Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom distance From Exchange Increase?

• 21-01-2006 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I am living in an area with a broadband enabled exchange but im too far from the exchange to get it. Im just wondering will the speed upgrade increase my chances of getting broadband. About 2 months ago I heard from someone in eircom that they are bringing out a new broadband modem which will "pull" the broadband from the line allowing me get it. Is this possible and if so does anyone know when it is happening? Also does "pull" sound healthy? (ie) will it be pulling the bare minimujm of speeds? Thanks for any Help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

remember that broadband will travel on a line no matter how frayed
    or tenuous. Totally opposite to dial-up internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

jetsonx wrote:
    remember that broadband will travel on a line no matter how frayed
    or tenuous. Totally opposite to dial-up internet.

Dude, sorry but that avatar is registered to me, please change it to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Yeah! Go team Gort-ID Card!!

Oh and OP - no this upgrade has nothing to do with extending reach unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Snaga wrote:
    Oh and OP - no this upgrade has nothing to do with extending reach unfortunately.
    However, Sponge Bob (who is in the know about these things) posted this the other day:
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    This 1mbit product could work at a greater distance than the 'old' 1Mbit which is becoming a 2Mbit now .......therefore certain persons who failed until now could start to pass once its loaded in their line checker database from the 1st of feb onwards.
    This increased range for the new entry level 1Mbit product will be possible due to a firmware upgrade in the exchange. This is due to be done next week.
    So there may be hope for you yet.
    BTW, how far are you from the exchange?

Snaga wrote:
    Yeah! Go team Gort-ID Card!!

Please change your avatar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this is why i subscribed too many people using the fry avatar so to be unique i have "that 80's guy" now.

doubt the upgrade has lengthened the distance from the exchange though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Abc1

CyberGhost wrote:
    Please change your avatar.

Are you serious?

As someone said above. I believe that the 1meg product line test might be a little more forgiving than the current tests..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

kaizersoze wrote:
    However, Sponge Bob (who is in the know about these things) posted this the other day:

This increased range for the new entry level 1Mbit product will be possible due to a firmware upgrade in the exchange. This is due to be done next week.
    So there may be hope for you yet.
    BTW, how far are you from the exchange?

Im about 4miles from the exchange but i think that the line comes up a steep hill underground which apparently reduces the chance of getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ab_cork wrote:
    Im about 4miles from the exchange but i think that the line comes up a steep hill underground which apparently reduces the chance of getting it.
    LOL. The line travelling up a steep hill or being underground has nothing to do with it. The 4 miles (6.4km) is your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ab_cork wrote:
    Lol, I feel your pain man. I live up a hill and am 4 miles from the exchange. I'd say eircom might finally increase the range but 4 miles is unfortunately pushing it:(

Btw, the line going up a steep hill would have no effect on the line itself.

• Advertisement

Abc1 wrote:
    Are you serious?

Absolutely,

Welcome to boards.ie :) ... the avatar WAAAR!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

There will defintely be increase in the distance offered by €ircon since the cabling has been ignored and rotting away for decades which we paid through the nose for inferior services.

Should the €ircon fix anything it wouldnt be hard to boost the range out. But it will only be a couple of hundred meters probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

metres!!!

I think its currently at 4KM? y/n??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

he means the boost

Hopefully Ill get lucky and by some miracle be able to get it.
    I was going to order ibb last november but decided against it after seeing many, many complaints. I can also get nova broadband but they have a pretty pricey install fee and I cant find any reviews of their service, positive or negative. Ive been lookin into gettin it for a long time and Im getting anxious to order something. Im on dial up and downloading a file I get around
    4kb/sec Ah well. Ill just hope for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

CyberGhost wrote:
    Absolutely,

Welcome to boards.ie :) ... the avatar WAAAR!!! :mad:

I like my new avatar - I think Ill keep it :)

Snaga wrote:
    I like my new avatar - I think Ill keep it :)

:*(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I live four miles from my exchange too and the long and short answer if €ircon will increase the distance DSL can travel from the exchange is NO. I've exhausted myself talking to various ****s in eircom for the best part of three years now and in my most recent dealing with them (because my local exchange has finally been upgraded), they told me that they won't be increasing the reach beyond the 4.5km limit their 'flavour' of DSL can achieve, as four miles is 6km, I wouldn't hold your breath tbh, guess you'll be waiting until WiMax takes its bow in this country, like the rest of us, the ones who Eircom couldn't give two ****s about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Laguna wrote:
    I live four miles from my exchange too and the long and short answer if €ircon will increase the distance DSL can travel from the exchange is NO. I've exhausted myself talking to various ****s in eircom for the best part of three years now and in my most recent dealing with them (because my local exchange has finally been upgraded), they told me that they won't be increasing the reach beyond the 4.5km limit their 'flavour' of DSL can achieve, as four miles is 6km, I wouldn't hold your breath tbh, guess you'll be waiting until WiMax takes its bow in this country, like the rest of us, the ones who Eircom couldn't give two ****s about..
    I have about as much love for €ircon as you do. In about three weeks I should be connected to a wireless broadband provider and I can't wait to tell €ircon to stick their ISDN. I might even have a party to celebrate.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It may very well be that the majority of lines out at 6km will operate at or around the minimum guaranteed speeds (256k is the minimum guaranteed speed) and that eircom will not want the hassle of explaining this to non technical customers.

Having said that, at 6km, their existing modems would hardly operate at 48k either so an upgrade from slowish analogue to slowish dsl would make a great relative difference to them .

we will see once the new 1mbit package is launched but the biggest single problem is managing expectations between 5 and 6 km not delivering 'a' service .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It may very well be that the majority of lines out at 6km will operate at or around the minimum guaranteed speeds (256k is the minimum guaranteed speed) and that eircom will not want the hassle of explaining this to non technical customers.

Having said that, at 6km, their existing modems would hardly operate at 48k either so an upgrade from slowish analogue to slowish dsl would make a great relative difference to them .

we will see once the new 1mbit package is launched but the biggest single problem is managing expectations between 5 and 6 km not delivering 'a' service .

Hopefully I can get something. Any broadband speeds at all will be better than my current dial up. On dial up I get around 2-4kb/s download. If it turns out that I cant get eircom ill probably go for nova networks broadband. Does anyone know anything about them? The only information I can find about them on the web is on their own website www.novanetworks.ie. I cant find any reviews or anything. Anyone got any experience?

Advertisement