Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sweet dreams are made of these who are we to disagree travel the world and the seven

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

darkman2 wrote:
    Major improvement with the 12z, shows somes interesting developements as early as 144 that ultimately lead to an Easterly:)
    I saw that, it looks good but has no support from the other ensembles. I wait to see what the 18z says about it:)

darkman2 wrote:
    Major improvement with the 12z, shows somes interesting developements as early as 144 that ultimately lead to an Easterly:)

All FI stuff though so pointless.

Even the FI stuff shows a easterly briefly with pressure too high and not too dissimilar to what we have now and then a feed off the continent that is sourced all the way from africa which is hardly a fridge.
    In other words a warm continental feed.

Mindy you given how hopeless these models are maybe that means we will get a cold continental feed...when what we are actually going to get becomes more apparent 4 or 5 days out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Level 3 weather warning here on the Cote D'Azur. Some sleet on lower hills this afternoon. Snow predicted for coastal areas tomorrow. Very severe for this area/time of year. Police Municipal met every school bus this evening and informed waiting parents that all school buses have already been cancelled for tomorrow.

I just might not get up...

Hagar wrote:
    Level 3 weather warning here on the Cote D'Azur. Some sleet on lower hills this afternoon. Snow predicted for coastal areas tomorrow. Very severe for this area/time of year. Police Municipal met every school bus this evening and informed waiting parents that all school buses have already been cancelled for tomorrow.

I just might not get up...
    Yeah I was talking to a friend of mine thats driving from Nice on the med up the alps for a spot of ski-ing over the w/end
    I told him it should be an interesting journey given that it will be snowing on the coast before he even gets onto the higher ground, never mind the mountains.
    It snowed in Nice last february aswell-hard to believe its on the med and averages in the 30's c for much of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Earthman wrote:
    We are not the south or the south East of England.

Yep..and long may that be the case :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I guess I have reason to think that one shouldn't write off winter weather till well into March. Below are the top 10 low temps (Or should that be low 10 temps :confused: ) I've recorded this decade.

1. March 1st 2004........... -4.9C
    2. January 1st 2002.........-4.8C
    3. March 2nd 2004 ..........-4.6C
    4. March 2nd 2001...........-4.3C
    5. February 15th 2003......-4.2C
    6. March 3rd 2001............-3.9C
    7. March 9th 2004............-3.8C
    8. March 4th 2001............-3.6C
    9. March 19th 2003..........-3.5C
    10.January 28th 2000........-3.3C

7 out of 10 have occurred in March, with 3 on successive days in 2001 and 3 in March 2004

2005 is not in the list, lowest temp in that year was -2.9C on December 29th
    The low temp during winter 04/05 was -2.8C on February 2nd 2005

And while the cold spell in Mar 01 had fairly low daytime temps, that wasn't the case in March 04, and generally backs up a point made by Longfield, that snowfalls in March generally melt quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

funny the amoutn of rain were getting on the east coast today!
    Probably would of amounted to nearly 2cm's of snow so far!!

Its actually been raining for d last hour! some ice in there too might
    be abi interesting later

We are really scraping the bottom of the barrell if we start getting excited about rain with little bits of wet hail but ho hum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What's the weather like Fabius Maximus?
    Hail, Caesar.

I'll get me coat... I'll%20get%20me%20coat.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Certainly a more fitting title for this thread :)

Saw this link on net-weather to a web cam in Milan - its sickening to see the amount of snow they are getting, I really think I might emigrate somewhere :( To think if the fantasy runs had come off as depicted we could have been looking at scenes like this

http://www.milanocam.it/duomo/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Felixdhc wrote:
    Certainly a more fitting title for this thread :)

Saw this link on net-weather to a web cam in Milan - its sickening to see the amount of snow they are getting, I really think I might emigrate somewhere :( To think if the fantasy runs had come off as depicted we could have been looking at scenes like this

http://www.milanocam.it/duomo/index.php

Dont speak too soon as it appears the UKMO and ECM are increasingly hinting at a possible Easterly toward the end of next weekend:)

But But we have an easterly now ....

Current temp of 5.1c but with a dewpoint of 2.5c you can tell its not a real easterly-just modified British air with a hint of Atlantic from a mucky high.

Hail shower at about 4am or so here by the way but then we get them in the summer.

As regards the proper Easterly I'll believe it when I see it.
    The HP block lasting another 2 weeks would be crazy weather...

Latest ECM is brilliant and shows that an Easterly is developing gradually around the 150 mark. Dosnt look like much yet but divergence in the latest ensembles hint at a possible Easterly very soon. Watch this space:D http://www.wetter.com/home/img/sat/gme_cl_EU/m/xl/200601281200_168.gif(GEM formally DWD)

ECM: http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!168!Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2006012812!!chart.gif

A brilliant chart that. This has gradually been getting upgraded over the last day or so:)

Now JMA hops on the wagonhttp://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rjma1441.gif

Rjma1681.gif

The only thing I will say is the Easterly that ECM were showing for *cough* today 10 days ago was even better.
    I've still got the wood chopped from that one though and the freezers still full.

Incidently I wouldnt say brilliant unless the high was a bit further north.
    I dont like the precipitation at 1025mb's-its always too light.

Earthman wrote:
    The only thing I will say is the Easterly that ECM were showing for *cough* today 10 days ago was even better.
    I've still got the wood chopped from that one though and the freezers still full.

Incidently I wouldnt say brilliant unless the high was a bit further north.
    I dont like the precipitation at 1025mb's-its always too light.

Brilliant in the sense that a trend appears to be developing. As ever though an anxious wait ahead:cool:

People never learn..that far ahead is called FI for good reason..flip a coin..thats about as reliable a predictor that is at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Oh no..............its starting again...arghhhhhhh :eek:

Lol at the title !, i bet the 00 kids dont know where it came from !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Longfield wrote:
    Lol at the title !, i bet the 00 kids dont know where it came from !!

Indeed, but it's givng away my age too much.

As for the current, setup, deja vu and Sweet dreams indeed....,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Nice white morning here anyway - even if its only frost :)
    - 4.2 during the night at some stage.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

at least a slow cooling trend is gonna get underway towards the first 2 weeks
    of February:)

Like the title:) The Eurythmics were the creators of that weren't they??

I see that the charts are hinting at a cold spell at around a week away. I'll believe it when I see it;)

We saw what happened with the predictions for around now. We get a frosty morning for our troubles.

I cannot see it happening with the poor accuracy of the models at the moment and even the FI charts now are not as good (in the snowy outlook sense) as the charts were over a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ms Cusack didn't seem to be giving anything but westernly next week, the easterly looked to fighting it but it looked set to loose out to it by late in the week. I can't see anything decent coming our way.

Here we go again folkd.. the roller-coaster is looking for passengers and ready
    to take off:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just home from Edinburgh, it rained heavy till 3pm yesterday, no sleet/hail/snow in sight there, even the mountains/hills around edinburgh had no snow.

Looks like a northerly is in development just inside FI. There has been signs of it for a while. A typical retrogression scenario really that is a genuine possibility:)

Going to be a brrrrrr night in Birr

Temperature already at -5c at 2100:eek:

A nut could be crunched here tonight.. Hold on to ure hats folks:eek:

Cold Unsettled weather set for Ireland from next week.

A cold Northerly flow looks like it will become established next week and
    may be the precusor to a longer spell of cold weather.

Heavy wintry showers will push from the north late Tuesday and through
    Wednesday. Snowfall is possible during Tuesday night.

Wind may turn northeasterly later in the week and there is a possibility for
    an easterly to develop.

A trend change is taking place and some weather is going to visit us for a change!

• Advertisement

Could that be classified as a ramp?!? I mean it in a good way as I'm almost desperate for something to cling to. I've been following this FI northerly and it looks very uncertain as to its potential and I wouldn't be too optimistic of severe cold or snow, like 2001.

Now that the northerly is in a realistic timeframe, the temperatures forecast are not extreme and the northerlies of November 05 and Xmas 04 were both more potent than what's forecast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement