Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Irish Builders

Options
  • 22-01-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I thought this would be worth posting. My parents are building a mews house at the end of there garden as are there neighbours . My parents hired an Irish builder and the neighbours hired a romanina builder. They both paid by the job not for time. The romanins cost just over half what the Irish did. Both started withing a day of eachother. Today, The romanians are putting on the roof, whereas the irish, wwait for it, have just laid the first blocks on foundations. I have a good deal of knowlege of construction, I have looked at the house the romanians have build and everything seems top notch. They are now hoping to be finshed (they even paint and plumb it) by the second week in February!

This isnt meant as a knock to Irish builders, but the romanians work hard from 8 to 6, monday to Friday, and Saturdays from 8 - 2. Rain wind or shine. A completely different mentality

Comments

What we need is 50 years of Communism, despotic dactators and abject poverty. Then those Irish builders would move their lazy arses...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

This isnt meant as a knock to Irish builders, but the romanians work hard from 8 to 6, monday to Friday, and Saturdays from 8 - 2. Rain wind or shine. A completely different mentality[/QUOTE]

1 Well who are you knocking
    2 Would you work in the rain
    3 Where is there boss from are they reg and paying tax and vat

Isn't life great. I mean, here we are arsing around on a website, speculating on whether other people are lazy or not...:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

1 Well who are you knocking
    2 Would you work in the rain
    3 Where is there boss from are they reg and paying tax and vat

Yes - we all know that Irish builders declare everything taxwise. Not like those bad Romanians

Rain is part of the job expectation at some point.

Isn't life great. I mean, here we are arsing around on a website, speculating on whether other people are lazy or not...

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Carpenter wrote:
    are they reg and paying tax and vat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

THe fact that people can do a job quicker and to a standrad over somebody else doesn't surprise me. There was abuilding being built near me and the safety violations were massive. Just going by they were obvious, no safety helmets or safety boots, no barrier around the site etc...
    You can build things like this no problem as we did for years too but it doean't make it good deal. I would be most worried about insurance.

The fact they will work in bad conditions means they compramise safety also. We may be a little softer than we were but that doesn't make it right that we should work in such conditions.

On the flip side a friend of mine is building his own house and has had lots of problems with all workers no matter what their nationality.

Dellgirl wrote:
    Yes - we all know that Irish builders declare everything taxwise. Not like those bad Romanians

Rain is part of the job expectation at some point.

The only time you have to work in the rain is foundations and floors that is it
    Also are you saying only irish builders are the only people who pocket some cash
    Without the irish builder ireland would not be what it is today :D

The only time you have to work in the rain is foundations and floors that is it

So no problem then! Even less of an excuse to dwaddle.
    Also are you saying only irish builders are the only people who pocket some cash

No...but you made it sound like they never did.
    Without the irish builder ireland would not be what it is today
    The audience rises to its feet and thunderous applause is heard throughout the land.

Gotta say.....my builder (i love that....sounds like I got a pet!) was Irish and bar the odd difference of opinion and sleeivín antics on his part - he was grand.

Dellgirl wrote:
    So no problem then! Even less of an excuse to dwaddle.

No...but you made it sound like they never did.

The audience rises to its feet and thunderous applause is heard throughout the land.

Gotta say.....my builder (i love that....sounds like I got a pet!) was Irish and bar the odd difference of opinion and sleeivín antics on his part - he was grand.

Good now you see things clear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Romanian builders work hard as they want to earn lots of money.

Irish builders don't as they expect to earn lots of money.

Move over David McWilliams :D

• Advertisement

Good now you see things clear

Yes. Thats it.

Yes you people know it all so there is no point in going on

magpie wrote:
    Romanian builders work hard as they want to earn lots of money.

Irish builders don't as they expect to earn lots of money.

Move over David McWilliams :D

Hi i have 14 men on a site and i can tell you they all work very hard and have done for years also all them are irish we had a few romanians and all looked like they were working but they were the best at hiding

Check your pms Carpenter.

Carpenter wrote:
    Yes you people know it all so there is no point in going on

My oh my...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

You don't get Romanian builders surfing the interweb at 5.20.

magpie wrote:
    You don't get Romanian builders surfing the interweb at 5.20.

How do you know that and you dont see them starting at 6 in the morning like some of our lads do

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

OP. Did your parents agree a time scale with the builders? Is it written in the contract? Are the builders sticking to that contract? If so, then I don't see the problem. If not, then that is your parents fault.

Maybe the Romanians do not have much work on at the moment. Maybe the Irish guy has 20 jobs going on at the moment because he has been around for 20 years and his reputation ensures a steady stream of work.

As far as Irish Builders Expecting big money, it is my experience that it is the professionals and service industry that have that attitude in this country not the hard working skilled labour force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Righteo..... I forgot I made this thread. I'm not going to get into an argument about it, I cant be arsed.

Facts as far as I know them

1) They are putting the roof on, ours are still on the ground floor
    2) They wear helmets, I havent walked over to look at there shoes yet
    3) They pay Tax and Vat and are registered, it was one of the first questions I asked.

Advertisement