Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Coverage Problem

• 21-01-2006 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I installed a wireless router yesterday. It says on the box that the range on it is 400 feet indoors. I have it installed at the side of my house, when I go to the other side of my house (approx 220 feet away) I have no coverage at all, sometimes I get a very small bit. Is there anyway of increasing the coverage? If I have to move the router there's a whole lot of work and cat5 cable needed!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Check you have your latest firmware version. Can help boost signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

400ft in theory...never in practice.

The wireless computer, is it laptop ot tower? If it has an ext antenna connector, RP SMA, maplin in Dublin have a magnetic whip for €16.

Other than that, try moving the router around to a more central point. Maybe an external antenna for the router. Post the make/model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

I was going to do a firmware update but on the site it said for US products only. If I did a firmware update my routers warranty would be void!

I'm using a desktop pc thats wired to the router and a HP laptop wirelessly.

The router I'm using is a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G.

Cheers,

Jamie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Contact the manufacturer re: suitable firmware upgrade (If one exists).
    It's 400ft ideal,in an unobstructed environment. walls and other devices @2.4GHz frequency will reduce this significantly (+ that's an IDEAL..it's never going to observed in practice)

Move the router to a better location!
    Add more powerful antennae / reposition existing antennae...
    [Use NetStumbler or similar for testing the signal strength]

Turn off power saving options on the router and clients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

Thanks for the help! Do you know where I can get an external antenna for the router to boost the signal?

Also, I'm using a laptop with inbuilt wi-fi. I have another laptop which I installed a pcmcia wireless adapter. I can't get much coverage with that laptop. Even when I put it beside the router I still only get around 26% coverage....any ideas??

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement