Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing training inquiry.

Options
  • 21-01-2006 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

I was interested in starting Boxing training. I was surprised that most gyms near me only train 2-3 [2 at most] days a week. Why is this? Are there gyms that train daily?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very few gyms have access to the premises every day as the premises usually belong to the community and there are other activities on as well. So the boxing clubs are actually within the 'community centre', hence all the gear involved has to be taken away after each session and stored for the next session. One club I know is Darndale BC which is in a 'community centre', but it has its boxing club in this centre, above the main hall. It's got its own ring and all and they train at least 5 nights a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

walshb wrote:
    Very few gyms have access to the premises every day as the premises usually belong to the community and there are other activities on as well. So the boxing clubs are actually within the 'community centre', hence all the gear involved has to be taken away after each session and stored for the next session. One club I know is Darndale BC which is in a 'community centre', but it has its boxing club in this centre, above the main hall. It's got its own ring and all and they train at least 5 nights a week.

Thanks walshB. I thought Boxing would be more popular in Ireland and thta the boxing clubs would have their own gyms. Where is Darndale BC btw?

Darndale BC is just off the Malahide Road. If you are heading towards the UCI in Coolock from the City Centre, it's half a mile away and a left at the roundabout there.

walshb wrote:
    Darndale BC is just off the Malahide Road. If you are heading towards the UCI in Coolock from the City Centre, it's half a mile away and a left at the roundabout there.

Thanks again walshb. Btw. How far is Darndale from Kilkenny?

Maybe a bit too far if you plan on jogging to training. About 80 miles, so if you leave for training on a Monday, you might get there for Thursday's session!!!!....

It's North Dublin by the way....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭This is

most clubs should be open 5 nites a week for trainin wen the season is in full swing, for underage competitions etc

Does anyone know where there is a good place to train for a guy thats 30 and close to Kilkenny? Bagenalstown told me I was too old and Paulstown told me to wait until Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

what about st Michaels in Athy, a great club, and possibly not amazingly far from you, not exactly around the corner either

what about st Michaels in Athy, a great club, and possibly not amazingly far from you, not exactly around the corner either

Thanks Chris. I'll give them a call.

Advertisement