Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big One match thread (before/during/after)

• 22-01-2006 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Man Utd - Liverpool 4 pm KO

from bbc
    Manchester United hope to have Alan Smith back after an ankle problem.

Paul Scholes (blurred vision) and Park Ji-sung (knee) are definitely out - as is Cristiano Ronaldo, who is serving a three-match ban.

Liverpool pair Luis Garcia and Bolo Zenden are the only absentees ahead of the trip to Old Trafford.

Garcia is not fully recovered from a knee injury while Dutchman Zenden is a longer term absentee as he recovers from knee surgery.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Howard, Neville, Bardsley, Ferdinand, Brown, Silvestre, Vidic, Evra, O'Shea, Richardson, Smith, Fletcher, Giggs, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Saha, Rossi.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Warnock, Traore, Gerrard, Hamann, Alonso, Sissoko, Kewell, Cisse, Morientes, Sinama Pongolle, Crouch, Kromkamp, Agger, Carson.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I'll be happy enough if Liverpool come out of this with a draw, and based on the game last september, that's what I predict. A must win for Manu with The European Champs only a point behind and 2 games in hand. I'm not expecting a classic, but a good solid performance from Liverpool and 1 point and I would be more than happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

looks to be a good match, united cant afford to lose it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'd settle for a draw for pool, its not a match we need to win to achieve what we want from the league this year, ole picking up another long term injury after a floppy sissoko challenge would be a bonus, but a draw will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

el rabitos wrote:
    i'd settle for a draw for pool, its not a match we need to win to achieve what we want from the league this year, ole picking up another long term injury after a floppy sissoko challenge would be a bonus, but a draw will do

Don't see how you could wish bad luck on a character like Ole. He's been through alot and he's a tremendous footballer.

I'm hoping for a 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

2-1 win to united.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know how to call this game.
    I expect Utd to line out like this,

VDS
    Neville-Rio-Brown/Slyvestre-Evra

Then the big question, how the **** will Utd line up, cause we're missing lots of wingers.
    O'Shea, Richardson, Smith, Fletcher, Giggs, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Saha, Rossi.

I figure it will be Fletcher and Smith in midfield, despite me not wanting to see that, but alas.

So then we have Ruud up front, and thats all we can be sure of, cause I think that we could see the following line up.

Giggs-Fletcher-Smith-Rooney
    Ruud-Saha

Or even this formation

Fletcher-Smith-Rooney-Giggs
    Ruud-Saha

Or even

Giggs-Fletcher-Smith-Richardson
    Ruud-Rooney

To be totally honest, I've no idea how Utd will line up, and I normally guess right, so i'm gona guess this formation

VDS
    Neville-Rio-Brown-Evra
    Giggs-Fletcher-Smith-Richardson
    Ruud-Rooney

Because of this, i've no idea what is going to happen.
    I think United will be solid at back if Brown plays.
    I however forsee Gerrard getting a goal scoring chance definally as Smith won't track back at least once, probably two, and I'd imagine he could well put away one. That's why I'd like to see a Fletcher-Rooney midfield, as then Fletcher is the defensive one, and he tracks back well. I think if Fletcher-Smith line out, both will be defensive, and they'll just hope that Rooney and Ruud can score themselves, which they probably can.

Gut feeling, 2-1,
    Ruud and Rooney - Gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Man Utd will win.

(Just something for Hobart and the other quoters to use if the worst does happen...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Evra seems a certainty to start, tough home debut. Unfortunately I expect Silvestre to start alongside him because Evra doesn't speak any English. Interesting to see Vidic in the squad (for the first time?) I'm eager to see him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool to win 2-1.

Wonder will Hamann start ahead of Sissoko ? I doubt agger would make his debut in this match, krompkampf to come on at some stage possibly.

I would pick Sinama ahead of Cisse after recent performances.

you know if liverpool go and win today, then win the 2 games in hand, we could be looking back on this game as the day when liverpool moved ahead of united again as a club.

things will be looking rough for utd if they lose today.

...no pressure like ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've a suspicion that Rafa may be conservative and put Gerrard in the middle with Alonso or as a 2-3 midfield ahead of Alonso/Sissoko with Kewell left and Cisse or Flo-Po right that would leave Crouch upfront. Usual backline I expect.

Reina
    Finnan--Cara--Hyypia--Risse
    Alonso---Sissoko
    Cisse
    Gerrard----Kewell
    Crouch

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

1-1 draw

mike65 wrote:
    I've a suspicion that Rafa may be conservative and put Gerrard in the middle with Alonso or as a 2-3 midfield ahead of Alonso/Sissoko with Kewell left and Cisse or Flo-Po right that would leave Crouch upfront. Usual backline I expect.

Reina
    Alonso---Sissoko
    Cisse
    Gerrard----Kewell
    Crouch

Mike.

I hope he doesnt...Crouch isnt as effective unless he has someone playing alongside/infront of him. Its a good defensive formation but I believe that Liverpool are better than Man Unt by a far bit at the moment ( apart from up front ) and that they can beat them if they take an aggressive appraoch to the match. If they try and defend, Ruud & Rooney will punish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If it was a good game then I would not be too bothered about the result. Obviously I would like to see a Pool win but again if it was an exciting game with alot of incident, goals and goal mouth action then I would be happy. Liverpool have two games in hand so hopefully even if the pool lost they could pull it back with the two other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I predict at least one dodgy United penalty because they're bringing their own referee.

On the balance I think United could raise their game enough to win, but like the win over Chelsea it will just mask the greater problems at the club and in the long run, will do little for them.

Reina
    Alonso---Sissoko
    Cisse
    Gerrard----Kewell
    Crouch

Reina
    Alonso---Sissoko
    Gerrard
    Kewell
    Cisse
    Crouch

i'd look for rafa to use cisse to exploit the lack of pace in unteds defence and exploit any gaps, using crouch as a platform to knock lose balls down and make space for shots for gerrard and kewell

risking cisse on the right would take away any ballance in the side so i reckon he'll have to stick gerrard on the wing.

That's more like what I'd hope to see I think Fedinand/Silvestre/Evra would have a hard time against Cisses pace and Crouches height with Gerrard and Kewell picking up on knock-downs.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

4-1 Liverpool, but I'd take a 1 goal win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

el rabitos wrote:
    ole picking up another long term injury after a floppy sissoko challenge would be a bonus

How sporting of you.

el rabitos wrote:
    ole picking up another long term injury after a floppy sissoko challenge

Im a Liverpool supporter and comments like this disgust me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'd be very surprised if United dont win by at least 2 goals.

Over the years they have always looked a little shallow when playing the teams in the lower half of the league but they always move up a gear when the bigger boys come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

el rabitos wrote:

Mate, im getting sick of your cocky half assed bullsh*t comments, get a life. I'd say you've never even been to anfield. Every comment you make seems to be half negitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

el rabitos wrote:
    ole picking up another long term injury after a floppy sissoko challenge would be a bonus, but a draw will do
    What an absolutely sick thing to say. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Tusky wrote:
    Im a Liverpool supporter and comments like this disgust me.

Agreed.

Looking forward to this game - it should be a good one, both sides have potential to pull off great performances, and both sides should be hungry to win this game.

Team news in

-
    Reina

Finnan --Carra- Hyypia--Riise

Gerrard- Sissoko-Alonso-Kewell

Cisse-Crouch

United

VDS

Neville---Rio---Brown---Evra

Giggs--Fletcher--O'Shea--Richardson

Rooney---Ruud

No surpised to see Brown in really. Gerrard pounding down on Evra should be interesting.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Team news in

-
    Reina

Finnan --Carra- Hyypia--Riise

Gerrard- Sissoko-Alonso-Kewell

Cisse-Crouch

Mike.

It's gonna be an interesting one....! Where is this on? Newstalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

NoelRock wrote:
    It's gonna be an interesting one....! Where is this on? Newstalk?

Newstalk are covering it and Sky sport 1 on TV.

I'll be listenbing to bbc fivelive 693 and 909 MW or NTL on FM.

Mike.

The Muppet wrote:
    Newstalk are covering it and Sky sport 1 on TV.

*Thumbs up* Newstalk it is :)! Too studenty for Sky Sports and other such luxuries! Cheers, er, Muppet :o!

Well Newstalk is just a BBC relay - so that'll do me :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Come on Ole. Score the winning goal.

Liverpool subs

Dudek
    Traore
    Morientes
    Kromkamp
    Pongolle.

Still no Hamann...strange.

Mike.

is the coverage at 4 or kick off at 4

Kick off at 4.

Very happy with the formation, I think its the best choice, and actually very defensive from United.
    United are setting their stall out the following way,
    6 defenders, with Fletcher spreading it to the wings as soon as possible.
    Richardson and Giggs getting forward and backwards non stop, tracking back a lot.
    Ruud and Rooney making the magic

I don't think Liverpool are playing a 4-4-2, more like a 4-3-1-2 I think

I think Neville can handle Kewell, although he is a major threat.
    I think where this game could be won or lost is Evra vs. Gerrard.
    This is the first time we can see Evra and just how good he is.

KO at 4 pm

Mike.

NoelRock wrote:
    Agreed.

Basically leave the negativity for the man u support. :cool: dont bring us pool fans down to their level.

• Advertisement

Goes to show how things have changed when United set out with six defenders at home against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm gonna go with 2-1 to the pool:)

Yeh, or perhaps shows the complete lack of choice in United's central midfield :)

I've been trying to decide whether or not this game will decide it. I figure if Liverpool win, they might well have the confidence to go on. That siad, Liverpool ahead of United in the table will probably spur them on just as much. I think this match is important, but I don't think it'll decide the season results. I think in 10 games time we will see how the teams are fairing. Either way, no matter what the result, both teams have win next week to continue the challenge. Doesn't matter the result this week unless you can win next week.

PHB wrote:
    Doesn't matter the result this week unless...

Sorry but that seems like a bit of a cop out. Every match matters and every result matters. Seems as though you might be backpedalling (as would some Liverpool fans!) so you can point to that quote if United lose and say "oh, well, I said today doesn't matter...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

el rabitos wrote:
    ole picking up another long term injury after a floppy sissoko challenge would be a bonus, but a draw will do
    Can't I break the forum rules just once to reply to this? No? Okay...you're not worth a banning.

• Advertisement

Sorry but that seems like a bit of a cop out. Every match matters and every result matters. Seems as though you might be backpedalling (as would some Liverpool fans!) so you can point to that quote if United lose and say "oh, well, I said today doesn't matter...".

Funny thats what i thought too! (but was too polite to say it)

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

United's midfield looks very weak on paper, but that may not matter as United (frustratingly, as Arsenal have often found and Chelsea recently too) have a nasty habit of raising their game in the big domestic matches.

Here's hoping we get a good old fashioned, pulsating Premiership encounter!

Yeh, cause i'm normally so worried about being quoted as wrong by Liverpool fans :)
    Theres no doubt about it that this match is important, but I don't think its a decider.

Just so the guys can have something to quote,
    United to dominate this game, win 10-0, with Ruud to get 6 goals, Ole to make a dramatic substituion, despite not being on the team sheet, and score 4, and then a dramatic last minute goal from Cantona to make it 11-0.

All penos
    :D

C'mon Redmen!!!

Oh yeah its Mike Rielly in the middle :(

Ooooooooooooooh! Hyypia.

Mike.

Erg, Newstalk are running bloody rugby...! I got nothing!

Edit: Oh wait, MW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

lads, any chance someone could post up a link where i can listen to this live on the internet? I can't find a link!!

lads, any chance someone could post up a link where i can listen to this live on the internet? I can't find a link!!

Nowhere that I know of. MW on the radio - but the MW hiss is already giving me headaches... if you find a net feed let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

:) , thanks Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement