a heritage with those stadiums, we as rovers are awaiting for tallaght for 5-8 years maybe more at this stage, i want our own stadium. i guess many more fans would agree

Did you read the poll? Its talking about stadia not teams.

Yes, I did read the poll.

I'm suggesting that the LOI needs a much more radical change than just having a few clubs ground-share. Even though ground-share may be a welcome change, a real injection of development may occur if 4 of the big Dublin clubs merged into just two big clubs. Thats what the LOI really needs.

This was one of the points I raised on the "Whats wrong with the Eircom League" thread.
    gimmick wrote:
    The reason I cite the last 5 years is becasue the eL has only started to go places in the last 5 years. More has happened in this period of time than the previous 30.

Why do some people have a perception that the LOI has improved in recent years? The stats would show that it is in and around the same position if not lower than it was in the 1970s and 1980's and probably the 90's. What has changed is that the European competions have got larger with the addition of the likes of clubs from Moldova, Azerbijzan, etc.

And in terms of supplying players to the National team, the LOI is probably worse off than in era's gone by.

The LOI needs a radical shake-up if we want to see it on a level par with the likes of Hearts, Hibs and other Scottish teams, never mind the decades it will take to catch up with the likes of Celtic and Rangers. Th Scottish league is an ideal benchmark for the LOI to measure itself against as it is operating in roughly the same environment, 5m people v 4m people, and both competing and the English league and its money. One difference is that in Ireland we have the GAA to compete with, which is wht the LOI avoids that *(not) by playing in the summer .....

go figure ...

redspider

redspider wrote:
    which is wht the LOI avoids that *(not) by playing in the summer .....

Without wanting to start on this again, but reverting to a winter format is not the way to go. You mention above that eL clubs results have not improved in European competition etc in recent times. Well the attitude of having 'one good gate' from the Europe is now long gone. Irish clubs feel they can, and will, progress past at least one round - an attitude which didnt exist up to very recently. And Irish representatives in Europe, with the exception of Longford, in recent seasons have done more than talk a good fight, they have done the business on the pitch also. How is that not an improvement???

As for merging clubs? Do you not feel that the current existing clubs would be better served trying to build themselves up, rather than trying to merge, and end up alienating huge amounts of their respective fanbases. Surely this would be a better option, as lets be honest, mergeers will only bring in minimal new fans, and would probably scare away possible new fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

redspider wrote:
    I'm suggesting that the LOI needs a much more radical change than just having a few clubs ground-share. Even though ground-share may be a welcome change, a real injection of development may occur if 4 of the big Dublin clubs merged into just two big clubs. Thats what the LOI really needs.

How would you feel about Everton and Liverpool merging? Shelbourne are 111 years old, if you think they are going to merge with ANYONE else, you are so far off the mark its untrue. Same goes for the rest of the Dublin teams.

Rovers/Pats? Rofl!

If it would take a merger between clubs for people like yourself to come out and support the league then it says more about you than about the league.
    Why do some people have a perception that the LOI has improved in recent years?

Depending on what you would class as "recent years", I think its quite obvious why people have seen progress in the past few years. I'm not even going to bother listing the positive steps eL clubs have taken in Europe in the past 5 years.
    What has changed is that the European competions have got larger with the addition of the likes of clubs from Moldova, Azerbijzan, etc.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.
    And in terms of supplying players to the National team, the LOI is probably worse off than in era's gone by.

I wonder why this is. Certainly not because the talent isn't there. Take Kevin Doyle as a good example. Within about 3 months (if even!) of leaving Cork for Reading he was in the Irish squad, the mind boggles.
    One difference is that in Ireland we have the GAA to compete with, which is wht the LOI avoids that *(not) by playing in the summer .....

go figure ...

Again, not sure of the point here. GAA games very rarely clash with soccer games and certainly are not to blame for low attendances. That, unfortunately, is due to people who write the league off in its current state.

MrJoeSoap/Gimmick,

I agree with you guys, I DO NOT think that a merger is going to happen. I'm realistis. But a couple of good and big clubs in Dublin would be the ideal end position, rather than the situation that we have now.

How we get from here to there is not an easy path? Maybe one way is for some clubs to go out of existence, which is what is nearly happening to Shamrock Rovers, arguably the club with the most tradition in Ireland, the Celtic equivalent of Ireland, yet its in a sorry state of affairs. Its a painful way for consolidation but maybe the only one that is "acceptable" by the fans. However, it will take decades.

The point about Europe is that the size of the European competitions have increased and in olden days you were pitted against clubs from bigger leagues straight away when compared with the LOI whereas nowadays clubs are pitted against smaller or many more equivalent leagues. Just because LOI teams dont go out in the 1st round anymore doesnt mean that they are any better relatively.

Another area to judge progress. What crowds were the likes of the top teams getting in the 70's compared with now? ok, there is a difference in the comparison as seating is more prevalent, but was the LOI more popular then?

redspider

Not trying to sound like I'm being arrogant or anything, but you as a Premier League fan (right?) don't support an Irish team. I'm going to assume you are Dublin based from your posts about mergers in the past. Now, I take it you don't go to watch Pats, Rovers, Shelbourne or Bohs, but are you saying that you and people like you would go to see Dublin North or Dublin South? Dublin City FC simply prove this is not likely to happen...

As for crowds, far greater in the 70's. And the rise of British football (particularily on the television) changed that. Most people who support Man Utd cuz their daddy does or whatever probably don't realise their dad was probably with 30,000 other people at huge Dublin derbies in the 70's.

Why shouldn't Dublin have four major teams? In terms of population it seems about right. A country of ~4million, Dublins population of ~1m, seems fairly logical. If any club is going to collapse and not exactly be "missed" its Dublin City.

An All-Ireland league including the North is exactly what the country needs to arouse interest in the domestic game, though I'm not sure of the implications this would have on the national sides (Doesn't each country need its own league in order to have an international team, or am I way off?). The Setanta Cup has shown it can work, and hopefully the Derry-Linfield games will prove another step forward.

Once something can be done to get people off their proverbial holes and into the grounds every Friday night, the league can improve.

I agree with Red Spider on his point that the EL hasn't radically improved.

No doubt that EL clubs are better than EL clubs were 10 years ago but from a European perspective were still as far behind as ever imho. The only reason we 'seem' to be doing better is that (1) we are getting an edge from starting out season early, (2) there are around 2-3 times as many teams playing european competition annually as there was 10-15 years (ie the pool is diluted) and (3) the exhaustive prelimary system now in place means we are invariably paired up with weakest of these teams year after year.

I disagree with his suggestion about mergings, just forget about it. The only way there is ever going to be two 'big' clubs in Dublin is if another two of them go out of business. Groundshare is always a possibility but clubs will NEVER merge!

Scotland is not a valid basis for comparison either. Like you've already pointed out the Scotish soccer clubs do not have to compete with an organisation as big as the GAA for the publics hearts and minds (and switching the league back to Sep-May isn't going to turn these off-season GAA supporters avid football fans either btw, not in the slightest). Speaking of hearts and minds the Scots don't have to compete to compete the Premiership either! How many Scotish people do you know who support ManU or Liverpool? Not many I'd wager. So there's two things that really eat in to the potential of the EL.

Are you serious? That is the single most ridiculous sentence I have seen on this board since TJR was banned. Are you saying that the standard bearers of 98/99 (the 2 horse race season) who lost 10-0 over 2 legs in Europe are a better team than the teams who have won the league for the last few years, as they had more competition in the league?

LOL

Gimmick im seriously thining you never seen the Pats team of that time.
    Your Beloved CCFC fc mid
    Kearney Callaghan Gamble Fenn O Donovan ,give you 5 cos im nice
    Gormley Russell and Osam just pick 3 of ours at the time.

Our mid has 14 league medals between them yours has 5, our mid was the highest scoring mid ever in El football, we set a points record and goals for record and won 4 leagues with that mid. And you honestly think your team will ever even be good enough to clean their boots is quite funny.

Back to the point of progession, we won leagues and lost leagues vs good teams, playing vs Bohs Rovers Derry Cork and Shels were tough games every week with excitement in every game (usually 11 minutes of added on time in tolka cnuts). Richer had 4 to 5k , every ground we went too had a lot more fans than now. Every game a cracking atmosphere and yes Shels should have won a league then they were a better football team than us but Rico lost the plot :D And of course the biggest game of that era....Pats vs Cork in 98 in Cork total sellout 11 K allegedly at the game....Leon Leon Leon!!!!!

So yes the excitement that is here now and the better football and empty grounds is a massive improvemtn thank you Cork without you it would be ****. :rolleyes:

Usually when you win a league you attempt to win a game in Europe by signing players, but im sure Dolan will ring Rico to tell him who to sign :rolleyes:

kdjac

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    (Doesn't each country need its own league in order to have an international team, or am I way off?)

No, you are spot on. Steve Staunton needs the Eircom League to have a job. Roy Keane needed the Eircom League to allow him to make a comeback of sorts. John Doe needs the Eircom League, its full roster of teams, and the thousands of people who work within these clubs both on and off the pitch to allow them to cheer on the boys in green. They just don't/won't/can't accept this fact, without the Eircom League there would be no international team. But, where's the thanks, money and the support that should go back into it? England. Incredible. Only in Ireland.

Apparently early talks of an All-Ireland league with UEFA would allow special dispensation for the first few years (apparently this figure is about 10 years), allowing an All-Ireland league but 2 seperate national teams. However this would only be a stop measure and there would have to be plans in place with UEFA to have one national team representing the associations league.

Hold on. Is that correct? I'm fairly sure that Liechtenstein don't have a national league for one.

As far as I am aware they have some sort of pass allowing them around it, their population is apparently less than 25,000 and having a league within that small a population would not be workable. Vaduz compete in the Swiss league for these reasons, IIRC.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:

Our mid has 14 league medals between them yours has 5, our mid was the highest scoring mid ever in El football, we set a points record and goals for record and won 4 leagues with that mid. And you honestly think your team will ever even be good enough to clean their boots is quite funny.

In a far worse league. The league in the 90s when these fellas won their medals, was a pub league at best. Not doubting that fellas like Osam were class players in their time mind you.
    Kdjac wrote:
    Kearney Callaghan Gamble Fenn O Donovan ,give you 5 cos im nice
    Gormley Russell and Osam just pick 3 of ours at the time.

Our mid has 14 league medals between them yours has 5

Seeing as we are using ridiculous logic now, Ill add the total amount of years the City lads played in the eL, and you add the total years the 3 you mentioned.

Kearney - 2
    Callaghan - 4
    Gamble - 1.25
    Fenn - 3
    O Donovan - 1
    Total 9 . 25 years

Im still trying to see what differnce it makes?
    KdjaC wrote:
    Back to the point of progession, we won leagues and lost leagues vs good teams, playing vs Bohs Rovers Derry Cork and Shels were tough games every week with excitement in every game (usually 11 minutes of added on time in tolka cnuts). Richer had 4 to 5k , every ground we went too had a lot more fans than now. Every game a cracking atmosphere and yes Shels should have won a league then they were a better football team than us but Rico lost the plot :D And of course the biggest game of that era....Pats vs Cork in 98 in Cork total sellout 11 K allegedly at the game....Leon Leon Leon!!!!!

So your saying that because Pats are no longer a force in the eL that the standard has dropped across the board? As for bringing up that game in January 99, whats your point? If it were possible there would have been 16000 at the Derry game at the end of the season.

You say there were bigger crowds at every ground years ago when Pats visited? maybe thats becasue Pats were then the dominiant team and people got up off their arses to see a good team, and hope that their own could get one over them? Maybe the reason this isnt the case anymore is because Pats are no longer a force?
    KdjaC wrote:
    So yes the excitement that is here now and the better football and empty grounds is a massive improvemtn thank you Cork without you it would be ****. :rolleyes:

Who has empty grounds? Cork City certainly dont, Derry City certainly dont, Shels attendances are up (im told). Im sure its Cork Citys fault that no-one goes to Inchicore anymore, or is the reason closer to home?
    KdjaC wrote:
    Usually when you win a league you attempt to win a game in Europe by signing players, but im sure Dolan will ring Rico to tell him who to sign :rolleyes:

LOL, you really are clueless, and I realise now that rather than trying to have a valid discussion you are trying to do an hilarious wind up. If not is just smacks of a bitter Pats fan living off past glories. Did you not read my last post? If not here we go again
    Do City need to sign anyone? Do City need to go out gratuitously signing nobodies or mercenary has beens? Must City clog up the wage bill with avergae players who are only coming for the money because any half decent club wouldnt pick them up. No club sign players for the sake of it, oh wait, one does - they have signed 7 or so players who would struggle in the 1st Division. Thats progress for ya.

As for the players who have left, well apart from Kearney, who I have ranted on already, the rest are no loss. Willie Bruton played 3, stared one, scored zero and contributed fúck all. Kev Murray played zero 1st team, and very little for the U21s and Greg, while a decent back up player, was neevr going to be a regular in the 1st team. So, how is losing them a big problem???

Ill ask the question to you again in simpler terms, why should City sign anyone if they wont improve the squad???

Ah ya gotta love UEFA. THESE ARE THE RULES .... unless you've got some excuse. :)

Wouldn't be too fond of the all-ireland team anyway. For on thing 'we' ie the FAI are the breakaway so the IFA would probably have grounds for taking charge again and moving all our home games to Belfast. The IFA even competed as 'Ireland' between 1882 and 1921 so they have the precident.They did play a few games in Dublin during that time (but not many) .

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Not trying to sound like I'm being arrogant or anything, but you as a Premier League fan (right?) don't support an Irish team. I'm going to assume you are Dublin based from your posts about mergers in the past. Now, I take it you don't go to watch Pats, Rovers, Shelbourne or Bohs, but are you saying that you and people like you would go to see Dublin North or Dublin South? Dublin City FC simply prove this is not likely to happen...

As for crowds, far greater in the 70's. And the rise of British football (particularily on the television) changed that. Most people who support Man Utd cuz their daddy does or whatever probably don't realise their dad was probably with 30,000 other people at huge Dublin derbies in the 70's.

I agree with you that a merger is not going to happen. Thats why I wrote in caps in the post "I DO NOT think that a merger is going to happen. I'm realistic". And I would definitely agree with you that the non-attending people at the moment would not go to support a non-emotive Dublin North or Dublin South.

I would leave the thought with people to look at Rugby in Ireland. No-one 20 years ago would have thought that the provinces would be ran like clubs and would have huge levels of support. They have concentrated and it has worked out very well. Concentration in LOI is needed. Getting there is not easy.

I do support an LOI team though and I have been to LOI games. I dont go very often but that doesnt mean that I wont go again. I go to English league games seldom, as well. I wouldn't be classified as someone that would be overly enamoured with the English league.

The point about the crowds in the 70's was that I thought they were more than they are now, and you would agree with that. I stated my question slightly wrong, I should have written: "but wasn't the LOI more popular then?"

redspider

^ Football was more popular then, thats not an Irish thing, its a universal thing IMO.

RE Rugby, I see what you are saying but if Irish football became what like Irish Rugby is like now I'd emigrate. There was a full Thomond park yesterday, and I can guarantee you 75% of the crowd didnt have a clue of the rules, they just knew that Munster need to win by a certain margin, then they could all go away and p*ss into pint glasses and pull each others pants down in celebration. These people wouldnt have attended an inter pro game 10 years ago, these people probably dont even know there is an All Ireland League. It is mostly rich kids and corpaortes at these games showing off that they know thw words to 'fields of athenry' (though I have yyet to figure what a Galway song has to do with Munster). God I hate rugby.

gimmick wrote:
    RE Rugby, I see what you are saying but if Irish football became what like Irish Rugby is like now I'd emigrate. There was a full Thomond park yesterday, and I can guarantee you 75% of the crowd didnt have a clue of the rules, they just knew that Munster need to win by a certain margin, then they could all go away and p*ss into pint glasses and pull each others pants down in celebration. These people wouldnt have attended an inter pro game 10 years ago, these people probably dont even know there is an All Ireland League. It is mostly rich kids and corpaortes at these games showing off that they know thw words to 'fields of athenry' (though I have yyet to figure what a Galway song has to do with Munster). God I hate rugby.

Rofl! :D:D:D

Ahh Gimmick again your Corkeeness is amazing, who can win the league next year? I think one of 2 clubs. Who could win the league in the 90s one of 6. Its really that simple the more clubs with decent teams the better the game and more fans who go. Mad i know but hey there you go.

And why sign anyone who cant improve the team well thats simple to progress, you were thumped by Slavia so to progress you have to get to a level better than what you were. And shockingly signing new and better players is the way to go.

kdjac

• Advertisement

^ But if no players are available that will improve the squad, what is one to do? Rico reckons there are very few players in the eL who would improve Citys squad. IMO Pats took one of them in Dave Mulcahy (forgot you had signed him), the others are under contract for a few years yet, so would command large fees, which no eL club could afford. He also stated that the standard of player from the UK required is at least Championship level, and the wages there are averaging about £2K stg a week, again, no eL club can afford. This in part ios the reason I started that other thread on 'Can The EL Continue Its Progress?'.

Thumped by Slavia? 4-1 over 2 legs hardly counts as a thumping. What it did do however, is show eL players how far they have to go before being considered a force. Its certainly alot better going out with the heads held high against a team who made it past the group stages, than losing in the opening preliminary round to anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

gimmick wrote:

Just because all other Dub clubs aside from Shels are backward with no real ambition other than basic survival, doesnt mean the rest of the league are of a similar mind set. There are some very progressive clubs in Ireland, outside The Pale. Anyways, your post is somewhat off topoc, as this is about stadium sharing rather than merging teams.

The fact that you mentioned jackeen in a sentence shows your bitterness. So the Dublin clubs, shels excepted, are backward with no real ambition?? You and the guy who started this thread must be related cos that is idiotic.

As usual a section of cark fans have a selective short memory. Lads there was no league before 5 years ago:rolleyes: and if there was it was a pub league. In 1983 there was NO senior football in cork city ffs.

Anyway back on topic we were not represented on that meeting so the star got that wrong friday. We will not be sharing Richer as we have an agreement with SDCC to play 40 games a year in Tallaght. Very much doubt that oily will have shels playing in dalymount.

speriamo wrote:
    As usual a section of cark fans have a selective short memory. Lads there was no league before 5 years ago:rolleyes: and if there was it was a pub league. In 1983 there was NO senior football in cork city ffs.

Point being?

speriamo wrote:
    The fact that you mentioned jackeen in a sentence shows your bitterness. So the Dublin clubs, shels excepted, are backward with no real ambition?? You and the guy who started this thread must be related cos that is idiotic.

Anyway back on topic we were not represented on that meeting so the star got that wrong friday. We will not be sharing Richer as we have an agreement with SDCC to play 40 games a year in Tallaght. Very much doubt that oily will have shels playing in dalymount.

I would say that all the clubs in Dublin bar Shels have no money. They have all spent without looking longterm.

Richmond Park is a disgrace, rover are a mess, Dalymount is stagnant.

Shels are the leaders of the pack in Ireland in every respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gimmick wrote:

Feeling left out? Why dont Cork come up and groundshare in Tallagaht so? :)

• Advertisement

Well Rovers played a 'home' tie in Cork quite recently, so that ( ^ ) makes no sense :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Good old EL .... Like most things Irish, so wrapped up in politics, disputes, rivalries and stuborness that you'd bite off your nose to spite your face...

No foresight for long term goals, progressing the national game and having a competetive league...which is why it'll never be anything more than mickey mouse :)

Typical Dubs you mean!:D

I would say that all the clubs in Dublin bar Shels have no money. They have all spent without looking longterm.

Richmond Park is a disgrace, rover are a mess, Dalymount is stagnant.

Shels are the leaders of the pack in Ireland in every respect.

I would say that you havent a clue what you're talking about. We are certainly not in any mess:rolleyes: For first time ever we have people in charge of the club who care for the club. We have a guarantee that SDCC will finish Tallaght and that we will be anchor tenants rent free.

If shels are the leaders of the pack why do they have a convicted criminal in charge? Why are we the only club paying our players properly i.e. payslips with all the relevant deductions done?

Wasnt too long ago you lot were bankrupt in bishopstown.........

Dubguy the national game is GAA:rolleyes:

speriamo wrote:
    I would say that you havent a clue what you're talking about. We are certainly not in any mess:rolleyes: For first time ever we have people in charge of the club who care for the club. We have a guarantee that SDCC will finish Tallaght and that we will be anchor tenants rent free.

If shels are the leaders of the pack why do they have a convicted criminal in charge? Why are we the only club paying our players properly i.e. payslips with all the relevant deductions done?

Wasnt too long ago you lot were bankrupt in bishopstown.........

Dubguy the national game is GAA:rolleyes:

Rovers have been in a mess since they left Milltown.

They look like they are getting they're act together now. They will be playing in the 1st division next year.

So, I stand by what I say.

Shels are the leaders of the pack.

Rovers have been in a mess since they left Milltown.

They look like they are getting they're act together now. They will be playing in the 1st division next year.

So, I stand by what I say.

Shels are the leaders of the pack.

Looks like you're in a mess judging by your posts. We will be playing in the 1st division this season if there is one.

^ Excuse my ignorance, but why wouldnt there be a 1st division this coming season?

speriamo wrote:
    Looks like you're in a mess judging by your posts. We will be playing in the 1st division this season if there is one.

What do you mean Im in a mess?:confused:

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Excuse my ignorance, but why wouldnt there be a 1st division this coming season?

The meeting between the El and the FAI went so well there is no definitive format for either division, reconvene next week or so.

Rovers have a gaurantee from the SDCC but anything that comes from goverment overules that, why do the GAA want that ground so bad, they have enough.

Spamiamo, blu sonic, would you be happy with us in Tallaght?

Dubguy have you read the Man Utd Pool thread?

Seems the beloved PL fans have issues with each other and rivalries and other things retarded.

kdjac

Advertisement