Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet's electricity deal

Options
  • 21-01-2006 3:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[This was posted in November, however it's news to me either way.]
    Magnet's electricity deal: Magnet Networks has taken a shortcut to national coverage by doing a deal with the ESB to use its power lines as broadband carriers.
    WTF? I suspect that Weckler is confused; that Magnet will be using ESB fibre, and not power lines?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its fibre as you say.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are ESB PLT tests. I hope they fail or it is banned. terrrible technolgy.

Also adaptors (seen locally for sale) to do high speed LAN over domestic mains via plug sockets should be illegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

watty wrote:
    There are ESB PLT tests. I hope they fail or it is banned. terrrible technolgy.

Also adaptors (seen locally for sale) to do high speed LAN over domestic mains via plug sockets should be illegal.
    Yeah, and mobile phones should be banned too, cos they make speakers go buzzzz

Honest to god. :rolleyes:

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Before this thread goes off topic, this is about Fibre distribution to the various exchanges using ESB's (who happen to do electricity as well as networks) cable ducts and not sending broadband down electricity lines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Yeah, and mobile phones should be banned too, cos they make speakers go buzzzz
    Mobiles affect out of band stuff only within arms length. Mobiles don't wipe out entire bands over long distances.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Emerson wrote:
    Before this thread goes off topic, this is about Fibre distribution to the various exchanges using ESB's (who happen to do electricity as well as networks) cable ducts and not sending broadband down electricity lines.
    The bulk of ESB's fibre is wrapped around HT power lines as opposed to ducts, so it's kinda sorta true that it's being delivered over power lines. It's certainly a cleaner solution than PLT.

Mobiles affect out of band stuff only within arms length. Mobiles don't wipe out entire bands over long distances.
    I was expressing frustration with the usual whining about PLT. Now I'm expressing boredom with the usual obtuseness about postings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Hi there, recently I was knocking about up at Kevins Street Barracks and I saw what could only be described as a local curiosity shop selling some device which claimed it could transform a regular electricity socket into a phone line!! Anybody care to expand on that one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I was expressing frustration with the usual whining about PLT. Now I'm expressing boredom with the usual obtuseness about postings.

Hi there- obtusity of post is a common disease around here. Tell me about it. By the way I have a sincere distrust of anything that the ESB are involved in. the ESB can't even guarantee constant supplies of lekky. And you're right. Mobile phones do make speakers go buzz......more like "ta-te-ta-ta-teh-ta-te-ta" etc

Ken Shabby wrote:

Usual whining? Obviously you don't care if one user destroys a large chunk of radio spectrum for everyone else. Properly EMC designed equipment isn't affected by mobile phones
    IT Loser wrote:
    Hi there, recently I was knocking about up at Kevins Street Barracks and I saw what could only be described as a local curiosity shop selling some device which claimed it could transform a regular electricity socket into a phone line!!

You need two of them, one connects to the phone line and the other to the phone.

Not a great idea from point of view of privacy, I'd want to know what safety type approvals it has too before killing Eircom lines men or electrocuting the Wife answering phone in barefeet and wet out of bath etc.

You can do things over the mains safely, without interference and with privacy, in theory. But the only devices I personally know that do, only use the plug socket for electricity.

You can also get wireless adaptors for ordinary phones too (say to conect Sky Digibox or PC modem without an extension cable).

• Advertisement

Metro is using ESB fibre in Limerick for Backhaul. Except last Thursday & Friday they wern't. Digiweb said it was an ESB problem.

watty wrote:
    Usual whining? Obviously you don't care if one user destroys a large chunk of radio spectrum for everyone else. Properly EMC designed equipment isn't affected by mobile phones
    Neah neah neah. Like I said...

Advertisement