Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Hypocrisy - running wild....

Options
  • 22-01-2006 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

This really irritates me - when anyone posts a link to download software, or torrent sites, or MP3's, or game patches, or discussion of anything illegal (or anything else remotely fun, for that matter), the topic gets deleted by the mighty board mods, and the poster gets warned or suspended.

That's why I have one question:

Why was this topic, which doesn't just give a link another site - it actually gives you a direct link to download a book copyrighted under Irish Law - why was this topic PINNED of all things, when it should have been deleted and the OP warned or suspended?????

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054851283

Isn't this just typical of the hypocrisy and double-standards we see on boards every day? The sad thing is, that I'll probably be banned for pointing it out....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Has it been pointed out to the forum mods? The post reported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

BuffyBot wrote:
    Has it been pointed out to the forum mods? The post reported?
    Yes, but nothing has been done. One of the mods even thanked & praised him for posting it, and then pinned it - bullsh*t IMO.
    I posted a link a few months ago to "DVD Shrink" - which is a piece of FREEWARE, and isn't illegal, and it was removed because "it rips DVDs" - my argument was that, who's to say the DVDs you rip aren't your own productions, since it was posted in the Audio/Video editing forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thread has been deleted.
    thanks for pinting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What was the book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One of the mods even thanked & praised him for posting it, and then pinned it - bullsh*t IMO.
    I posted a link a few months ago to "DVD Shrink" - which is a piece of FREEWARE, and isn't illegal, and it was removed because "it rips DVDs" - my argument was that, who's to say the DVDs you rip aren't your own productions, since it was posted in the Audio/Video editing forum....

While the DVD shrink thing is a bit ott, in fairness I'm sure the mod in question regarding the book didn't fully realise that the book was...well, whatever, you know what I mean. :)

• Advertisement

Yes, but nothing has been done.

Then go to the Cat Mod, SMod or Admin..as it happens, it's been edited now that the appropriate person has been let know..fairly simple..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

If you used the "report a post" function it should have gone to the Mods and the CMod. Did you? If you did and nothing was done, after a proportionate amount of time, then there was nothing wrong with posting here.

It is only double-standards if the same mod who pinned that was removing links to other piracy. I don't think it is hypocrisy more than that mod not realising how serious the issue is with posting links to download copyrighted material. I'm sure the mod will know better next time.

damien.m wrote:
    It is only double-standards if the same mod who pinned that was removing links to other piracy.

No, it's double standards because all the mods should be briefed with the same set of rules IMO - and if that mod didn't realise that it's illegal to post (and pin) copyrighted material, then they're clearly a dumbass and shouldn't be moderating anything IMO. I've only been on this forum for 2 months and I've seen topics deleted that contained copyrighted material - how can the mod in question (who has no doubt been a member for years) have consistently missed that, unless they're blind or just plain stupid?

And yes, I did report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wow aren't you an aggressive little so and so...why the need for so much abuse in your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

No, it's double standrads because all the mods should be briefed with the same set of rules IMO - and if that mod didn't realise that it's illegal to post (and pin) copyrighted material, then they're clearly a dumbass and shouldn't be moderating anything IMO.

Are mods not human too? Can they not have lapses in judgement? If the lapses in judgement of that one mod were continuous then there is an issue, if it was just once then surely it can be forgiven. Leeway needs to be on both sides. Posters need to give mods a chance and mods need to stop being zero-sum and allow posters a buffer.

• Advertisement

i deleted it becuase it was reported.
    i am however not the mod of the forum.

ease yourself down from that soap box there please, becuase i could have easily have banned you for personal abuse on the very same thread you reported.

and hobbes, it was a copy of the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

and hobbes, it was a copy of the rules of the road.
    Theoretically could someone not type out the rules of the road themselves and release it freely (through the medium of a thread on that forum)?

I know that particular book is copyrighted but the rules themselves are something that EVERYONE should know... not just motorists (for example if a pedestrian gets hit by a car it would be handy for them to know exactly who was in the right and who was in the wrong (ignoring of course the way pedestrians are always apparently in the right if they're hit by a car))

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ease yourself down from that soap box there please, becuase i could have easily have banned you for personal abuse on the very same thread you reported.

Exactly ;)
    Wow - your life must suck ass if you had nothing better to do than photograph 69 pages of the Rules of the Road book - lol. Seriously dude - get a freakin' life.

steveland? wrote:
    Theoretically could someone not type out the rules of the road themselves and release it freely (through the medium of a thread on that forum)?

I know that particular book is copyrighted but the rules themselves are something that EVERYONE should know... not just motorists (for example if a pedestrian gets hit by a car it would be handy for them to know exactly who was in the right and who was in the wrong (ignoring of course the way pedestrians are always apparently in the right if they're hit by a car))

well, i dont know the law of the land on this, however, its not part of this discussion.

the document was a direct copy of the booklet. in fact, it was photographs of the booklet, page by page and then stuck into pdf format.
    that is not even plagarism, thats actually copyright theft.

so, the thread was deleted. i think whoever stickied it was wrong, and should have had more sense to leave it there, but it is down now.

i think if the OP is so anrgy about it (and certainly seems to be) he should perhaps look at who did the copying and distribution rather than boards.ie.

although, i feel it may just be a personal bugbear for him and we will probably not hear much more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jesus is the original poster a headline writer for The Sun or something, all that was missing was "Scandel" or "Exclusive to the Irish Sun".

Everyone makes a mistake, the mod in question made one. The chances of being pursued by the publishers of "The Irish Rules of the Road" are in reality quite slim, whereas software publishers, music & film companies are quite aggressive in their pursuit of copyright offenders and that is why those links are stamped on.

Now if you don't like this or being deprived of other "remotely fun" activities you can log off and never return. Quite frankly reading this whinge here leads me to believe this site will be all the better without you.

gandalf wrote:
    Now if you don't like this or being deprived of other "remotely fun" activities you can log off and never return.

Done. Goodbye.
    Quite frankly reading this whinge here leads me to believe this site will be all the better without you.

This site would be better off with less nerds like you on power trips - geek....
    "The 40-year Old Virgin - Part 2"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Lump Basher is one of the most abusive muppets going on boards. This thread was created with nothing but spite in mind; to try and rub this slip-up in the face of boards.

Frankly, I think he should be sent packing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Done. Goodbye.

This site would be better off with less nerds like you on power trips - geek....

Cry more?

BTW

indenial.jpg

No, it's double standards because all the mods should be briefed with the same set of rules IMO

And you still wont get the same results due to people being individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Done. Goodbye.

Funnily enough, gandalf would smash you into a bloody pulp given the chance, he's HUGE! :v:

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    Funnily enough, gandalf would smash you into a bloody pulp given the chance, he's HUGE! :v:

I hear he grinds bones for his bread. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

geek....
    ...opines the guy who's into fella's prancing around in spandex.

What was that, Pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I hear he grinds bones for his bread. :eek:

Gandalf once beat up every pregnant woman he saw because he was afraid that their offspring would grow up to challenge him. Not because any average child sired by an average man would compete with gandalf, but because gandalf was probably the father as he has slept with so many women and only his offspring would pose a threat to his world dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

End this before the Chuck Norris "jokes" are edited and changed to Gandalf..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Karoma wrote:
    End this before the Chuck Norris "jokes" are edited and changed to Gandalf..

Gandalf does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Gandalf goes killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I heard The Dinosaurs looked at Gandalf the wrong way once. ONCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh, this is a non event. While WWM decided to delete the thread I would'nt have (I dunno about Borzoi who stickied it) simply cos while its copywrited its also a unbiquitous document and is better seen by as many as possible (another 3 dead overnight). Its a judgement call and in either event I doubt the government are going to sue (Dev may take a different view of course).

Its pretty amazing that the government choose to force people to buy this vital text, not allowing it to be downloaded.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Yes, but nothing has been done. One of the mods even thanked & praised him for posting it, and then pinned it - bullsh*t IMO.

Oh Rly?

DVD Shrink is linked to in the computers charter for useful pieces of software

Gandalf played Russian Roulete with a fully loaded gun and won.

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Gandalf allows to live.

Gandalf is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Gandalf can set ants on fire with a magnifying glass. At night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Rules of the road? Unless it was a verbatim copy of the book you buy then its ok. I would just love to see the government trying to pull (c) laws on information that every driver should know.

Btw heres a good one to add.
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/DrivingTestLeaflet.pdf

Advertisement