Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Town

Options
  • 21-01-2006 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Ok, i posted back in September that I was moving to Lettekenny and got buckets of great advice on where to go house hunting. I found a house, and its great, the new job is great, but I can't get over how difficult it is to meet people here. Everyone seems to be in tight cliques with no room for a newbie. Its really getting me down. where are all the clubs, societies, pubs with a bit of chat? If you talk to people they seem to look at ya as if yer mad. (Which I might be, in the good sense of the word (",)

Have other people had this problem? Is it a north-west thing? a letterkenny thing? Or are we turning into a country of snobs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

weeginger wrote:
    Ok, i posted back in September that I was moving to Lettekenny and got buckets of great advice on where to go house hunting. I found a house, and its great, the new job is great, but I can't get over how difficult it is to meet people here. Everyone seems to be in tight cliques with no room for a newbie. Its really getting me down. where are all the clubs, societies, pubs with a bit of chat? If you talk to people they seem to look at ya as if yer mad. (Which I might be, in the good sense of the word (",)

Have other people had this problem? Is it a north-west thing? a letterkenny thing? Or are we turning into a country of snobs?
    try going down to buncrana.. people down here are always up for a laugh!, :cool:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm inclined to think it's more a Letterkenny thing? Probably down to its bigger size? I dunno.

I tend to go out seldom in Letterkenny now, and go back to Donegal Town for nights out with people I know instead, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Where are good pubs to meet people? McGinleys on Main St seems to be popular with locals, though I don't fancy wandering in and looking like an outcast! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Try the Grill on a Friday night - there's agreat DJ there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote:
    Try the Grill on a Friday night - there's agreat DJ there ;)

Now now muffler. Weeginger is looking to meet people
    There is only one DJ in the grill on a friday.

Now , if weeginger wants to go up and say hello to the dj Im sure he will be able to tell her where all the "in" places are around letterkenny.

Apart from all that i havent seen smashey suggesting anything else to help this little bundle of dynamite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Erm - when I moved to Letterkenny I found it to be quite the opposite.

No matter where you move to, it's hard to make friends, and the older you get the harder that becomes. You have to be opressively friendly to people.

But, certainly in Letterkenny, you can easily make friends with your workmates simply by going to the pub with them on a Friday afternoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

I find that from knowing one person you can get to know loads of people in the town as everybody knows everybody else, so all you need to do is get to know some people at work and head out with them.
    After a few pints everybodly wanna be your friend and you'll be invited to a load of parties=)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I would agree with Civilian_Target - I found LK great for meeting people when I moved up. Maybe it was because I hooked up with a couple of other blow-ins, and through them I met loads of people. I honestly believe that LK is a very friendly place.

How about trying out alternatives to the pub scene - get involved in musicals, plays, dance classes, evening courses, whatever floats your boat, I guarantee things will kick off.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, I should get out more! :)

BTW, munky, gotta love that smiley thing in your signature! :)

Now then weeginger, there is a lot of good advice there and if you follow along those lines you are bound to get to know a lot of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Weeginger,

apart from making friends with people at work, there are some new classes starting at this time of year. I think LYIT sports centre are going to run some jive classes, and fitness classes. also Fas and Rossan college will be starting classes soon if they haven't already.
    Josie's runs salsa classes some night, and the community centre runs ballroom dancing as well.
    I figure it will be mostly girls at these dance classes so you might meet some people to talk to. It's pretty hard to make friends in pubs and clubs as people are usually with a group anyway.
    another option is the film club. you join at the arts centre under the library and they have special nights about once a month i think.

HTH's

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Re the dance classes, Idid some salsa lessons a couple of years back and would highly recommend it, great craic, great for meeting people, and again you can come along by yourself.

Also, Table Quizzes are a good way of meeting people - as it happens, the one for the Letterkenny Music and Drama Group on tomorrow night (Tuesday, 24th January) in the Orchard. everyone's welcome, and you can come along on your todd and hook up with a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

Or mcginleys on a monday night, you'll be a hit if your really smart or have google on your phone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dandanthe

I know what you mean. Ive lived in the l/kenny catchment area for 7 years and advice from other people locally is that if your not from the town you will always be a 'blow in'. the thing to remember is that due to recent expansion of the town, probably 50% of the local populus fall in to the 'blow in' category. It is a clic-ish town allright.
    At the weekends, people come from everywhere for a night out, so you should have no probs. During the week, join a foreign language class. There are loads of courses going on during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I moved here over 7 years ago, and I've always found it to be an extremely friendly town. There was no real master-plan at work, either, I think I just got to know people through people at work mostly. But it's the sort of town where people you meet once (with mutual friends in tow) tend to be really friendly the next time you bump into them. One of my closest friends now was introduced to me by a then-friend who I've since lost contact with.

Having said that, I have no close friends who are actually from the town itself, but lots from around the county and around the country. So maybe we blow-ins need to stick together.

As for having a master plan... I don't know. Going alone to a table quiz wouldn't accomplish much (that Drama/Music quiz was good fun, but not much fun for a stranger, I'm sure). Maybe, getting involved with the Film Club, or joining a night-class of some sort.

Basically, in my experience of this town, if you are in the company of a group you'll soon find more and more people to chat to on successive nights out. So, joining a night class for 8 weeks. Hopefully everyone goes out for a drink on the last night, maybe bringing a partner or sibling or whatever, so that you've got 16 or so people sitting around.

Bound to someone there you'd get on with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Being from Letterkenny I'm dismayed you feel that way. I don't think anyone of the towns folk go out of their way to meet new people but do they anywhere?

I think you'll find shared interests eg in Live music, etc seems to be the way for most people. The bar thing is a bit hard as people usually go out with mates anyway and lots of the Bars have loud music so interaction is rare too.

Why not post your interests and see if anyone shares them. Its always good to meet new people and I'd like to think people bring something to the town as well, often there is a lot to learn from new people. In time you'll find Letterkenny homely. Maybe it just takes time. Welcome anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I went to school in L/Kenny and the Irish teacher was bemoaning the number of "blow-ins" (now this was back in teh late '80s). he counted off the "real Letterkenny men" and included me. When I pointed out that my Dad was a Galwegian he looked liek I'd slapped him and said something along the lines of "Jaysus, so you're a blow in as well!"

Unless people in teh town know your family then you will always be a blow in. But you could say that about almost every town in the country. What I will say about L/kenny is that everyone does know everyone so all you need to do is pal up with one or two people and within a few weeks you'll know half the towm.

And more worryingly they will know you, you life history and inside leg measurment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I was in college in LK circa 98/99.
    It was a lot smaller back then and everybody knew everybody.
    It was great.

Having said that I have been up there many times since for a night out and it has changed alot.
    It's to be expected tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

PlayGirl wrote:
    try going down to buncrana.. people down here are always up for a laugh!, :cool:

Aye visit the drift inn on saturdays before you head out to liberties, i'm the skinny lad behind the bar with the never relenting smile :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dun na nGal

Cara House is a community sort of drop in house at the top of the market square. It would be a good place to start for anyone who's finding relocating a bit hard because if you don't fancy any of the stuff they're running you'll get loads of info on what's on offer in town in general.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

You are a bit vague about your age, interests etc, so why not start a 'Friendly' Letterkenny blow-ins thread, nothing ventured, nothing gained ! ;) .

Good luck.

P. :cool:

Advertisement