Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who/where hasnt been upgraded yet?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Plasmoid

exchange: Dennehy's Cross
    package/provider: Esat was there basic 1mb... 2mb now i dont know, they dont know.

I got upgraded smoothly sometime saturday... its definitly 2mb down 256 k up so i guess its not the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

thanks for the confirmation plasmoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mtyrrell

Has anybody any idea if the Dun Laoghaire exchange is supposed to have been upgraded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

From the BT website:
    New speeds will become effective for exisiting and new Residential Broadband customers from Monday 23rd January 2006

will check mine this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

Okay,

Not sure if this will help anyone who is having the same prob I described above, but I rang BT's tech support and to cut a long story short the tech suggested I disconnect anything connected into our telephone line, including my broadband router, telephone's, Sky digiboxes etc and leave it for 15 mins.

So..did that ..then re-connected my telephone extension lead that my router is plugged into back into the eircom socket. I didn't plug any of the other stuff in at this stage. and low and behold I am getting the correct download and upload speeds. great.

But, when I plugged all the other leads and adaptors (is like spaghetti junction...not ideal I know) I am back down to 400k.

So, I fiddled around with the connectors, and unplugged one of the phone line double adaptors. We actually had one double adaptor plugged into another one..I know...sounds messy..but it had never caused a prob before.....so I disconnected this one extra adaptor and everything is now fine.

I know this might not be related to any of the other issues, but strangely enough my neighbour is having exactly the same problem as I was but he isn't using any double adaptors. So he's gonna try disconnecting everything from the eircom socket and see if it works for him.

Can't make any sense of thew whole thing myself, and sorry if it sounds garbled, but it's now working at least.

So I'm not really sure now if disconnecting everything from the phone line did anything or if it was just that extra double phone socket adaptor all along. As long as it keeps working...don't care :-)

• Advertisement

Update:

It now appears that if I plug anything else into the main eircom socket apart from the ext. lead that my router is connected to my speed drops back down to 512k again. When I posted earlier hadn't realised that the sky digibox was disconnected in the sitting room. As soon as we re-connected it the speed drops from 1.7Mb/sec to 430k or so.

Also I think Eircom are doing work on the exchange up here in Blanch cos a couple of times the DSL signal just disappeared. Just to add to the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I had previously had problems with digi box so plugged it out. Just after plugging out a dual adapter and voila - shot up to 1.2 megs. Still a bit off 2megs but....better :)

Thanks for the advice plastic, didn't even cross my mind as a cause of possible interference.

No probs. Glad to help. I don't actually think it's the digibox in particular, cos the same happened when the digital hands free phone was plugged in. Right now have both plugged out until Esat or Eircom sort the problem out. Just have to remember to plug the digibox in when I go to bed..otherwise be getting snotty letter from Sky.

Cheers

My problem still hasn't been solved.

When i disconnect everything else, I get great pings and faster downloads - but can't play online without getting disconnected after 5 minutes! Tried 5 times on different servers on BF2 - lost connection to each one after in and around 5 minutes.

Went back to the old way of slow speeds, played online in two of the same servers for 15 minutes each and no problems whatsoever.

Christ, really getting on my nerves now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

MobileInfantry, FakePlasticMan your lines (like mine) seem to be incapable of handling high speed BB. When you unplug everything but the router from your phone system you reduce the load on your line so that the SnR on your line is good enough to support the new speeds. Of course as soon as you plug them back in the load is increased and your SnR drops like a stone - your router is then incapable of syncing at those new higher speeds so it syncs at a lower speed. Or if your router is like mine and mentally retarded it keeps trying to sync at the high speed meaning you keep losing your connection and suffer constant disconnects. This makes games and streaming impossible. I know, I'm living with it :( €ircon will never bother upgrading the physical network therefore you will never get better speeds until ADSL2+ is rolled out. Even then your speeds will be limited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Just called bt' technical support, they said my exchange has not been upgraded yet, eircom suspects all exchanges to be upgraded by 6 feb... if i'm still not upgraded by then, i should call tech support and they will try to "troubleshout it".

Seems kinda fishy, since there is nothing on eircom announcement page... gonna try to call eircom.

MobileInfantry, FakePlasticMan your lines (like mine) seem to be incapable of handling high speed BB. When you unplug everything but the router from your phone system you reduce the load on your line so that the SnR on your line is good enough to support the new speeds. Of course as soon as you plug them back in the load is increased and your SnR drops like a stone - your router is then incapable of syncing at those new higher speeds so it syncs at a lower speed. Or if your router is like mine and mentally retarded it keeps trying to sync at the high speed meaning you keep losing your connection and suffer constant disconnects. This makes games and streaming impossible. I know, I'm living with it :( €ircon will never bother upgrading the physical network therefore you will never get better speeds until ADSL2+ is rolled out. Even then your speeds will be limited.

That would be the answer.....if it weren't for the fact people living a few meters away from me get the full 2048/256 no problems! :(

Thanks for the explanation though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

tried it last night and im still on 1meg down / 128 up

im on bt normal - cant see why thay can advertise it will be done on the 24th yet not be done ?

comreg anyone ? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

upgraded to 3072\364.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

In Dungarvan, on BT BB.

Still on 1024 down, 128 up....

I'm not holding my breath..

Fedfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

That would be the answer.....if it weren't for the fact people living a few meters away from me get the full 2048/256 no problems! :(

Thanks for the explanation though. :)
    Sorry it's not a certainty; but based on the information provided that appears to be the case. If your close neighbor can get the full speed then maybe they have less load on their line, better interior wiring or a more capable router (mine is brain damaged and wont sync at a lower speed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

DaDumTish wrote:
    tried it last night and im still on 1meg down / 128 up

im on bt normal - cant see why thay can advertise it will be done on the 24th yet not be done ?

comreg anyone ? lol

Dolphins Barn exchange is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

really ? cant understand why my speeds havent changed then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

BT - Leixlip, Still on 1024/128. :(

Neighbours in the same estate on Eircom are on 2048. Any ideas/suggestions?

I don't use the original BT router (using a Linsys Wireless device).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

jdempsey,
    you got any products listed in your 'my orders' -> 'my products' in your BT online account...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

jdempsey,
    you got any products listed in your 'my orders' -> 'my products' in your BT online account...?

Come to think of it.. I noticed a while back that I dont! Does that matter in the case of the upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

BT - Grange , Waterford Still on 1024/128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not upgraded. Ballinalee Co. Longford exchange. BT BB

Was 1Mbit/128 (more like 800 kpbs/dial-up speed) still is that way.

Sorry it's not a certainty; but based on the information provided that appears to be the case. If your close neighbor can get the full speed then maybe they have less load on their line, better interior wiring or a more capable router (mine is brain damaged and wont sync at a lower speed)

You were right OCG ...got a mate in who has experience with this kinda stuff and we looked at the ( rather messy) set up I had. Stripped out any adaptors that I didn't need, replaced a double phone adaptor and two single filters with one double DSL filter and now I have a working system WITH my digibox's and phones plugged in. So it looks like the system was just about managing on the old 1Mb/sec but was tipped over when the upgrade happened. So guess the moral is look at your internal cabling and simplify as much as possible take out ANYTHING that isn't absolutely neccessary.

I've had download speeds of 1.75Mb/sec for the last two days now, so looks like it has finally solved the problem. Much better than 512k that's for sure. Now I can start to enjoy the new speeds.

Maybe you could try something similar Mobile Infantry and it just might work.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

jdempsey,

I've got nothing listed in there. Should that be a concern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

No!!!

You were right OCG ...got a mate in who has experience with this kinda stuff and we looked at the ( rather messy) set up I had. Stripped out any adaptors that I didn't need, replaced a double phone adaptor and two single filters with one double DSL filter and now I have a working system WITH my digibox's and phones plugged in. So it looks like the system was just about managing on the old 1Mb/sec but was tipped over when the upgrade happened. So guess the moral is look at your internal cabling and simplify as much as possible take out ANYTHING that isn't absolutely neccessary.

I've had download speeds of 1.75Mb/sec for the last two days now, so looks like it has finally solved the problem. Much better than 512k that's for sure. Now I can start to enjoy the new speeds.

Maybe you could try something similar Mobile Infantry and it just might work.

Cheers

I'm moving house in less then a month, so it's not worth the bother at this stage, everything should be grand in the new place as it's a newly built house....hopefully. :)

Advertisement