Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewalling, Win98, WinXP and filesharing.... arrrgggh!!!

Options
  • 21-01-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a headwrecking networking situation on my hands. I have a small LAN, on which resides four PCs, two of which run Windows XP Pro and the other two Windows 98 SE.

One of the WinXP PCs has a DSL connection, firewalled by McAfee Security Centre (it came with the PC) and by Windows Firewall, and internet connection sharing has been recently enabled. The other WinXP PC has a ZoneAlarm firewall in place. I'm using the WinXP PC as an Internet client of the "main PC", i.e., I have Internet access from it.

I'm not using either Win98 for Internet purposes (I don't trust the security of the OS), so I've disabled TCP/IP protocol usage on them completely. Neither Win98 PC has a firewall in place (I presume this doesn't matter if TCP/IP protocol is not in use...?).

The thing is, I also need to have local filesharing between all PCs on the LAN, and therefore I'm using the old Novell IPX/SPX protocol so that I can communicate with the Win98 PC. The drives of each PC are publicly shared with no access passwords. But what happens is that both WinXP PCs can see all the files on the Win98 PCs, and the Win98 PCs can see the files on each other's drives, but the Win98 PCs can't see any files on either WinXP PC.

I've tried re-setting McAfee's firewall settings, but what seems to be happening is that communication via IPX/SPX seems to be blocked in one direction, i.e., from Win98 to WinXP, but not the other way round, strangely!!

Can anyone advise on what settings I might have overlooked, or simply gotten wrong?

A thousand thanks in advance for your help folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Install filezilla FTP server on each machine and use filezilla FTP client to connect to the machines.

Reason i say Filezilla is because its free!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

On the 2 winxp PC's you'll need to have an account created on them that has the same name as the account that is logged in on the win98 PC's.
    These 2 accounts may also need to be local administrators, I can't remember if a normal account has the 'Login from the network' user right by default in winxp.
    Winxp even when you set the share to access for everyone will still need an account, you could also enable the guest account on both PC's but that probably wouldn't be a good idea from a security point of view.

The only other problem I could see that you might have is with frame types in IPX, they all need to use the same frame type, by default its set to auto, I can't remember exactly where its set but its in the properties on IPX protocol somewhere, set them all to be Ethernet_II.

Advertisement