Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dean Ashton

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

He is a decent player but I think 7m might be a bit too much for him. He went through a bit of a goal scoring drought for a while this season which was very surprising although Norwich are not exactly setting the league alight. I think he would do well, he is kind of similiar to the way Beattie plays although I think Ashton is a better player.

Around the 4m mark would be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The hammer's have been well and truely fleeced. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

It was too good of an offer to turn it down. Ashton is a great player both on the ground and in the air. Although he lacks pace what he can do with the ball is something else. Now all we're worried about is what we will do with the money coming in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He's a good player and the 7 million could be a good investment. What age is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Really decent player, scored important goals for Norwich last season. He's been consistent this season too. I don't think 7 million is too much when you consider how hard it is to buy a proven goal-scorer for that much. He's young too.
    I'm sure it was too good an offer for Norwich to turn down, but at the same time it's a bit of a blow. They had a dreadful start of the season, but have steadied themselves and gotten in contention for the play-offs. To lose your top scorer at this stage of the season is less than ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

To lose your top scorer at this stage of the season is less than ideal.

Tell me about it. :p

I'm a big fan of Hulse, have followed his progress since seeing him play for Crewe a few years back. Great header of a ball, a very decent centre forward.

Ashton would've had more goals this season only for fracturing his skull at the Reading game made him unavailable for 4 games. He was the only person to bust a gut to try and get us back into games when we went through the worst spell that I've seen us play away to QPR. Luton, Stoke etc. My season ticket renewal forms are coming in the post tomorrow so I have to fork out money for that at a time when I'm so pissed at the board for selling too easily. He was under contract, signed a new one during the summer so all we had to do was like Jordan of Palace and turn around and say to West Ham "Thanks for your interest but bugger off because we have plans". But no and now it will be interesting to see what players we buy in the next 9 days. We certainly won't get a playoff position now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Hulse, have followed his progress since seeing him play for Crewe a few years back. Great header of a ball, a very decent centre forward.

Ashton. It is sunday morning thou...:)

Yeah I was wondering why he said Hulse. Probably the trauma of losing Walcott is gone to him

• Advertisement

Ashton. It is sunday morning thou...:)

Cheers, was gonna say something about Crewe churning out the strikers so had Hulse on the brain!

Trying desperately to pack bags here so not concentrating! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Seven Milllion is a lot to pay for him. As has already been said he lacks the pace to make him a top class striker. Good deal for Norwich .

You don't need pace to be a brilliant striker. He is fast but not the pace of Owen/Ronaldo. Oh well lets see who we bring in now to replace him, hopefully not Cameron Jerome.

kensutz wrote:
    You don't need pace to be a brilliant striker. He is fast but not the pace of Owen/Ronaldo. Oh well lets see who we bring in now to replace him, hopefully not Cameron Jerome.

Why not him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I think he's a good player. Good signing for West Ham, and although £7.25 million is a bit over the odds, he could be a great focal point to the team along with Harewood and bag alot of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Alan Pardew said tonight in West Ham's press conference that they did pay a little over the odds for him, but that it will be a good investment.
    I guess you'll always pay over the odds for young English talent.

Advertisement