Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gonna join any clubs or socs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did anyone join anything today? I had a look around but nothing caught my eye.

It seemed small and uninteresting this time around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

PatSoc all the way baby!!

Wasn't in today so I couldn't join anything but no point really since I'm hardly a student this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I didn't join anything... yay! Were the clubs recruiting again, or just the socs?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

i went, had to do my stint at the Belfield FM stand, joined LGBT (not im not gay but i hear they have classes if you wanna learn), Rifle Club, Dutch Soc. and signed up to work for the Observer. I hear they've got serious staffing problems.

Has rifle started back yet? I joined in Freshers' week, went once, and haven't been since! I shall give it a shot again soon... Although I've started working on tuesdays and thursdays! so it'll have to be wednesday...

Ignore me :)

The main reason for going is the delicious sweets they have on offer! All the old-school munch you can eat! Polo chocolate biscuits = top notch! And those cola sweet things...

yum :)

Any word about them organising paintballing again? They tried earlier in the year, and I rang yer man up and he said that only 3 people had paid him, so it was cancelled :( I'm dyin to give paintballin a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'm tempted to say boards paintballing, but I won't, because even suggesting it might mean I'd have to organise it which is a nightmare for a group of internet randomers (well, to me anyway :))!

If the rifle club try to organise another one, then I'll post a thread here and get some people to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Would you have to be a member to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

As far as I know, the last one was for members.

As for going down to the range, myself and rasher have gone twice since we got back after the christmas holidays. I must say that it's a great laugh and the guys down there are very friendly. I'm quite terrible at the moment, but after a bit of practise I'll (hopefully) get better!
    You should definitely head down again some evening, Dave. We could organise a boards rifle night :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Was looking for the scuba crowd as their stand was empty during freshers week but didnt see them. Must contact them really.
    Whats this riflesoc? It any good? Whats involved?

• Advertisement

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Was looking for the scuba crowd as their stand was empty during freshers week but didnt see them. Must contact them really.
    Whats this riflesoc? It any good? Whats involved?
    Well it's on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I think, from 6-9pm. When I say it's "on", I just mean that the range is open. You can just mosey along whenever you like, put your name down, wait for a gun to be free (eat biscuits and sweets, and drink tea or coffee, while you're waiting ;)), then shoot I think it's about 30 shots at your target, take the target, and wait for your next turn!

The guns are pretty nice, fairly new and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I bet you can get hurt with those guns. Every time I used those ones they have at amusement parks, the bloody thing would always recoil and hurt me.

Jayzus, you'd have to make quite the effort to hurt yourself with one of these! I was a bit nervous that the pellet would hit the wall and bounce back, destroying my eyeball, but I was assured that it would never do that... :o

But no, no recoil on these... They're heavy though, which sucks.

One of the lads mentioned that it can backfire on you if you put the pellet in incorrectly, but as long as you're careful I doubt you'd have any trouble.
    Either of the times I've been down there have been only a few other people which meant no waiting and no pressure to finish up quickly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

cost anything or is it just the membersip fee?

Waltons wrote:
    One of the lads mentioned that it can backfire on you if you put the pellet in incorrectly, but as long as you're careful I doubt you'd have any trouble.
    Either of the times I've been down there have been only a few other people which meant no waiting and no pressure to finish up quickly :D

Feckin hell, if I hada known that I wouldn't have done it! :D

I think it's like €7 to join, is it? If you just go down to the range one night, they'll probably let you take a few shots to try it out, anyways

They have a price notice there (50c for 20 pellets) but I haven't been charged at all down there. In fact, I even got my EXTRA pellets for free.
    One of my friends came down and joined the other evening and it was only a fiver to join down there. You'd be mad not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

i went, had to do my stint at the Belfield FM stand, joined LGBT (not im not gay but i hear they have classes if you wanna learn), Rifle Club, Dutch Soc. and signed up to work for the Observer. I hear they've got serious staffing problems.

Yay! Can you remember who signed you up?
    Were you harassed relentlessly by someone in a grey hoodie (between hours of 1 and 3)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Orisha

I wandered by the LGBT stand. I mean, I know what LGB is, and I have lots of gay friends, but is the T what I think it is? Transsexual or transgenital or whatever the hell they call themselves.

Does that mean you can you REALLY find that sort of person on UCD's campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

T = Transgender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Orisha wrote:
    I wandered by the LGBT stand. I mean, I know what LGB is, and I have lots of gay friends, but is the T what I think it is? Transsexual or transgenital or whatever the hell they call themselves.

Does that mean you can you REALLY find that sort of person on UCD's campus?

It's just there to piss off conservatives.
    Its for people who believe that they have been born the wrong gender. (no matter how phyisically impossible that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Orisha

Ugh! :( That's what I thought. Can you REALLY find people like that in UCD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

Someone said that (Do they even exist in UCD though?) to me in the bar before during Rainbow week last year and we all laughed and then one of the girls we were with just went "Hi. You've met one now. I'm a transexual" and we all kinda looked at her and I don't think she was kidding.
    How weird. So maybe they do exist everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I know it's too late now, but you all shouldve joined the lovely world aid soc alright (thanks panda!). We're great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

Any truth in the rumour that World Aid soc is basically just Retro soc pretty much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

ChrisCross wrote:
    Any truth in the rumour that World Aid soc is basically just Retro soc pretty much?
    Nah, that's rubbish.

But if you really wanna save the world? Join an NGO, or an 'actual' charity or similar volunteer organisation.

This lot couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery...:v:

Orisha wrote:
    Ugh! :( That's what I thought. Can you REALLY find people like that in UCD?

The problem with tolerance is that it attracts those who need to be tolerated.

Since gender is set a contraception its largly a moot point. I think its the same way some people like feet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

SebtheBum wrote:

But if you really wanna save the world? Join an NGO, or an 'actual' charity or similar volunteer organisation.
    or pretend that you're Bono. *spit*:rolleyes:
    Whatever anyone does never ever become one of those Concern or Barnados people who scare the bollox off you on Grafton Street!

Anyway if anyone who has been down at the rifle range recently could you tell me the length of time you've been waiting for your turn on the rifle or are there generally alot of people down there these days?

or pretend that you're Bono. *spit*:rolleyes:
    Whatever anyone does never ever become one of those Concern or Barnados people who scare the bollox off you on Grafton Street!
    QUOTE]

They're called chuggers (charity muggers)

• Advertisement

Anyway if anyone who has been down at the rifle range recently could you tell me the length of time you've been waiting for your turn on the rifle or are there generally alot of people down there these days?

Haven't had to wait at all on either day I've been down

Advertisement