Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster - Thomond Park

Options
  • 21-01-2006 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hey, great result for both the city and our rugby team! At the end, when he said it was the last time they'd be reporting from thomond park, he meant this season right!?!?!
    I know they are talking about closing it, but...
    Munster wont be playing in Croker either will they?!?! Hook screamed it out, but if they get a home game... it'll be at the burnt out Lansedown Road, right!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Hey, great result for both the city and our rugby team! At the end, when he said it was the last time they'd be reporting from thomond park, he meant this season right!?!?!
    I know they are talking about closing it, but...
    Munster wont be playing in Croker either will they?!?! Hook screamed it out, but if they get a home game... it'll be at the burnt out Lansedown Road, right!?!

Well, I heard the end of the match on Live95FM and Len Dineen said a home game would be in Lansdowne in the Spring.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Why was George wearing a black arm band? ..... :confused:
    (I missed any news prog's today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

At the end, when he said it was the last time they'd be reporting from thomond park, he meant this season right!?!?!

RTE no longer have tv rights for any more games, it'll be on Sky. That's what he meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Oh yeah...
    Hmmm... lets contact the department that decides what RTE have to broadcast, this is of national interest!!!

RTE no longer have tv rights for any more games, it'll be on Sky. That's what he meant.

That's a $$$$$$ shame :( ...

RTE have always done a great job on Rugby and in particular for the matches in Limerick ....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

They mite get one more crack at it if Munster get a home draw in Thomond foir the next round. Its crap that sky can get the exclusive rites to a game played here I mean consider if Leinster and Munster got drawn in the same group we have to watch an english channel to see a game on Irish soil thats just wrong. I mean they (rte & Government) are fighting to get the Ryder cup for free I dont mean to diss golf but surely at this stage Rugby is a much more important game and deserves to be shown for free.

I wonder if there is any chance of Sky using George for the home games as their commentating crew are useless when it comes to non english teams.

And to Jason Robinson welcome to Thomond park you limping lion :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sioda wrote:
    They mite get one more crack at it if Munster get a home draw in Thomond foir the next round. Its crap that sky can get the exclusive rites to a game played here I mean consider if Leinster and Munster got drawn in the same group we have to watch an english channel to see a game on Irish soil thats just wrong. I mean they (rte & Government) are fighting to get the Ryder cup for free I dont mean to diss golf but surely at this stage Rugby is a much more important game and deserves to be shown for free.

I wonder if there is any chance of Sky using George for the home games as their commentating crew are useless when it comes to non english teams.

And to Jason Robinson welcome to Thomond park you limping lion :-)

So don't diss golf....considering at least 10 times more people play golf in Ireland than rugby. Rugby is my number one sport and i love playing it and watching it but it is still a relatively small sport in Ireland.

Sky pay alot of money to the ERC to make sure they can capture the audience that teams like munster attract in Ireland and Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Even as a golfer myself you gotta admit its mainly an older adults sport. Don't want to imagine the Shannon OAP's Vs Garryowen OAP's although could be fun

As a sport rugby is in and around as popular as soccer especially in Munster. Virtually all secondary schools play it and some as the main school sport.

The main thing about Golf and Rugby is that they are class based games except here in Munster I mean look at the rubgy schools in Leinster you have got the Rock one of the most expensive and snobbish schools in ireland and Clongowes again a very upper class school.

Golfing I find much the same I mean dress codes to enjoy a sport uniforms for teams or matches I get but slacks and a shirt to hit the small white ball its not on. I prefer to golf in jeans and a rugby shirt or heaven forbid in a pair of shorts.

As with any statement as wide ranging as what I just said I apologise to any exceptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shane2005

Hook was wearing the armband over the loss of terrestrial rights. He criticised the gov. for attempting to ring fence the 'Bastion of privilege'- KCLUB ryder cup while ignoring the 'cathedral of equality' which was thomand park. It was his finest moment I think.

According to RTE website the quarter final will be in thomand park

Did anyone notice the Munster strip across the road from Jurys ? ....it's hanging just behind the new Tower .... it must be all of twenty feet high .... :eek:

I took a photo but the light was desperate (and a phone cam to boot) so get you mag glass out :(

mcrrc9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

RTE's website is wrong, the 1/4 will be played in Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I just think the whole concept of television stations buying exclusive rights to broadcast sports events is a load of bollocks, it's anti-competitive. If the stations were to really operate in fair competition with each other, any station that wanted to could broadcast a match, and then the customers could choose to watch whichever one they thought would offer the best service - if the customers preferred Sky to RTE they'd get the Sky package. Give me Hook & Co any day over Dewi Morris though. Judging from the viewer figures the advertising companies would realise which station gets more viewers than others and so would be more likely to pay that station to screen their ads. This would lead to the different stations competing with each other to show a better overall package and would probably improve the match coverage.

Great win on Saturday. Agree with Hobie, the massive jerseys around town were class, there was another one on Brown Thomas. Big thanks to Leinster for getting us the home draw.

David Wallace for Freedom of the City

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

gaf1983 wrote:
    I just think the whole concept of television stations buying exclusive rights to broadcast sports events is a load of bollocks, it's anti-competitive.

It's been anti-competitive for years and years with RTE having a monopoly on broadcasting rights. They've been under paying for years....

it would be grossly anti-competitive if the various rugby authorities were unable to sell their product to whomever they wanted at a price that they felt benefited their sport the most. (Not that i think it's a huge benefit to the sport to have it only exposed to a small audience)

Here's a good argument...much more elequently put than myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

anybody know when they will make the decision on if thomond park will be re developed or not? or if a new stadium will be built and where it will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Apparently the consultants report was handed in a week or so ago though its not supposed to be made public for a fews weeks yet. Theres supposedly 3 options,1. is a site near the university,2. old greenpark racecourse or 3. a redevelopment on the existing site. I'd say the university site is definately a non runner and the word is that the old greenpark racecourse is the preferred option, theres big plans for that site as it is with a shopping complex and offices, apartments etc. Its also to be partly developed as an amenity area with public walkways etc also a mini sports campus with a couple of full sized soccer,gaa fields and tennis courts along with an all weather facility.The new greyhound stadium was supposed to have been built here aswell but there was some problem with the ground conditions, pity really as this would have been a much more central location than way out on the ennis road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

yeah hopefully thomond will get redeveloped and if it doesnt then the site on the old rachecoure would be good as its a great location,

Advertisement