Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R/C Drifting

Options
  • 21-01-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

ANyone here do it? ever heard of it? ever done it even?:rolleyes:
    I think i will try start it, it looks really kool and fun so i will try pick up a good deal on a tt-01 chassis set on beya soon
    maybe some of yas here will join me in this area :P
    Here is a video of some poeple dirfting:
    PS: the music is great in this video too :rolleyes:
    http://rc-drift.com/rc-drift-gallery/displayimage.php?album=17&pos=10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Back in the day I tried it with my TR-4. I put packing tape around the front wheels, they still had power to them along with the back wheels. When i powered up the car just dind 360s in the one spot if I applied steering. Then I removed the belt to power the front wheels and removed the tape. I still had no success but to be honest I didn't spend much time at it. The whole experiment took about 30 mins.

If I had a car again drifting is something I wuld really like to try.

Hakko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

if you pick up a complete tt-01 kit on ebay maybe or buy new it is very easy, can get some abs pipe or pvc pipe 50mm in diameter and put it onver your weels make sure the shocks are stiff then go out and keep trying, if you feel u arnt getting any traction still put some electrical tape on the back weels
    oh yeah i forgot to say Lock the diffs! i dont know how or where/what they are but i will have to find out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Flunked wrote:
    make sure the shocks are stiff :P

I am sure I read somewhere that soft suspension gives better drifts. ;)

your right, but that if you have taped tires, use stiffer tires for pipe tires ;)

Flunked wrote:
    use stiffer tires for pipe tires ;)
    :confused:
    Sounds confusing.. :D

• Advertisement

um.... woops :p
    You are supposed to have soft shocks when using leccie taped up tires
    but
    if you are using ABS or PVC or PE pipe tires the shocks should be stiff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

right have no experience with rc cars but about your difs its the em thingy that provides power to the axles from the shaft thing coming from the engine

it will be a little box thing with a shaft going to each wheel and to the engine

when it says locking them this means that both wheels will be drivin at the same time normally only one wheel is spinning so this makes both spin called limited dif slip aswell

crap explanation i know what it is myself brother is real into cars just not great at explainin

that was actualy helpful, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

that style looks pretty good, what sort of cars are they, is it just the one model type and are they elec only.

that style looks pretty good, what sort of cars are they, is it just the one model type and are they elec only.

You can use any model you like
    And I also have a vid clip of some dude drifting with a nitro :eek:
    Man can he handle it. :D
    I will post it up when I can find it. ;)

• Advertisement

nitro and leccie work but lots go for leccie cars because they are ofen cheaper
    but they do need to be touring cars :) alot of the tamiya touring cars are suppoedly the best ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Apologies for resurrecting an oldish thread, I was just wondering if there was anyone still into this? I've found a couple of Irish lads on the driftrcentral.com forum and I was just curious if anyone here was interested... I know vectra has a tough time keeping his car from going sideways, but that's more of an accident I think! :)

2 Espressi wrote:
    I know vectra has a tough time keeping his car from going sideways, but that's more of an accident I think! :)

Ermm..!! :(
    and how might you know that ? :rolleyes:

*Edit*

Just looked at your profile..

Got rid of that chassis bud
    Now the one I have is literaly like a train on tracks.. My son even gets in my way now..
    Unfortunately I have this one sold once this championship is over.. Then it is back to the grindstone on getting my Mi2 set up that I got in from Florida..:D

just remember (i never told you) that if you or anybody in the fermoy model club is selling electronic (or nitro) cars (any, preferrably touring) hit me up :):)

Flunked wrote:
    just remember (i never told you) that if you or anybody in the fermoy model club is selling electronic (or nitro) cars (any, preferrably touring) hit me up :):)

Tell me what you are looking for bud and i will hook you up with something.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

A tsn4 driving only the back wheels seems to drift quite well.
    I found this out when my front belt snapped. It also cool for doing donoughts. (is that spelt right?)

sounds fun apart from needing spares, tho for drifting 4wd is almost always needed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

DTS you have a very good point there.
    Essentially, "drifting" is just a fancy term for "oversteer" - a feature of all rear wheel drive vehicles - but in drifting, the oversteer is extended by using low traction tyres......

You could test out your current rear wheel setup with slicks - in the rain, or on a frosty morning, and you should be able to "drift" to your heart's content...

The 4WD setup just reduces the car's tendency to "flick" as it oversteers, causing a spinout.

I expect slicks on rear, and treads on front would be nice setup for drifting a normal car on a greasy surface.

1/10 cars aren't heavy enough to drift properly with 2wd, unless you coutn doing it veryslowly on a zero grip surface. I like to go a bit quicker than that.

I wonder would a gyro on the steering servo be useful while drifting?
    Have you heard of anyone using gyros?

• Advertisement

I've asked about this in the past, it doesn't seem that anyone has used this before, though HPI japan have produced the Drift box
    drft_02.jpg
    "The D-BOX":
    Secret Weapon For Your Drift Distance and Angle

Just connect the D-BOX to a steering servo, and the D-BOX will powerfully assist your drift driving. The device weighing only 6.7g will change your drift world!

The ultrasmall yaw control sensor in the D-BOX weighing only 6.7g detects your machine's tail sliding and the optimized automatic counter-steering prevents your car from spinning. The D-BOX allows even drift-beginners to enjoy dynamic drift driving, so it is a perfect item for those who want to try drift driving or think drift driving is too difficult. The D-BOX comes with a gain control function to adjust counter-steering amount according to track surface condition and your drift driving skills. Compatible with most servos available on the market.

Most drifters are sceptical even scornful, but I reckon it could help the newcomer, or as in this case, the 2WD fan.

That's a gyro for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

This looks like the system in action on the HPI site
    http://www.hpieurope.com/show_video.php?lang=en&videoID=84

That's the one I'd say, I wonder if we'll be seeing them in Halfords any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

2 Espressi wrote:
    That's the one I'd say, I wonder if we'll be seeing them in Halfords any time soon?
    thats not availible as rtr you have to buy the HPI RS4 then you need to buy the STAGE D conversion for it (also by HPI) you get achassis with the conversion and the engine is mounted in the centre I think if you want a good rc drifter the engine should be in the centre something to do with balance or some crack like that!

yeah stabilty cause you really are sliding on 4 wheels not just the back to thats why 4wd is good you can keeps spinning the weels to elongate the drift i think ;-/

Yeah, looks like the only out of the box drifter they supply is the Sprint 2 Stage D Kits. Moving the engine forwards lowers the rotational momentum, moves the center of gravity to the mddle of the car, and takes some of the weight off the rear wheels, so they break loose more easily.

Spotted a video for the dbox on the HPI japan site...

Clicky(ASX) (WMV)

dsc008117rk.th.jpg dsc008120ds.th.jpg dsc008133rc.th.jpg dsc008145wn.th.jpg dsc008150mn.th.jpg

• Advertisement

2 Espressi:
    I found a litle tutorial for the flashing lights, very good idea have to say i will be doing this when i get my car :)
    http://s3.invisionfree.com/rcdrift/index.php?showtopic=10809

Advertisement