Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card advice

Options
  • 21-01-2006 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi guys...

I'm fairly copped on about most aspects of pc modding/upgrading, but I don't know much about graphics cards because I never really did much gaming.

However, I now have the opportunity to get a new graphics card for free -
    the geforce FX5700 .

only thing is, when I compare it against my old graphics card, the geforce 2 ti, I see that the m-texel fillrate for the Geforce 2 ti is 2000 mt/s, while the fx5700 is 1700 mt/s. can anyone tell me what this means for real world performance? Surely I'm not better sticking with an old agp 4x card with less memory bandwidth?

just fyi, I got the specs for the cards here, it's a pretty good side-by-side nvidida card comparison on wikipedia.

thanks for any help,
    C

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As bad as the 5700 is for the current day stuff, it's infinity better then a Geforce 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How much better would a 128mb 9600xt agp be compared to pci fx5200 256mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

krazy_8s wrote:

easilt twice as good i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dman_15 wrote:
    easilt twice as good i'd say
    Nah, more like four times:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

PCI fx5200 = counterstrike source at 800x600 in Dxlevel 7 with everything on low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭davie_b

had an agp 5200 gainward played everything well just about!!!
    look if your not in to gaming min spec is good enough esp compared
    to ps and x box gaming(restricted by tv)
    if its free take it cause you get nothing for nothing:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

PCI fx5200 = counterstrike source at 800x600 in Dxlevel 7 with everything on low.

lol Crises used to have that card got 15fps in css

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahh the FX5700 was a disappointing card, unless it was the Ultra version which wasn't too bad. But yeah it would be a good whack better than the Geforce 2 which is positively archaic these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

cheers for the replies.

can anyone think of a way to quieten down the noisy fan on the 5700? should I just take off the fan and put some Wd-40 on the bearings?

I'm not going to buy a graphics waterblock or anything, I think that's just overkill given what I've been spending on the pc lately - I'd have to go to double rad then since I'm already running cpu and northbridge on watercooling.

but the card does have a really loud whine, so any practical ideas for quieting that down? can you buy a new fan for peanuts or anything?

cheers,
    C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Arctic Cooler + eBay if you can't afford HiTide

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

agg that would be the perfect solution. damn you wizz for showing me something I can't justify buying :D:D

i've spent way too much on my pc. I've now decided i'm not allowed to spend anything but time on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

krazy_8s wrote:
    It so happens I've got a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT AGP 8x graphics card I'm selling for €75 incl p&p if you're interested? /shameless plug :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sry but iv got one ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Where are HiTide based they seem reasonable enough, and whats delivery charge/time like.

Advertisement