Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove that IHS

Options
  • 21-01-2006 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Today i finally got the nerve to remove the IHS from my opteron 144.

wow is all i can say. I'm currently 50mhz above my previous max oc with .025 less vcore. Load temps are down 8c and idle have dropped 3-4.

20 mins, a steady hand and a razor blade is all you need :D

img02142eo.jpg
    img02155du.jpg

(The scratching in the first pic was me trying to see what its made from)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Wow, nice results, but how do you clamp down the hsf without crushing the core??

do you have to modify the bracket seen as you just removed 3 or 4 mm off the height of the CPU?

Are you using AS5??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I did that with a 3800+ venice. When mounting my storm cpu block, the backplate moved and the block crushed a corner of the core. Havnt bothered since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

conzymaher wrote:
    Wow, nice results, but how do you clamp down the hsf without crushing the core??

do you have to modify the bracket seen as you just removed 3 or 4 mm off the height of the CPU?

Are you using AS5??

Lol, thought you said "are you using ASS". Anyway, excuse my ignorance here, whats the IHS?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

conzymaher wrote:

Are you using AS5??

Using a TDX so you adjust the pressure using thumb screws. I'd imagine an ordinary heatsink would need modified. I put 4 small sticky neoprene pads like on the cpu the old athlon xp's

And yes i'm using AS5

The ihs is that bit in the pictures, integrated heat sink.

Krazy: I take it the venice didnt survive? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yep, got me a opty 144 though so it all worked out in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement