Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big One match thread (before/during/after)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Very poor game again. I thought today would have been alot better than Septembers effort.

I think Liverpool gave Man U too much respect. Liverpools midfield should have dominated more.

Ive said it before and will say again, Cisse is a fecking disaster. Liverpool badly need to sign a striker. Crouch is handy, but only that, Morientes, while having a great history, just doesnt seem like he will ever adapt to the English game, and Cisse, well, the less said the better I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mike65 wrote:
    Neville after the goal ran back down the length of the pitch to the Liverpool fans and kissed the badge (ugh!). After the final whistle I belive he was at it again. 606 phone in is full of it right now.

Mike.

He should be done for incitement, but somehow given who's involved, I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

spockety wrote:
    Understandable. But we should allow them this win, after all, it's probably going to be the highlight of their entire season.

:rolleyes: like liverpool are going to clear up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He should be done for incitement, but somehow given who's involved, I doubt it.

Cause the FA are so nice to United :)
    I'd imagine Riley didn't see it, and if he looks at it afterwards, can he give a post match yellow card? I'm not quite sure on the rules there.

redspider wrote:
    This was a typical Man U / Liverpool game as in very close where it looked like a single goal would take it and thats what happened. Liverpool, if anything, had the better credentials for the taking of all 3 pts as they had the closest chances in the match. Cisse's miss from 4 yards was unbelieable and was easier than Ferdinand's goal.

I think most Man U fans will feel elated to get all 3 pts and most Liverpool fans will feel deflated as Man U stole it at the death. The stats also support it. Given the late time of the score, there was no real way back.

That doesnt settle 2nd place, by any shape of the imagination. And even though Chelsea slipped up badly today, they should get back into their gear, and Livepool should recover from this. This was a game at home at Man U, where Liverpool were more deserving of the points. That should be sufficient ammunition to motivate the players.

time for another consolitory beer ....

redspider

ps: at least Celtic won well earlier in the day ....

You think the pool should have won :eek: i disagree, they played safe most of the match, cisse is not worhty to play for the pool he should be sent packing, it was a close match, nobody really diserved the win, so it came down to how got a goal and who didn't

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Neville after the goal ran back down the length of the pitch to the Liverpool fans and kissed the badge (ugh!). After the final whistle I belive he was at it again. 606 phone in is full of it right now.

Mike.

I am a united supporter and i fu(king hate gary neville :mad: , he acts to tough and ****s up a lot when he goes forward. If he'd just stay back in defence and do what he's good at then i would gain a little bit of respect for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

spockety wrote:
    Understandable. But we should allow them this win, after all, it's probably going to be the highlight of their entire season.

lol, well I guess you lot would be the experts. Two trophies of any significance over the last 16 years, getting a lucky win in the champions league last year and you think you're world beaters.

Lets see how the season pans out shall we, I'm betting on yet another trophyless season for Liverpool but as long as you finish in a champions league place I'm sure you'll consider that a good season, and at least you'll finish ahead of Everton this season ehh?

How the mighty have fallen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    Probably the only thing that idiot gets to kiss , considering what Robben got sent off for last week he should definitely be done by the FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Some very honest comments and mature analyses from both sets of fans here; I must admit, I'm surprised, I was expecting a flame war :)!

Rafa's a good man - nobody's going to believe me, but I had a post typed out questioning the Kromkamp substitution and then, subsequently, decided to delete it when memories of my Luton half-time post (and the rightful bashing I got) came flooding back - ha. Damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

what do the liverpool fans complaining about gary nevilles reaction think of robbie fowlers constant incitement of united fans?!

it was over reaction by neville but what harm was he doing?

this fixture is always a big game for both sets of fans and its because of attitudes like neville. how many man united fans jumped up in the pub and done something similar to liverpool fans today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Crap match in fairness. Liverpool played nowhere near their best form, didn't take advantage of what on paper looked like midfield dominance. Cissé's miss was ridiculous, he was pissing about on the ground, if he had gotten up earlier I reckon he would've scored. Underlines that he still has an attitude problem, and that Liverpool do need to buy a partner for Crouch.
    As for ManU, don't know how Giggs got MOTM, had to be Rooney. Especially after that excellent foul towards the end on Pongolle.

Is it a good result for ManU though. Or will it merely pronlong Ferguson's tenure in mediocrity?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Crap match in fairness. Liverpool played nowhere near their best form, didn't take advantage of what on paper looked like midfield dominance. Cissé's miss was ridiculous, he was pissing about on the ground, if he had gotten up earlier I reckon he would've scored. Underlines that he still has an attitude problem, and that Liverpool do need to buy a partner for Crouch.
    As for ManU, don't know how Giggs got MOTM, had to be Rooney. Especially after that excellent foul towards the end on Pongolle.

Is it a good result for ManU though. Or will it merely pronlong Ferguson's tenure in mediocrity?

:D i pissed myself laughing when i seen that, you could see rooney running towards him at twice the speed of any other player and you were just thinking "holy **** he's gonna take him out of it, someone ring an ambulance"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I didnt think Kewell played all that well and Cisse was himself which I dont think
    is all that good :(

The defense was great! I felt the risse and finnan were hessative to go
    forward. Midfield was good for the first half then second the pace dropped
    and we really needed kewell to help out there and the forwards to start holding
    up the ball and working as a DUO but it never happened.

Liverpool will be a much better team with a right midfielder. Even one to just
    sub on instead of Sisoko(?) when he switched with Gerrard.

Ya know what. Maybe we deserved to have this slap on the wrist for not
    finishing off the lesser team :D They always come back to bite ya. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

None whatsoever. Its just football fans have become to bloody sensitive. I cant stand Gary Neville, and would loosely call myself a Liverpool fan (in as much as I support English football), but all he was doing was showing a bit of passion. Take the passion out of the game and what are you left with.

Not to mention the Liverpool fans were probably shouting all sorts of abuse at Neville for the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Man utd certainly didnt deserve to win it, specially not in the 90th minute. Close game, a draw would have been fair. Liverpool didnt take advantage of Uniteds weaknesses in midfield. The sooner Liverpool sell Morientes & Cisse the better. Especially Cisse. He is fast and can hit the ball hard, that is ALL he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

i dont think you can accuse Kromkamp of giving a free header. If your defending zones then thats the risk you take.

He did however let evra run past him whilst ballwatching which in turn forced stevey finnan to make the foul which led to the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

load of bollix.. liverpool champions of europe still in the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

You think the pool should have won :eek: i disagree, they played safe most of the match
    cisse is not worhty to play for the pool he should be sent packing
    it was a close match, nobody really diserved the win, so it came down to how got a goal and who didn't

On merit, a draw would have been the fairest result, but if someone should have won it with best efforts created, etc, it would have been Liverpool. Man U winning it is a steal for them. Quieroz knows it and couldn't contain his delight. And I'm sure Ferguson is the same. Benitez on the other hand is close to gutted. And Gerrard will feel pissed off.

I am the first to put my hand up when Liverpool deserve to lose a match, but this one they didnt.

But overall from a Liverpool perspective, they can take heart in how well they handled Man U at Old Trafford, so shouldnt let this eat at them. I'm sure Benitez will be able to use the psychology to good effect, once he gets past the anger himself!

I agree about Cisse but I would also combine into the same sentence Crouch and Morientes. None of the 3 are good enough, plain and simple, and Benitez is responsible for signing two of them.

redspider

cisse is gone I cannot belive they loaned out mellor in favour for this guy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Iago wrote:
    lol, well I guess you lot would be the experts. Two trophies of any significance over the last 16 years, getting a lucky win in the champions league last year and you think you're world beaters.

Lets see how the season pans out shall we, I'm betting on yet another trophyless season for Liverpool but as long as you finish in a champions league place I'm sure you'll consider that a good season, and at least you'll finish ahead of Everton this season ehh?

ha! you're funny, at least we beat our rivals this season, man city - joke of a game. at least we have a future to look forward to, while according to alex fegurson man utds future is darren fletcher, enjoy league 1 then. at least we are still in the cl with the trophy to defend. at least we have the best coach in europe and the best midfielder in europe bar Ronaldinho. so you can have your win, and that muck midfield and defence and we'll take 2nd place this year, potentially a cl & fa cup final and a bright future. enjoy....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Iago wrote:

Your taking the piss right!?

Would that lucky win be against Olympiakos, Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea or Ac Milan?

Another trohyless season? UEFA cup, FA Cup, Super Cup, CArling Cup, Champions League all in recent seasons. I think thats more than what United have won in the last few seasons.

Call_me_al wrote:
    ha! you're funny, at least we beat our rivals this season, man city - joke of a game. at least we have a future to look forward to, while according to alex fegurson man utds future is darren fletcher, enjoy league 1 then. at least we are still in the cl with the trophy to defend. at least we have the best coach in europe and the best midfielder in europe bar Ronaldinho. so you can have your win, and that muck midfield and defence and we'll take 2nd place this year, potentially a cl & fa cup final and a bright future. enjoy....

ye legend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well aparently he started off a mini riot.....

Lots of trouble/fights after the game.

The FA will look into it for sure. Saw it on TV and he was being a prized twat.

About the Game well the less said about it the better. Cisse lost that game for liverpool. Always knew he was a bad player but christ what a donkey..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Excellent, especially the amount of scousers who said to me at work that it would be at least a 2-0 win!!!

We didnt really deserve the win but hey we will take it. Total crap match, took United 45 minutes for a shot on target, excllent header though, great power.

~Cisse is a legend though, that haircut and miss of the year was great entertainment.

Neville is gas but I expect the police will warn him .

League defo over now, sure there is always next year!

redspider wrote:

I agree about Cisse but I would also combine into the same sentence Crouch and Morientes. None of the 3 are good enough, plain and simple, and Benitez is responsible for signing two of them.

redspider

unfortunately i have to agree with Andy "I love man utd" gray when he said if we had RVN and Rooney up front, perish the thought, we would be up with Chelsea at the moment. while i would hate to see those two wearing a Liverpool jersey, his point was good, shockingly! but if we had 2 clinical strikers, while keeping crouch, we would be doing much better. also a right winger really wouldnt go astray, gerrard is better in the midfield and sissoko cannot be relied on every match, i didnt feel comfortable whenever he tackled or was on the ball - good potential but still lots to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

If this game proves one thing, it's that Cisse will be shipped at the end of the season. He was awful.
    World-class goalscorer required, wonder if it'll be MO?

Good point by Gray, put vN and Rooney in that Liverpool team and we'd be challenging Chelsea. Love him or hate him, Rooney was excellent again today.

oh, and my 3-y-old has more sense than Gary Neville.

redspider wrote:
    On merit, a draw would have been the fairest result, but if someone should have won it with best efforts created, etc, it would have been Liverpool. Man U winning it is a steal for them. Quieroz knows it and couldn't contain his delight. And I'm sure Ferguson is the same. Benitez on the other hand is close to gutted. And Gerrard will feel pissed off.

I am the first to put my hand up when Liverpool deserve to lose a match, but this one they didnt.

But overall from a Liverpool perspective, they can take heart in how well they handled Man U at Old Trafford, so shouldnt let this eat at them. I'm sure Benitez will be able to use the psychology to good effect, once he gets past the anger himself!

redspider

the point i am making is neither team deserved the win, so it came down to who got a lucky goal

owen cant stay fit i dont want to see him back, i wouldnt be surprised if we found a lot of money and raided la liga would love to see someone like torres playing for us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

the point i am making is neither team deserved the win, so it came down to who got a lucky goal

more like neither team deserves to even be in the league. that was such a crap match.
    Parents got the old Sky in the house for the first time recently and i thought i'd watch the BIG GAME at home for a change instead of the pub, i should have gone to the pub, least i'd be getting locked while i watched that drivel!
    owen cant stay fit i dont want to see him back

Take a look at the manager in your answer to his current fitness, Souness has had fitness problems with his players at almost every team hes gone to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

whiskeyman wrote:
    BBC5Live commentators slating Neville for his actions... apparently he ran the full length of the pitch towards the Pool fans punching the air and holding the crest on his shirt at them.
    Not shown on TV though, but it was the first thing they noticed just after the goal.

I've seen it and it wasn't anything much IMO. A lot less than Robbie Fowler did last week. But I didn't hear anyone moaning about it then.

All he did was run over and show his shirt while screaming his head off. Then he grabbed his badge and backed away. What do you expect? It's something called passion, one of the things that will always be there in matches between these two teams.

Check out the link and make up your own mind.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.p...elebrations.zip

If that doesn't work try this

http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...1P1JU82TEHQVY47

Look you lot lost today :D We lost last week :mad: But there'll be all those nice Utd supporters in work tomorrow. It's football, get over it, or hold another minutes silence, eh El Rabito? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

neither link works for me, hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Call_me_al wrote:

So beating Everton is the hallmark of your season now? does that not emphasise my point on how the mighty have fallen?

Ok lets examine your "bright future" as you put it, actim index for this season so far

Defence

Reina is ranked 3rd best keeper in the league this season behind Peter Cech and Edwin Van Der Sar

There are no Liverpool defenders in the Top 5 so far, whereas there are two players each from Chelsea and United.

Midfield

Only Steven Gerrard makes it for Liverpool, but according to the stats he isn't even the best midfielded in England with Lampard finishing in front of him! Granted there are no United players there...but lets be honest did anyone expect there would be?

Attack

Van Nistlerooy, Henry, Rooney...again no Liverpool players, but then with the figures below that's hardly a surprise is it?

Liverpool
    Crouch 4 goals in 18 prem games
    Morientes 3 goals in 15 prem games
    Cisse 3 goals in 19 games

Hardly striking fear into premiership defences, in fact even West Ham have scored more goals this season than Liverpool have!

For the future you have Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Javi Alonso...outside of that I'm struggling to think of any of your players that would get into a premiership 11...(and out of those 3 only Gerrard is guaranteed a spot)

As opposed to the futureless United for whom Heinze, Rooney, Ferdinand, Van Nistlerooy and Edwin Van Der Sar would all have shout (possibly only Heinze and Rooney who would walk into the team, the other 3 are debateable)

Benitez is not the best coach in Europe, again he's not even the best coach in England, when he gets close to emulating what Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or even Jose Mourinho has managed then maybe he can look further afield and compare himself to Europes best. If you seriously think that you'll make the CL final then you're far too delusional for me to talk sense into so I won't waste anymore time trying to do so.

Your taking the piss right!?

Would that lucky win be against Olympiakos, Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea or Ac Milan?

Another trohyless season? UEFA cup, FA Cup, Super Cup, CArling Cup, Champions League all in recent seasons. I think thats more than what United have won in the last few seasons.

That would be lucky overall, Olympiakos were absolutely rubbish and still almost managed to turn you over, and as for Milan the entire season they were guilty of crumbling after being in a practically unassailable position. Don't get me wrong it was a fantastic acheievement, but if you don't beleive it was lucky then you're just as bad as those so called United fans whose selective memory leads them to believe that the treble was achieved without a hint of luck!!

As for trophy count since you last one the trophy that really matters, the league championship united have won

8 League Titles
    1 Champions League
    5 FA Cups
    1 League Cup
    1 European Super Cup
    1 InterContinental Cup
    1 European Cup-Winners Cup

your UEFA, FA and League Cup all came 5 years ago (I know you won the league cup the following year) the same season that United won the 3rd of their 3 in a row Premier League titles following the treble winning year in 1999.

Now to get back on Topic:

Were United lucky today? Yes, a draw would have been a fair result, but Liverpool did sit back the last 20 minutes and allow united to come at them. Strategically that wasn't a bad idea in terms of where the overall league is concerned but tactically it was a disaster waiting to happen, and ferdinand duly popped up to make it so. It was a clear free-kick and a good goal, a little undeserved but lets be honest, we would all take it every day of the year!

Do Liverpool have a future? Certainly, benitez is a good coach and although you're only the 4th best team in England at the moment there's a real chance to overtake Arsenal over the next season or two, and possibly United. Your problem there is that I believe Glazer will back ferguson and that means money for transfers, it's then down to ferguson to buy wisely. I'm not particularly enamoured with Ferguson in recent times, but the team is playing far better now than they were at the early part of the season and I think we'll stay in 2nd and win/make the finals of both cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

muffler wrote:
    I'd be very surprised if United dont win by at least 2 goals.
    Oops, sorry - just one goal :D

lol, I figured this would turn into a slagging match, but why the deep anaylsis, like its gona change minds or something :)
    Good point by Gray, put vN and Rooney in that Liverpool team and we'd be challenging Chelsea. Love him or hate him, Rooney was excellent again today.

You see, I think with Ruud and Rooney, Liverpool might be challenging Liverpool, but in reality, with Gerrard and Alonso, United would be beating chelsea.

---

I don't think this game has changed, except 3 points obviously. United's form is still fairly ****ing good, bar the mishap against City, and have a fairly acceptable run coming up.
    Liverpool however have two easy games, then the horribleness of Febuary and March, with two extra games to catch up, to play.

Liverpool apparently dominated today and United got flukely, or thats the impression I get from some liverpool fans.
    So are any of the following statements not true?

A. The first half, neither side were firmly in front. Liverpool created one decent chance which Brown blocked down, Man Utd created one decent chance which was called off side when it wasn't. Liverpool created more shots on goal, although none were testing. United controlled the possesion more, but were unable to penetrate. Overall, Liverpool edged it, but by no massive margin.

B. In the first 20 minutes of the second half, Liverpool dominated. They had one very good chance, that of Cisses, but had no other fantastic chances. They created lots of half chances, but were wastful with the final ball.

C. In the last 20 minutes of the second half, Man Utd dominated. They had two very good chances. Van Nist's pull away, which was then a lame shot. Rio's header, which was put away. Liverpool sat back and accepted a draw, and were punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Indeed. I wonder where el rabitos is - he likes to talk (crap?) on behalf of our team, perhaps he can 'spin' the game in our favour.

your words hurt. honestly

spin the game in who's favour? pretty clear to see liverpool bossed the midfield and man u didnt look like scoring a goal.

i'd be worried if i thought united could score in the 90th minute and win 1 - 0 every week, but they cant. and they'll be dropping more points to some mid-table team again in a week or 2.

as someone else said. see you on your way down. liverpool will finish 2nd in comfortable fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I was waiting for the bitter Man U fans to delve back into the history books. Liverpool are historically a better team than United. That's it really and it hasn't even been a season since Liverpool won the only tropht that really matters matey, European cup, the most prestigious club competition in the world. That's the one of the unfortunate things about some Man U fans, once the FA cup was a nothing competition that United pulled out of, then it was "the best cup competition in the world" the Carling Cup was the worthnothing cup when liverpool won it but for some unted fans it is now "at least its silverware". The reason that some United fans are in denial about the decline of the club is that they keep on moving the goalposts.

And back on topic fair play to United, they needed the win more and they got it. Did not think the ref did a bad job and I thought Rafa was the ultimate gent in his post match.

jesus, alot of you people need to take the sport less seriously. Some very annoying points and overlong pointless analysis.

Yea are like schoolchildren in the playground "my team is better!" "no MY team is better".

Except with slightly better vocabulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tusky wrote:

Except with slightly better vocabulary.

Example ?

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well I think we're all unanimous in one respect... Cisse must be destroyed.

Cisse Cisse Cisse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It's not all bad, Cisse could always go as a BA Baracus (MR T) stunt double, he nearly has the hair, just lacks a few gold chains.

PHB wrote:
    So are any of the following statements not true?

A. The first half, neither side were firmly in front. Liverpool created one decent chance which Brown blocked down, Man Utd created one decent chance which was called off side when it wasn't. Liverpool created more shots on goal, although none were testing. United controlled the possesion more, but were unable to penetrate. Overall, Liverpool edged it, but by no massive margin.

B. In the first 20 minutes of the second half, Liverpool dominated. They had one very good chance, that of Cisses, but had no other fantastic chances. They created lots of half chances, but were wastful with the final ball.

C. In the last 20 minutes of the second half, Man Utd dominated. They had two very good chances. Van Nist's pull away, which was then a lame shot. Rio's header, which was put away. Liverpool sat back and accepted a draw, and were punished for it.

Domination is not a word to use for any phases of this match.

A. Liverpool were in control for the first half. Man U only had one shot in the whole of the half. Liverpool had something like 5. If Crouch was Van Basten or even Walcott or Robben he might have put his chance away. Van N was offisde, just, and at real speed 99 linesmen out of 100 would have called it off. Liverpool controlled the poessesion more, something like 60 40.

B+C. Liverpool didnt dominate, but shaded it, in fact they shaded most of the 2nd half, but both teams had scoreable chances. How Cisse's one stayed out only Cisse will know. Van Nist's shot was straight at Reina, Rooney went closer with one, and Ferdinand's goal came out of nothing.

If this was a boxing match, the ref may have given it 118-116 to the white corner, but in footballing terms a draw was a fair result. A win for Liverpool would have been a steal of sorts. The win for Man U was a bigger steal of sorts, not a daylight robbery of course, but Liverpool will have felt that they've had their pocket picked.

Most Man U fans should agree that had Ferdinands goal not gone in, then the after-match analysis would have been saying that a draw was a fair result.

such is football ....

redspider

PiE wrote:
    Well I think we're all unanimous in one respect... Cisse must be destroyed.

are you serious ? he can hit the ball really far ahead of him, chase it fast and then shoot extra hard with no accuracy!

Surely that sort of thing is invaluable to a team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Gotta laugh at Liverpool looking for Rooney to be sent off and then questioning the awarding of the free kick after the goal was scored:rolleyes:

A very tight game that looked like a draw from the first whistle bar a 15 minute spell in the second half where Liverpool looked like they had United on the rack.

If United had lost I couldnt have complained too much(as a United supporter)but at the same token I cant understandwhy Liverpool think they were robbed.It was such a tight game and did either team do enough to be considered clear cut winners or deserving?

One thing is for sure on the United front,they wouldnt have kept a clean sheet today if Silvestre had been playing instead of Brown.The guy is best defender United have at defending and should be an automatic choice.

Liverpool huffed and puffed and in reality on paper could have and should have been what is an underwhelming United side at the moment,especially right across the midfield.But Liverpool,unlike United,dont have enough match winners,players that can turn a game on their own.They have Alonso and Gerrard but thats about it.

The likes of Rooney and Van Nistelrooy are papering over the cracks at United to an extent.We are short of midfield players in a big way and they still look at times a very disjointed unit as a team.

Liverpool are a very good very well organised team but with limited capability.They are ahead of United at the moment in terms of assembling an overall team but United have more potential in what they have if they can add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

That's how you defeat the european champions. Maybe next year chumps.

sjones wrote:
    That's how you defeat the european champions. Maybe next year chumps.

a lucky goal in the 90th minute ?

affs, I did it again, lost that post twice, so now i don't care to explain it properly.

In summary,
    A. Football is about spells of possesion, always has been. The team that wins are the team that scores during those spells. United did that today, Liverpool didn't. Thus a draw was not a fair result, because Liverpool failed to do what they have to do in football, score during their spells. Man Utd did that, and thus deserved to win. If United didn't do it, they wouldn't have deserved to win. This wasn't some nicked goal in the 3rd minute then defense for the rest of the game, or under pressure for the entire match, to fluke a winner at the end, it was a fairly even game, with little chances on each side.

B. United fans go into the past because Liverpool fans do it too. Just look at the of signatures on this site from some Liverpool fans, I guarentee you'll find the words 5 european and cup in them. United fans then say something like Liverpool havn't won a league in 15 years. Of course not all fans are like this, but don't try paint either side as doing it more than the other, as its just silly. Both sets of fans have people who do it.
    p.s. The league cup is irrelevent, should be used for youth, FA cup is nice to win, but really only part of a double or treble, on its own is kinda irrelevent, although I'll take it no problem :) Premiership is the main priority, CL is next, then whatever cup compos are around are nice.

p.s.
    How in the world is Rio's goal lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

How in the world is Rio's goal lucky?

because it was rio that scored it :)

I looked at the Kromkamp influence and it definitely was a case of a substitution not working out. He was the player watching Ferdinand but was as slow as hell. Even saying that though, there was a lack of composure in the Liverpool box for that cross as others could have met it and cleared it. It was a clear free kick against Evra.

Rooney was the best for Man U although Giggs had his best game in ages. Sissoko was involved quite a lot and played the right hand side position of midfield when Rafa asked Gerrard to play in the middle. With Giggs also playing in the middle, it was an unusual set-up for Man U. The game was tight though and the pitch condition wasnt the best.

It was a typical free-kick headed type of goal. Some of you may remember this used to be Liverpool's achilles heel, the dead-ball situation and a certain Gary Pallister getting 2 in the same game.

In terms of Neville, I'd say the FA will have to do something.

redspider

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

excellent post Iago - 18 years and counting eh?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement