Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Hypocrisy - running wild....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

When Gandalf jumps in a body of water he doesn't get wet... the water gets Gandalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gandalf doesn't sleep... he waits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

has the OP got something against Lump.??

Seems like an internet bully
    oh noes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

The chief export of Gandalf is pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Enough! I blow Gandalf out my ass. *cough*

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Done. Goodbye.

My god I have done my one useful thing for Boards early this year :)
    This site would be better off with less nerds like you on power trips - geek....
    "The 40-year Old Virgin - Part 2"

Damn that photo is so old. I much prefer this one.

http://members.boards.ie/gandalf/Boardstock1.jpg

Also its very brave of you to have your jollies hiding behind the internet. At least I am man enough to get out and meet people.

Remember one of the reasons this is the biggest online Irish community is because there are rules and because there are some controls. If it means we lose immature children such as yourself then thats a bonus.

Bye Bye now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

mike65 wrote:
    Meh, this is a non event. While WWM decided to delete the thread I would'nt have (I dunno about Borzoi who stickied it) simply cos while its copywrited its also a unbiquitous document and is better seen by as many as possible (another 3 dead overnight). Its a judgement call and in either event I doubt the government are going to sue (Dev may take a different view of course).

Its pretty amazing that the government choose to force people to buy this vital text, not allowing it to be downloaded.

Mike.

You either let people post copyrighted material or you don't

This thread shows why boards has gone to ****, some member posts about copyright material being posted and stickied by a mod, and doesn't get much help from anyone around here, most replies to this thread are flames towards the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This thread shows why boards has gone to ****, some member posts about copyright material being posted and stickied by a mod, and doesn't get much help from anyone around here, most replies to this thread are flames towards the OP

No one is saying he is wrong to point out the fact copyright material was posted. But the way he came on here with the "Fight de Powa" aggressive attitude is not going to help the situation.

One error isn't really an example of "Forum Hypocrisy" now is it.

gandalf wrote:
    No one is saying he is wrong to point out the fact copyright material was posted. But the way he came on here with the "Fight de Powa" aggressive attitude is not going to help the situation.

One error isn't really an example of "Forum Hypocrisy" now is it.

Yes i understand that, but lets say i posted a link to some movie, i would get banned straight away, did the person who posted the book or the mod in question get any punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Right, well what about this:
    thread has been deleted.
    thanks for pinting it out.

The mistake was acknowledged and OP thanked for pointing out the mistake. Most replies to the thread were rational discussion regarding the mistake and the reasoning behind boards.ie's strict policy regarding copyright.
    Yes i understand that, but lets say i posted a link to some movie, i would get banned straight away, did the person who posted the book or the mod in question get any punishment?

By default the policy is to delete copyrighted material and warn the user about doing it again. Some forums however have had major problems with users posting the material over and over again and ignoring warnings so they've had to become a lot tougher and start implementing on the spot bans. Motoring wasn't one of those forums.

Stark wrote:
    Right, well what about this:

The mistake was acknowledged and OP thanked for pointing out the mistake. Most replies to the thread were rational discussion regarding the mistake and the reasoning behind boards.ie's strict policy regarding copyright.

By default the policy is to delete copyrighted material and warn the user about doing it again. Some forums however have had major problems with users posting the material over and over again and ignoring warnings so they've had to become a lot tougher and start implementing on the spot bans. Motoring wasn't one of those forums.

Fair enough :) nice and friendly reply ;) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Fair enough :) nice and friendly reply ;) thanks

Unlike Lump Bashers' initial reporting of the post
    This is illegal. The ROTR book is protected by Irish copyright law. I
    expect to see this removed within 24 hours or you will be reported.

and you description of the OP
    Wow - your life must suck ass if you had nothing better to do than photograph 69 pages of the Rules of the Road book - lol. Seriously dude - get a freakin' life.

For which you've received a ban from the Motors forum.

As I was the one who thanked the OP for providing a resource, and then stickied the thread I would like to point out
    1) the ROTR were never hosted by boards.ie, a link was provided
    2) The ROTR are frequently referred to in motoring discussions, and as such has stopped thread going of in pointlessly
    3) As a point of principle I feel that people shouldn't have to pay for access to view the legislation that governs them - note the UK Highway code is online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Has "gone to shít"? How long have you been here to make that judgement, it seems to be doing just fine. You saying "I will report this blah blah" isn't in the best interest of boards. Reporting it to an admin would have been just fine. Wouldn't want to get boards.ie in trouble now would we.

Borzoi wrote:
    Unlike your initial reporting of the post

As I was the one who thanked the OP for providing a resource, and then stickied the thread I would like to point out
    2) The ROTR are frequently referred to in motoring discussions, and as such has stopped thread going of in pointlessly
    3) As a point of principle I feel that people shouldn't have to pay for access to view the legislation that governs them - note the UK Highway code is online

HaHa well done you fu(ked it all up, i'm not the OP you are after quoting someone else

Giblet wrote:
    Has "gone to shít"? How long have you been here to make that judgement, it seems to be doing just fine. You saying "I will report this blah blah" isn't in the best interest of boards. Reporting it to an admin would have been just fine. Wouldn't want to get boards.ie in trouble now would we.

I'm here quite a while actualy, it just seams to me that some mods (not you, i have talked to you before i think, and if i remember correctly your an alright guy, or was that a diff mod with his name begining with G :confused: ) these days are going a bit OTT and should just take a deap breadth and chill

Borzoi wrote:
    Unlike your initial reporting of the post

copyright material is copyright material

HaHa well done you fu(ked it all up, i'm not the OP you are after quoting someone else

Fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Borzoi wrote:

It doesn't matter. A means to illegally obtain copyrighted material was provided by you. You might personally not get in trouble for it, but boards.ie could. This too is an untested area of law, do you really want boards.ie paying 50k to "Swindle, Gouge and Steel Solicitors Ltd" to see how much they (Boards.ie) can get stamped on by the copyright holder?

Many people have to remortgage houses and/or go to jail on points of principle. Unless you want to be the Boards.ie 1 and get your martyrdom, have your principles but not at Boards.ie Ltd's expense.

The legislation that Governs us is online. The rules of the road are not legislaton, they are rules. Saying that I think you'd have a valid case to campaign to make these rules free and remove another stealth tax.

Borzoi wrote:
    Fixed now.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

damien.m wrote:
    It doesn't matter. A means to illegally obtain copyrighted material was provided by you. You might personally not get in trouble for it, but boards.ie could. This too is an untested area of law, do you really want boards.ie paying 50k to "Swindle, Gouge and Steel Solicitors Ltd" to see how much they (Boards.ie) can get stamped on by the copyright holder?

Many people have to remortgage houses and/or go to jail on points of principle. Unless you want to be the Boards.ie 1 and get your martyrdom, have your principles but not at Boards.ie Ltd's expense.

The legislation that Governs us is online. The rules of the road are not legislaton, they are rules. Saying that I think you'd have a valid case to campaign to make these rules free and remove another stealth tax.
    I understand that The Independent published a list of torrent sites where one might get their "Lost fix" et al.
    As far as I'm aware it was never pursued. Just thought that was noteworthy.

In regards to the original source of this thread, I'd be highly surprised if there was no government resource freely available on oasis.gov.ie for road safety and rules.

CuLT wrote:
    I understand that The Independent published a list of torrent sites where one might get their "Lost fix" et al.
    As far as I'm aware it was never pursued. Just thought that was noteworthy.

No way! This from the guy who wanted to criminalise bloggers who "stole" his content by quoting from some articles from his newspapers. The Indo is on dodgy ground but would have been on dodgier ground if they included exact instructions on how to get a copy of say Lost 2.10 which is still not as potentially damaging as what Borzoi did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Borzoi wrote:

i dont want to be pedantic but,

the spirit of boards.ie is not to provide links to material.
    the rules of the road should be known by drivers, and all learner drivers should have a copy anyway,
    and
    the highway code may be online in the UK, but if you want a copy, you still have to purchase it.

now, the material that was put up is copyrighted. it is not a case of 'ah sure, we should all know it anyway, so shure i'll just stick it up anyway'.

you have put it back up again, and thats your business, but the fact of the matter is that it is illegal to copy material that is copyrighted. and boards.ie is not in the habit of allowing material that is copyrighted to be put up.

you have put it back up again, and thats your business, but the fact of the matter is that it is illegal to copy material that is copyrighted. and boards.ie is not in the habit of allowing material that is copyrighted to be put up.

Oh dear god, he did put it up. Madness.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

here you go Borzoi; jeez, a little googling never hurt anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting you'd think the government would have that or are L Ireland.com breaking da rulz.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it's already been said to you, but there are two ways to make a complaint/suggestion. Imagine making a similar complaint in a shop, and going in and shouting your head off, "MY GOD, ARE YOU PEOPLE COMPLETE IDIOTS?! HOW COULD YOU MAKE A MISTAKE FOR SOMETHING SO SIMPLE? THIS IS WHY YOU'RE LOW-LIFES WORKING IN A ****ING SHOP! YOU'RE ****ING MORONS!". Now imagine going in and saying, "Sorry, excuse me, but there seems to have been some mistake with my purchase". Which do you think is going to be met with politeness and efficiency, and which do you think is likely to be met with reciprocal hostility?

Then you'll understand why people jump all over the OP when they go off on a rant instead of just pointing out the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

plus the OP has a name that Lump should be offended by ;)

seamus wrote:
    Then you'll understand why people jump all over the OP when they go off on a rant instead of just pointing out the problem.

Shame that after all of this the complaint was listened to, remedied and now we are back to square one again.

• Advertisement

Well, not entirely it's up to the admins to make that call - not you, not me. And I will of course stand by any decision they make - their site, their rules.

Yes it is illegal to to copy material that is copyrighted, and I would definitely frown on anybody doing that, but it is very legal to use extracts from copyright material as reference provided that the source is acknowledged. Leaving the link allows posters to rapidly quote the ROTR for discussion purposes.

I reiterate that at no time that I'm aware of have boards.ie hosted any copyright material.

Advertisement