Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions

• 22-01-2006 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭

I have read rumors on here that the distance from the exchange that will accept broadband will increase. I was wondering is this limit really exact, like when you get to 4.5km it will just not work, I find this hard to believe. E.g. Could your broadband work at say 5-6km from the exchange if eircom enabled your line?
    Even if the speeds were slower I would still be happy enough just to get broadband at my house in Donegal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

digiman wrote:
    I have read rumors on here that the distance from the exchange that will accept broadband will increase. I was wondering is this limit really exact, like when you get to 4.5km it will just not work, I find this hard to believe. E.g. Could your broadband work at say 5-6km from the exchange if eircom enabled your line?
    Even if the speeds were slower I would still be happy enough just to get broadband at my house in Donegal.

Sorry mate but DSL is maxed out around 4 km and that is all line reliant ect ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Madong wrote:
    Sorry mate but DSL is maxed out around 4 km and that is all line reliant ect ect.
    Tell that to BT in the UK who have NO limit.

Tell that to BT in the UK who have NO limit.

becuase the have the desity and infrastructure .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Just say for instant, hypotheticaly speaking of course, Eircom enabled your phone line, and you got a broadband modem, is there any chance that you would be able to get broadband even if you were outside the distance range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

digiman wrote:
    Just say for instant, hypotheticaly speaking of course, Eircom enabled your phone line, and you got a broadband modem, is there any chance that you would be able to get broadband even if you were outside the distance range?
    Yes. That's what BT do in the UK. Enable the line, send out the modem and if you can't connect they send out an engineer to sort the line out.
    The have abandoned line testing completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

These rumours seem to be as a result of expected ADSL2 and plus installations. I talked to a friend at the weekend who said is unable to get ADSL from eircom but smart called him and said he was now in range for their service.

Madong wrote:
    becuase the have the desity and infrastructure .........
    Nope, wrong.
    kaizersoze wrote:
    Yes. That's what BT do in the UK. Enable the line, send out the modem and if you can't connect they send out an engineer to sort the line out.
    The have abandoned line testing completely.
    That's correct. You see Madong €ircon != BT; one company is serious about BB the other is a piece of ****.

Nope, wrong.That's correct. You see Madong €ircon != BT; one company is serious about BB the other is a piece of ****.

Difine a piece of ****e? the technology does not allow DSL to be brought to all areas, fact? unless 100's of switches are place around the country which is not justified by the market size, Its not BT or Eircom or any DSL porvider its economic sence on thier behalf... it does not make buisness sence.......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878483

Madong wrote:
    Difine a piece of ****e? the technology does not allow DSL to be brought to all areas, fact? unless 100's of switches are place around the country which is not justified by the market size, Its not BT or Eircom or any DSL porvider its economic sence on thier behalf... it does not make buisness sence.......
    The problem is that lines that "fail" €ircon's test can still carry BB; point in case is my cousin who after several months of complaining to the higher ups in €ircon finally got BB eventhough his line "failed". It still fails. His line quality is better then mine. The fact is €ircon are trying to slow/limit the spread of ADSL because they prefer dial-up. Honestly the problem is not mainly technical it's the managment of the monopoly power in this country who want to keep the country backward.

The problem is that lines that "fail" €ircon's test can still carry BB; point in case is my cousin who after several months of complaining to the higher ups in €ircon finally got BB eventhough his line "failed". It still fails. His line quality is better then mine. The fact is €ircon are trying to slow/limit the spread of ADSL because they prefer dial-up. Honestly the problem is not mainly technical it's the managment of the monopoly power in this country who want to keep the country backward.

Just curious, how do you know he has a better line quality?

• Advertisement

Madong wrote:
    Just curious, how do you know he has a better line quality?
    SnR and ATEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

SnR and ATEN.
    Which is found in the status page of your ADSL modem/router. Btw it's true that lines which are longer than eircom allow can pass for ADSL. The longest line I've seen enabled by eircom after they were pressured into doing so was 5.1 km.

OP: ADSL seems to be able to work up to 18000 ft/about 6 km unrepeatered but beyond that it needs a bit of luck. I'm at the awkward number of 6.5 km. As has been mentioned elsewhere, February is the time to look to see if the limits have increased.

HTH

SnR and ATEN.

How did you achieve this ? did they give it to you ? I'm gonna try and get mine............ went through the same problems.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Look for them on your router stats page before asking anymore questions please!!!

Advertisement