Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English league: Pld 20 - Review

• 22-01-2006 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

The league standings at the 20-games played point, in both last season and this season, are as follows:
    2004/2005          2005/2006
    Chelsea     49     Chelsea     55	
    Arsenal     44     Man U       44	
    Everton     40     Liverpool   44	
    Man U       40     Tottenham   37	
    Middlesboro 35     Arsenal     34	
    Liverpool   34     Wigan       34	
    Charlton    31     Bolton      33	
    Tottenham   29     Blackburn   30	
    Birmingham  26     Man C       28	
    Portsmouth  26     Charlton    28	
    Aston Villa 25     West Ham    26	
    Man C       24     Newcastle   26	
    Bolton      23     Middlesboro 22	
    Newcastle   22     Aston Villa 22	
    Blackburn   19     Fulham      20	
    Fulham      18     Everton     20	
    C Palace    15     West Brom   19	
    Norwich     15     Portsmouth  17	
    Southampton 14     Birmingham  16	
    West Brom   11     Sunderland   6 

Whats of note is that Chelsea have stepped up the pace, and even though Man U have as well and are on a par with what Arsenal did last season, its not enough. Arsenal and Liverpool have essentialy swapped places in terms of points.

The change in form between this season and last is as follows:
    Blackburn   11	
    Bolton      10	
    Liverpool   10	
    Tottenham    8	
    West Brom    8	
    Chelsea      6	
    Man C        4	
    Man U        4	
    Newcastle    4	
    Fulham       2	
    Aston Villa -3	
    Charlton    -3	
    Portsmouth  -9	
    Arsenal     -10	
    Birmingham  -10	
    Middlesboro -13	
    Everton     -20	

The fans of the clubs at the top will feel that there has been a step change improvement, while those at the lower end will feel a step change dis-improvement. For the likes of Chelsea its hard to improve on near-invincibility. But Man U are ahead of last season so whilst many things may seem to be going wrong, the league points tally and indeed table position are better.

Everton fans will be comforted as they have won all 3 games since their 20th and have as a result climbed up the table quite well.

Spurs are doing like Everton did last season and are really challenging for that 4th spot. But it remains to be seen if their results will be good enough to keep off a patchy Arsenal.

Of course Wigan are the surprises and may give the Uefa places a good run. Sunderland look down (even with their win today).

Attached is the ladder version which shows the teams points positions more clearly.

redspider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

dude, you have liverpool and man u on equal points.

real table -

1 Chelsea 22 37 61
    2 Man Utd 22 21 45
    3 Liverpool 20 18 44
    4 Tottenham 23 12 41

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

el rabitos wrote:
    dude, you have liverpool and man u on equal points.

real table -

1 Chelsea 22 37 61
    2 Man Utd 22 21 45
    3 Liverpool 20 18 44
    4 Tottenham 23 12 41

man united have played 2 games extra though. So i presume redspiders table is from when united had played 20 games.

seems a little insane to look at the table in that way, but whatever.

my elaborate copy and paste table makes perfect sence to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

el rabitos wrote:
    seems a little insane to look at the table in that way, but whatever.

my elaborate copy and paste table makes perfect sence to me :)

why ? its not insane at all. It shows how teams have improved or ...eh..unproved from last season.

i suppose, if ur interested in looking at the difference from last season. i'm more interested in the current table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:
    i suppose, if ur interested in looking at the difference from last season. i'm more interested in the current table

Not everyone has played the same amount of games. The only accurate way to show it is to start from the team with the lowest games played (liverpool) and peg everyone back to there. What happens if Liverpool beat UTd tomorow and then win their 2 games in hand? they will be 8 points ahead of UTd with 23 games played each as opposed to a VERY different 1 point behind Utd with 20/22 played , thats a much different prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, it makes sense to look at it this way, infact if anything it favours United so like, whats the problem?

This is the real problem for United, they have stepped up a gear, albeit a small one, and seem to be improving, but just can't do anythign to get near chelsea.
    I'm trying to remmeber the last time we gained points on them without playing them personally, was it last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Great improvement by Blackburn. I can honestly see United coming knocking for Hughes if he keeps going like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, it makes sense to look at it this way, infact if anything it favours United so like, whats the problem?

This is the real problem for United, they have stepped up a gear, albeit a small one, and seem to be improving, but just can't do anythign to get near chelsea.
    I'm trying to remmeber the last time we gained points on them without playing them personally, was it last season?
    What about when Chelsea were held 1-1 with Everton during the season? I can't remember who United were playing that weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I forgot to add the table that shows the form of each club in the 11-20 games quarter of the season. This is below along with the 1st 10-games:
    Club      1st ten          2nd ten	
    Chelsea     28    Liverpool   28	
    Wigan       22    Chelsea     27	
    Charlton    19    Man U       26	
    Tottenham   19    Tottenham   18	
    Man U       18    Arsenal     17	
    Arsenal     17    Blackburn   16	
    Bolton      17    Bolton      16	
    Man C       17    Newcastle   14	
    Liverpool   16    Aston Villa 13	
    West Ham    15    Everton     13	
    Blackburn   14    Wigan       12	
    Middlesboro 12    Fulham      11	
    Newcastle   12    Man C       11	
    Aston Villa  9    West Brom   11	
    Fulham       9    West Ham    11	
    West Brom    8    Birmingham  10	
    Everton      7    Middlesboro 10	
    Portsmouth   7    Portsmouth  10	
    Birmingham   6    Charlton     9	
    Sunderland   5    Sunderland   1

Liverpool's good run is clear to see and its hard to believe that they pipped Chelsea. Their poor start is costing them a chance of a run at the title but they are in a solid position for a top-4 finish and are challenging for 2nd.

There is a large gulf between the top-3 and Spurs and Arsenal.

Notable changes in performance include that of Wigan, who were affected by their very challenging fixtures, Charlton who have gone into a slide, Man U and Liverpool who are now running at a similar pace to Chelsea, Man C who have slowed, Everton who have sped up, and of course Sunderland who have imploded with a mere single point.

The 20-game stage is near the half-way point and is a good indicator of where teams will end up. Apart from Chelsea being near-certain winners and Sunderland being near-certainly relegated, all the other slots have yet to be firmly decided, although both Man U and Liverpool are near certs for CL berths.

Btw, I forgot to post earlier in the season a graph showing the fortunes of the top clubs over the last few seasons. It puts the changes in fortunes of the clubs into perspective and how important CL qualification (and its money) can be (Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool). Arsenal/Henry FC, take note.

redspider

• Advertisement
Advertisement