Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to take visitors in Co Dublin

• 21-01-2006 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey,

Been living in Dublin for a few months, relocated from North East England with BF. I have friends visiting me in a few weeks and I'm ashamed to say, I don't really know the good places to take them on a night out in town. Yeah i know I need to get out more!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Hey,

Been living in Dublin for a few months, relocated from North East England with BF. I have friends visiting me in a few weeks and I'm ashamed to say, I don't really know the good places to take them on a night out in town. Yeah i know I need to get out more!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Firstly, how old are you all ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

Im 23..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Take them to a stereotypically, Irish trad pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

To Wicklow.....the garden of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Anywhere outside Dublin

• Advertisement

Take them on one of those city tour buses.

They make good dates too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Guinness Storehouse

Well that's on the route of the tour buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Johnny Fox's pub. Best seafood around and your visitors will love the traditional diddley-eye craic.
    Trust me,all my visitors love it there.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

skye wrote:
    To Wicklow.....the garden of Ireland

OP said 'night out in town'.

What night(s) are you talking about?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Head down to temple bar and do a mini pub crawl, there s a good few nice places around there. Most are always packed, but its got a good laugh to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Heyes wrote:
    Head down to temple bar and do a mini pub crawl, there s a good few nice places around there. Most are always packed, but its got a good laugh to it.

Exactly what I was gonna say...

Maybe go for a meal in elephant & castle (nice resteraunt in temple bar ;) there are several others also, maybe take a stroll around before they arrive to decide your favourite)...cross the road to the temple bar pub, maybe make a move to the dubliner or gaogertys...then wrap up the night with pubbing/clubbing in fitzsimons...

If you're looking for things to do during the day, go to guinness store house as said, then maybe some shopping and coffee in stephens green shopping centre followed by a stroll around stephens green park, with a roll from O'Briens :D

Also lunch in Johnny foxes would be a good day trip also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If you can before the weekend, do one of those bus tours yourself to familiarise yourself with some things. Do a bit of research in some of the bookshops and tourist centres. You'll learn a lot too of course. Take a walk around if you have time.

I could give a long list of places to bring them. The weather looks like being cold but dry so you should be able to get out and about. Bring them into St. Stephen's Green and walk down by its lake. Trinity College of course, and Dublin Castle.

I have a site of Dublin photos that I have taken. Have a look at it:

As for pubs, well leave them until evening when it is more lively. If they want to hear and see some Irish traditional music, try O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row, just off St. Stephen's Green. The Arlington Hotel is good for that too, as are a number of others.

Outside of the city: A walk on Dún Laoghaire pier is a must. Take the DART out.

I could go on. Suffice to say there is plenty to see and do in Dublin.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/DublinCity.htm

As to being ashamed to say that you don't know much of Dublin: there are plenty of Dubliners that don't either, so I would not worry about it. Your weekend will teach you a lot too, so enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

Hey thanks everyone soo much for all the tips!

Plenty great suggestions there. They are here Tues and Wed night so I guess Temple Bar at night and a tour bus trip through the day will definitely happen.
    :)

Advertisement