Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bath seal

Options
  • 21-01-2006 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

hi, i'm fitting a new bath and am looking for ideas foer sealing the bath. I will be tiling on to the bath and i don't like those plastic seals that stick out from the tiles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

You could use a ceramic beading to match your tiles?
    or a good dollop of mastic?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

when I put in a new bath _I did the following.

Remember that the bath will move with the weight of water plus one (or two :rolleyes: ) people in it !!!

I secured the bath to the walls - as normal.
    I emptied 2 tubes of bath silicon between the bath and the walls to form a nice seal.
    I then screwed on the plastic trim -that you don't like.
    And then tiled over this trim etc.

the trim has moved slightly but I know that because of the silicone behind it -I have no worries about water going underneath. next time I have some spare grout I might fill under the trim --maybe

But I will NEVER use silicon on the bath/beside the trim/ or anywhere visible in
    a bathroom - it will go mouldy and look crap.

using grout as your only stop fro water against something that will move is not a good idea. Grout will crack in places and then theres no stopping the water

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have heard it suggested that it is a good idea to fill the bath with water before you put in the seal. Sounds like a good idea but I am no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Have you already got the bath? If not you can get baths that have a slight lip around the edge which you tile over, saves the need for a seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

thanks for the help lads I am going for a relatively new product called classic seal which sticks to the bath and allows for up to 15mm movement. No trims!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement