Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big One match thread (before/during/after)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

redspider wrote:
    In terms of Neville, I'd say the FA will have to do something.
    redspider

I doubt they'll even look into it. There's things you can't do when you're celebrating like take off your shirt or jump into the crowd. There's no rules againt holding up your badge to the opposing fans while screaming yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Iago wrote:
    As for trophy count since you last one the trophy that really matters, the league championship united have won

8 League Titles
    1 Champions League
    5 FA Cups
    1 League Cup
    1 European Super Cup
    1 InterContinental Cup
    1 European Cup-Winners Cup

The trophy that really matters? we won that last may for the 5th time!

Wow United really have been puttin some extra work in the past 8 months

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'd say he is still jumping around the house at home, smelling the sweet smell of victory ;)

Anyone got a vid of that lovely miss by Cisse, miss of the century

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

yop wrote:
    excellent post Iago - 18 years and counting eh?

What since Liverpool lost against Wimbeldon in the FA cup final? Or did you mean to say Liverpool have won the league 18 times??
    :D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Last won against Wimbeldon of course, do ye want me to spell everthing out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I am a united supporter and i fu(king hate gary neville :mad: , he acts to tough and ****s up a lot when he goes forward. If he'd just stay back in defence and do what he's good at then i would gain a little bit of respect for him
    Some Utd fan. A red devil through and through, wears his heart on his sleeve, goes out there and gives 100% every time, no matter the opposition, and you give out that when he gets forward he doesn't always give the perfect ball. Madness. i wish we could have a few more with his heart. Deserved captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Whats the problem with taunting the opposing fans ? Have we all gone a bit soft ? Im a Liverpool supporter and I dont see what yea are all complaining about. Once he wasnt abusive...i.e giving them the finger or shouting curse words, I dont see what the big deal is. He plays for manchester utd, they just scored a goal against their biggest rivals, he should be alowed to celebrate/taunt IMO. Were all grown ups here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Tusky wrote:
    Whats the problem with taunting the opposing fans ? Have we all gone a bit soft ? Im a Liverpool supporter and I dont see what yea are all complaining about. Once he wasnt abusive...i.e giving them the finger or shouting curse words, I dont see what the big deal is. He plays for manchester utd, they just scored a goal against their biggest rivals, he should be alowed to celebrate/taunt IMO. Were all grown ups here :)

Agreed with the above, Fowler scores last week and taunts the Man Utd fans and nothing is done, Same should be the case here, he was caught up in the moment and thats that. As a liverpool i was sick as a dog but we have done our fair share of smash and grabs in recent years so its all about swings and roundabouts. I will still bet on LFC for second place over UTD as i think this win only papers over a few cracks in the Utd team

Well done Man Utd and look foward to your next visit to Anfield:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Yeah have to agree there, Liverpool supporter here and was sick as a dog when Rio knocked that header in but if it had been the other way around and Gerard had done it to the Utd supporters we would all be saying what a legend he is. Football has gone a bit to PC for my liking, I hate Gary Neville like any other Liverpool fan but it's good to see a player showing such passion for the club he captains, if more players were like him it would be a much better league.

Now I need a shower as I feel dirty after praising Gary Neville. :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Iago wrote:
    Ok lets examine your "bright future" as you put it, actim index for this season so far

Defence

Reina is ranked 3rd best keeper in the league this season behind Peter Cech and Edwin Van Der Sar

There are no Liverpool defenders in the Top 5 so far, whereas there are two players each from Chelsea and United.

Midfield

Only Steven Gerrard makes it for Liverpool, but according to the stats he isn't even the best midfielded in England with Lampard finishing in front of him! Granted there are no United players there...but lets be honest did anyone expect there would be?

Attack

Van Nistlerooy, Henry, Rooney...again no Liverpool players, but then with the figures below that's hardly a surprise is it?

you know **** all about what you're talking about,
    reina 23 - van der sar is 35/36? reina is probably doing better than him this season and has maybe another 15 left in him van der sar is undoubtedly a good keeper in the last years of his career.

defence wise we have aruguably 2 players who would get into any side in carragher and finnan (i'm sure you won't agree),
    but finnnan is possible the most consistent defender in the premiership over the last 2 seasons.
    And i don't have to say very much about carragher when compared to the likes of rio (omg he scored a goal yesterday, he sure did, but he's just a bad footballer in general plays ok in some big games thats it)

midfield - Gerrard, Xabi, Hamann, kewell - bar kewell would get into any team in england all of them, kewell only wouldnt get into the chelsea team based on the 8000 wingers they already have.
    man utd - scholes(past it) giggs(past it) park(legend) ronaldo(dancer) fletcher(you gotta be kidding me) O' Shea?????(less said the better)

up front i have no complaints really van the man is a goal scoring machine overly smug but he can afford to be, he's fantastic.
    Rooney the most talented player who i would hate to see in my team wrong attitude altogether.
    Cisse is a bit of a joke these days, mori has seen better days and crouch will have many good days ahead of him at liverpool including the last game of the season when its put beyond doubt over who will finish closest to chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

but wait the actim index said so, so it must be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

mayordenis wrote:
    midfield - Gerrard, Xabi, Hamann, kewell - bar kewell would get into any team in england all of them, kewell only wouldnt get into the chelsea team based on the 8000 wingers they already have.
    man utd - scholes(past it) giggs(past it) park(legend) ronaldo(dancer) fletcher(you gotta be kidding me) O' Shea?????(less said the better)

In fairness Hamann nor Kewell woudl get into the chelsea team. I'm a chelsea fan and I would take Essien or The Mak daddy over Hamann any day of the week.

Xabi good player no doubt there I'd say he would but for me personally Gerrard and Lampard cannot play in teh same midfield together. Now this is one of those north england prefers Gerrard south prefers Lamps.

Me personally I have to agree with Andy Gray, Jamie Redknapp, Chris Kamarra, Martin Tyler, Frank Rijkard, Ronaldinho and Johann Cruijff and say that I would take Frank Lampard over Stevie G every single day of the week.

Thats Englands weekness. If Sven lines up Gerrard and Lampard in the center of midfield then England will not get close to winning the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Don't have the stomach to read through the last 100 or so posts but well done to Man United. Liverpool had their chances and didn't take them - neither team played brilliantly - if you don't take your chances then you'll get nothing out of anything.

I hope the death threats to Gary Neville don't get too vicious, not that there's such a thing as a nice death threat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gegerty wrote:
    There's no rules againt holding up your badge to the opposing fans while screaming yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Check the rules and I'll think that you'll find that there is.
    Tusky wrote:
    Whats the problem with taunting the opposing fans ? Have we all gone a bit soft ?
    Can you remember football in England during the 80's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Well lets have a look at your stats in a bit more detila then, shall we?
    Iago wrote:
    So beating Everton is the hallmark of your season now? does that not emphasise my point on how the mighty have fallen?
    I do not think that the most ferverent of Manu supporters would deny that Liverpool are in the ascendency. The highlight of the season so far has been the obvious turn around from disjointed play to something representing a team. The job is far from complete at this stage, but we are a lot closer to that goal than Manu at the moment imo.
    Ok lets examine your "bright future" as you put it, actim index for this season so far
    snip
    Yea lets lokk at the stats: Gerrard in the top 5 of midfielders, with no Manu representitive (I know you have said this btw). Reina 3rd best ranked keeper in his first season in the premiership (how many Manu keepers have that stat?) . Actually how are these stats compiled? From my reckoning Reina has 15 Clean Sheets, with 21 games played and VDS has 11 Clean sheets with 23 games played???? How does that tally?
    Hardly striking fear into premiership defences, in fact even West Ham have scored more goals this season than Liverpool have!
    A blind man walking backwards down the street can see what Rafa is trying to achieve with this team, why is it so hard for you? Look at the defence and the concentration Rafa has put into getting them to play like a well oiled machine. Look at them compared to last season, hardly recognisable are'nt they. Yes the forwards need some work, and I guarantee you he will be given the time, space and money to do so.
    For the future you have Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Javi Alonso...outside of that I'm struggling to think of any of your players that would get into a premiership 11...(and out of those 3 only Gerrard is guaranteed a spot)
    Reina, Steve Finnan, Peter Crouch (he is playing for England I believe)

If you seriously think that you'll make the CL final then you're far too delusional for me to talk sense into so I won't waste anymore time trying to do so.
    I'm going to preserve this quotation for later.

That would be lucky overall, Olympiakos were absolutely rubbish and still almost managed to turn you over, and as for Milan the entire season they were guilty of crumbling after being in a practically unassailable position
    Your talking rubbish.
    Don't get me wrong it was a fantastic acheievement,
    Typical, bitter Manu fan. The game against Milan will go down as One of the best, if not the best ever European Finals and come backs. There really is no more to be said on the subject
    As for trophy count since you last one the trophy that really matters, the league championship united have won

8 League Titles
    1 Champions League
    5 FA Cups
    1 League Cup
    1 European Super Cup
    1 InterContinental Cup
    1 European Cup-Winners Cup
    Do you really want to get into a slanging match about trophies and stats? Really? Here are some stats for you:

Manu
    CLUB HONOURS
    LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
    15 Times
    CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS
    15 Times
    F.A. CUP WINNERS
    11 Times
    LEAGUE CUP WINNERS
    Once

Liverpool
    CLUB HONOURS
    LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
    18 Times
    CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS
    14 Times
    F.A. CUP WINNERS
    6 Times
    LEAGUE CUP WINNERS
    7 Times

Hows that for trophies that really matter?

I have some more stats on European Trophies if you are interested in them, although I doubt you will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

redspider wrote:

If this was a boxing match, the ref may have given it 118-116 to the white corner, but in footballing terms a draw was a fair result. A win for Liverpool would have been a steal of sorts. The win for Man U was a bigger steal of sorts, not a daylight robbery of course, but Liverpool will have felt that they've had their pocket picked.

Most Man U fans should agree that had Ferdinands goal not gone in, then the after-match analysis would have been saying that a draw was a fair result.

such is football ....

redspider

If it was a boxing match the red corner would have won with a knockout blow in the dying seconds of round 12:) . But, seriously, I agree with your point. Liverpool were the more assured and functional team for the most part and Cisse let them down. However, as the game entered the last quarter they retreated and settled for the draw. 99 times out of 100 they would have got it, but I never have sympathy for any team that doesn't have the courage to push on and go for glory in the final stages of tight matches. Plus I wouldn't be sympathetic anyway being a Utd fan:D

Liverpool could have won this game late on if they had gone for the throat, but having Benitez as manager I never expected that to happen. Benitez is clearly a top performer on the managerial plane but I see this as the only obvious chink in his armour. He always lets his defensive instincts take over in the closing stages of tight games no matter how the game has mapped out and on this rare occassion payed the price. Do any Liverpool fans agree with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

jamie carraghers thoughts on garry neville:
    "I think there is a line and Neville crossed it, I've heard people say it's justified because he gets a lot of stick from the Liverpool fans, but the truth is he gets the stick because he's been doing that for years.

"That's why it all started."

i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Nunu wrote:
    However, as the game entered the last quarter they retreated and settled for the draw. 99 times out of 100 they would have got it, but I never have sympathy for any team that doesn't have the courage to push on and go for glory in the final stages of tight matches. Liverpool could have won this game late on if they had gone for the throat, but having Benitez as manager I never expected that to happen. Benitez is clearly a top performer on the managerial plane but I see this as the only obvious chink in his armour. He always lets his defensive instincts take over in the closing stages of tight games no matter how the game has mapped out and on this rare occassion payed the price. Do any Liverpool fans agree with me?

Yes, I do partially. He is definitely cautious at times, not only in the way that he structures his teams but also within games. Bringing on Kromkamp was a poor decision imo and an example of that, as are playing the likes of Sissoko, Traore, etc.

Its true that perhaps if Liverpool would have been more adventurous in the latter stages they could have taken it. But this was an away game to Man U and 1 pt was I think all that Benitez was aiming for, and perhaps to sneak a win if possible and most Liverpool fans would have been happy with that approach. To give as good as we got yet not go all out for a win at the same time. This was not a must-win game, a risk-all, as what happened at home to Chelsea and it backfired, losing 1-4. But if it was, the tactics would have been different. The plan was working out, until the goal came more or less out of nowhere.

I took another look at the goal last night. A good weighted cross in from Giggs, and well met by Ferdinand. Liverpool were playing zonal defence, sorta, as they were also marking players. Carra and Hyypia were too close together for my liking. That left Alonso on point position with Gerrard as his "behind" player. Kromkamp was marking Ferdinand and lost him as soon as the ball was kicked. Alonso, who, lets be honest here, got ripped apart for skill and pace by Rooney in the match, didnt get any pace to come and meet the ball, and Ferdinand's header was unchallenged from 10 yards. Reina did well to get a hand on it and would have had to pull off one of Shay Given's exploits to have saved it. But many of us would score from that range with an unchallenged header.

From a Liverpool perspective, a weakly defended dead-ball situation, with Carra, Hyppia both underutilised. It was a typical Man U goal of old and a typical goal that Liverpool of old would have let in. Its a pity it was at the very end as it gave Liverpool no time to come back, which they surely would have.

Benitez was angry after the whistle as he is realising that he doesnt have good enough forwards, and missed chances are costing Liverpool points. Lets see how he goes on from here. Its far from the end of the world.

redspider

Nunu wrote:
    Do any Liverpool fans agree with me?

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I agree with you. Benitez is trying to play like Chelsea, keep the opposition from scoring and frustrate the hell out of them and when they make a mistake pounce on it. The thing is Liverpool have Cisse, Crouch and Morientes not Drogba, Crespo, Lampard, Gudjohnsen....(I could probably name the whole Chelsea team as a strike force!).

Liverpool got their tactics wrong, as they did when they were beaten 4-1 by Chelsea. United were commited to a win and adapted to the game to make that happen. They deserved the win for pushing till the very end and although they were lucky not to concede I think they got the tactics spot on.

Liverpool lost fair and square, it doesn't matter if they dominated or not, the score was 1-0 and it was a class goal brought about by sheer determination and world class skill. Liverpool settled for a draw and I think thats the real reason Liverpool fans are so bitter about this defeat, although they'll direct their anger at Neville not Benitez :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

redspider wrote:
    Yes, I do partially. He is definitely cautious at times, not only in the way that he structures his teams but also within games. Bringing on Kromkamp was a poor decision imo and an example of that, as are playing the likes of Sissoko, Traore, etc.

Its true that perhaps if Liverpool would have been more adventurous in the latter stages they could have taken it. But this was an away game to Man U and 1 pt was I think all that Benitez was aiming for, and perhaps to sneak a win if possible and most Liverpool fans would have been happy with that approach. To give as good as we got yet not go all out for a win at the same time. This was not a must-win game, a risk-all, as what happened at home to Chelsea and it backfired, losing 1-4. But if it was, the tactics would have been different. The plan was working out, until the goal came more or less out of nowhere.

I took another look at the goal last night. A good weighted cross in from Giggs, and well met by Ferdinand. Liverpool were playing zonal defence, sorta, as they were also marking players. Carra and Hyypia were too close together for my liking. That left Alonso on point position with Gerrard as his "behind" player. Kromkamp was marking Ferdinand and lost him as soon as the ball was kicked. Alonso, who, lets be honest here, got ripped apart for skill and pace by Rooney in the match, didnt get any pace to come and meet the ball, and Ferdinand's header was unchallenged from 10 yards. Reina did well to get a hand on it and would have had to pull off one of Shay Given's exploits to have saved it. But many of us would score from that range with an unchallenged header.

From a Liverpool perspective, a weakly defended dead-ball situation, with Carra, Hyppia both underutilised. It was a typical Man U goal of old and a typical goal that Liverpool of old would have let in. Its a pity it was at the very end as it gave Liverpool no time to come back, which they surely would have.

Benitez was angry after the whistle as heis realising that he doesnt havent good enough forwards and missed chances are costing Liverpool points. Lets see how he goes on from here. Its far from the end of the world.

redspider
    Totally agree with everything said there. It's far from the end of the world.

On the Neville thing, it's not such a big deal. Gary has been doing it for years and will continue to do it. It's just Gary FFS, the man has passion for his club which I admire, although it's very easy to see why some people despise the ground he walks on.

• Advertisement

If I was not supporting United I'd say I would hate the guys guts, but as Hobart said he has an unreal passion.

I know if I was in the same situation I would have done the same thing,

As long as he does not do it to us in front of Hill16 IF we get Engerland in the EC ;), then there would be a riot!

yop wrote:
    As long as he does not do it to us in front of Hill16 IF we get Engerland in the EC ;), then there would be a riot!
    I'd pay good money to see him try it!
    wouldn't pay good money to see Ireland lose though, we'd have to go up the other end and score straight away.

yop wrote:
    At the risk of being pedantic, he'd want to be pretty stupid to celebrate in front of the Hill if he did score against us in a qualifier. Mainly because he'd be celebrating in front of an empty terrace.

Did I not hear that they were putting in temp seats on the hill?

Hey but this is G Neville, he would still be blonde enough to taunt a few security guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

As a United Fan i was obviously delighted with the win yesterday. 3 points from a game that should have been drawn or lost. It was all the sweeter that it was a win against liverpool with ferdinand the scorer. I promptly sent a few texts around to my liverpool mates. They'd be worried about me if i didnt slag them off and i'd expect the same treatment if liverpool had won. I'd agree with the lads about the tactics and although Liverpool passed the ball better i think United's atitude was better. The difference in the teams in the last 20 minutes was like the difference between watching liverpool v man u 5 or 6 years back. Ferdinand,Brown,Giggsy and Rooney were all excellent. I thought Gerrard committed foul after foul and should have been sent walking for the tackle on Evra in which he nearly broke his leg. He didnt even get booked for it. I like Gerrard as a player but think he's frustrated playing wide right. Liverpool need that right winger badly.Although i think United need 2 quality midfield players even more.

Regarding Gary Neville i thought he might have stepped over the line a bit with the celebration. I admire his passion and think United need more of that atitude but his gestures were fairly aggressive and the last thing thats needed in manchester on a Sunday evening is load of blood thirsty scousers (& manc's) running around the city knocking the sh*t out of each other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

iregk wrote:
    Me personally I have to agree with Andy Gray, Jamie Redknapp, Chris Kamarra, Martin Tyler, Frank Rijkard, Ronaldinho and Johann Cruijff and say that I would take Frank Lampard over Stevie G every single day of the week.

You're more than entitled to your opinion but many of them are not worth listening to,
    so many people who were footballers and are now pundits talk alot of crap.
    Which french god of football said to David moores or rick parry at half time in istanbul that "this will be an exersize in damage limitation for your team" - some tosser anyway.
    plenty of pundits have said the opposite, and said Stevie G has far more to offer. So aggreeing with these people in no way makes you correct or your judgement better.
    Andy gray of all people.
    tell me other than goals what is it that lampard does that gerrard doesn't do more of, and with more quality?

The funniest thing about the Gary Neville incident was the fact that it took him ages to find the Utd. crest on his jersey. :D I thought that was hilarious.

Everytime he went to grab it he kept grabbing his chest hair, that is why he kept shouting and roaring ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

mayordenis wrote:
    You're more than entitled to your opinion but many of them are not worth listening to,
    so many people who were footballers and are now pundits talk alot of crap.
    Which french god of football said to David moores or rick parry at half time in istanbul that "this will be an exersize in damage limitation for your team" - some tosser anyway.
    plenty of pundits have said the opposite, and said Stevie G has far more to offer. So aggreeing with these people in no way makes you correct or your judgement better.
    Andy gray of all people.
    tell me other than goals what is it that lampard does that gerrard doesn't do more of, and with more quality?

I have to agree. If Gerrard was playing in that Chelsea team he would probably be regarded as the best all round player on the planet. Hypothetically(because it's never going to happen), if Utd were offered Lampard for €25 million or Gerrard for €40 million, I'd go for Gerrard in the blink of an eye. I think that little bit more that Gerrard has is worth it's wait in gold and would be worth that €15 million extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Gegerty wrote:
    United were commited to a win and adapted to the game to make that happen.
    They deserved the win for pushing till the very end and although they were lucky not to concede I think they got the tactics spot on.
    Liverpool settled for a draw and I think thats the real reason Liverpool fans are so bitter about this defeat, although they'll direct their anger at Neville not Benitez

Both teams were trying to win, no doubt about that, but not at all costs. This was exemplified by what happened on the pitch, but also by Quieroz's comments after the match when he said the game plan was not to concede any goals. Man U did just that, but alas Liverpool didnt - but it was only a"rub of the green" difference in what was a very tight match that gave Man U all 3 pts.

There was very little between the teams, Liverpool had the most chances, so no neutral would determine that Man U deserved to win the game. A draw was the fairest result. But, thats football. Liverpool will get the break some other time, maybe not this season, but sometime.

I dont think Liverpool fans are bitter. I know I'm not. I think its a good sign that Benitez is simmering as that should be good news in terms of fixing the Liverpool attack for the long-term and in the short-term for motivating the players to go on from here.

Man U may have won a battle, but lets see who wins the 2nd place war.

As for Neville, he just showed his immaturity yesterday. The thing about Neville is that in the past he has been a mouth in the media especially against Liverpool. Maybe on this occasion, he went overboard. At least the Manchester police think so from current news reports, although they perhaps are City fans!

By the way, another point I noticed when watching the replays last night was the incident between Cisse and van der Saar just before Ferdinand cleared it off the line. It was really a penalty. Van der Saar came for the ball, but his diving tackle didnt even touch the ball and he clobbered Cisse. There was no claim I expect as the ball nearly went in, but from the camera angles I've seen it was a blatant foul and a penalty. What do Man U fans think of that one? Good quick thinking by Finnan by the way from the throw that led to it even though Sissoko's cross was more of hope than accuracy.

Rooney was immense I thought. He was all over the place and really up for it, not silly, but in control and with pace. Giggs for me did a solid role in midfield and dare I say better than Smith. Evra was also useful and better than Richardson has been at left back. Richardson was very good on the left and between them Liverpool's right side was ineffective, as in Gerrard and Finnan.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pffffft! I've gone all day without thinking about yesterdays game.

Get a life! :)

Mike.

redspider wrote:
    I dont think Liverpool fans are bitter. I know I'm not.
    redspider wrote:
    By the way, another point I noticed when watching the replays last night was the incident between Cisse and van der Saar just before Ferdinand cleared it off the line. It was really a penalty. Van der Saar came for the ball, but his diving tackle didnt even touch the ball and he clobbered Cisse. There was no claim I expect as the ball nearly went in, but from the camera angles I've seen it was a blatant foul and a penalty. What do Man U fans think of that one?

:D

Seriously though you have a point there. Most likely the ref played advantage. I'm sure just like the rest of the world he was certain it was going in the net. You can't play advantage and then take it back when you boot it over the bar. If he'd blown the whistle then Ferdinand wouldn't have bothered clearing it and there'd be a whole lotta "arrr ehhh ref ya divvie" going on :p

Anyway there was a lot Liverpool got away with. Gerrard got away with a yellow card in the first half for at least 4 or 5 blatant hacks. He should have been off in the second half.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I was waiting for the bitter Man U fans to delve back into the history books. Liverpool are historically a better team than United. That's it really and it hasn't even been a season since Liverpool won the only tropht that really matters matey, European cup, the most prestigious club competition in the world. That's the one of the unfortunate things about some Man U fans, once the FA cup was a nothing competition that United pulled out of, then it was "the best cup competition in the world" the Carling Cup was the worthnothing cup when liverpool won it but for some unted fans it is now "at least its silverware". The reason that some United fans are in denial about the decline of the club is that they keep on moving the goalposts.
    Personally I'm surprised it took so long to get going, this thread has had a lot of angry Liverpool fans lashing out following the result.

It's quite entertaining to watch, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not angry just miffed at the last minute lapse.

Its worth reminding Pool fans just what we were hoping for last August. Basicly we wanted to see progress with a respectable Top 4 finnish (ie not 15 points behind 3rd place) and a decent cup run. As things stand the team are still well placed for second while the notion of retaining the European Cup does'nt seem too mad to me.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gegerty wrote:
    :D

Anyway there was a lot Liverpool got away with. Gerrard got away with a yellow card in the first half for at least 4 or 5 blatant hacks. He should have been off in the second half.

yea, sent off with a minute to go then, doubt it would of made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Personally I'm surprised it took so long to get going, this thread has had a lot of angry Liverpool fans lashing out following the result.

It's quite entertaining to watch, mind.

i dont think many people were lashing out about the result.

i reckon the time united scored, who scored and neville pulling his chest hair off kinda pissed a few people off, but if anything i feel more assured after the match that liverpool are in better shape than 12 months ago

liverpool fans should be happy imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

el rabitos wrote:
    i dont think many people were lashing out about the result.

i reckon the time united scored, who scored and neville pulling his chest hair off kinda pissed a few people off, but if anything i feel more assured after the match that liverpool are in better shape than 12 months ago

liverpool fans should be happy imo

I would not be comparing yesterdays game with last years as an indication of improvement for Liverpool. Uniteds midfield yesterday of Fletcher O Shea Giggs and Richardson is a lot weaker than the one we had last season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He wasn't. He was comparing Liverpool in general.

Utd have taken 2 big scalps at home this season, yet failed to beat many of the teams who were weaker on paper.

Reminds me of Liverpool circa 1995-2003. When we were a team in recession. Oh...

PiE wrote:

Utd have taken 2 big scalps at home this season, yet failed to beat many of the teams who were weaker on paper.

Reminds me of Liverpool circa 1995-2003. When we were a team in recession. Oh...
    Yeah, I'm delighted with the health of Liverpool at the moment. Manager is excellent, youth setup is sounding pretty good at the moment and the squad is heaps better then 12 months ago.

Compare to United who haven't actually won anything significant for quite some time, out of Europe, have an ageing (past it?) manager and profits are down against a backdrop of apparently needing to aggresively increase profits on account of oweing half the club to itself? or some funky accounting thing...

Anyway, on the day United put the ball in the net and fully deserved the victory for that reason alone. We can blame Cisse for us not winning (ridiculous misses) or we can blame Rafa for us not drawing (ridiculous subsitution) but there'll always be next season to try again.

Despite having a fairly weak defensive structure and midfield United are capable of being plucky against the bigger opposition. Much like, as PiE points out, the Liverpool of the 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lol my first post on this one and the pool fans still havent let it rest. We still had profits of 46 million, compare that to any other premiership club if you will. We where only down 12 million compared to last year and most of that is because we got knocked out of the champos league.
    It's ok, we just beat a team that hasnt lost in their past 12 games with our reserve squad(well midfield) and our left backs 2nd game in the premiership. But no no no not well done lads, We are in decline and no matter what we do this season, Liverpool will allways be better and are the team on the up. I might aswell stop following United so.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PiE wrote:

Would have thought 1995-late 2005 would be more accurate.

United aren't the force they were in the late 90s/early 00s but comparing them to the Liverpool side of the 90s is off. Over the past 5 years United have consistently managed to get 75+ points - this season they are on course for 79 points which typically results in second place.

They've dropped off a bit but that's hardly surprising considering they've effectively got to replace their entire midfield. Their profits may have dropped but how does their income compare to their rivals I wonder? Pretty well I'd wager. They've got good young defenders and great forward options. Liverpool need a strike force. Man United need a centre midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I would think they'd need wingers also, Giggs still has a fantastic cross but hasn't the legs anymore and Ronaldo, well no Giggs/Beckham and I doubt he ever will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

did anyone else notice Cisse for that amazing miss?

He is on the ground feining injury in agony and as soon as the ball comes back across low and behold the injury miraculously heals itself as he springs to life to take a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RasTa wrote:
    Lol my first post on this one and the pool fans still havent let it rest. We still had profits of 46 million, compare that to any other premiership club if you will. We where only down 12 million compared to last year and most of that is because we got knocked out of the champos league.

Not to be petty but those figures were last year's figures and this year's Champions League exit won't be felt until next year on the balance sheet. And it will hit hard seeing as United failed to make the lucrative knock-out stages. Couple this with the fact that the club's new owner has to service a massive £540million debt that he borrowed against the club's assets and United's financial future is far from assured.

Also, at this stage of the season, Manchester United would gladly swap the position they are in for Liverpools.

iregk wrote:
    did anyone else notice Cisse for that amazing miss?

He is on the ground feining injury in agony and as soon as the ball comes back across low and behold the injury miraculously heals itself as he springs to life to take a shot.

That makes it all the more sweeter :D If he got to his feet he would of buried it....well actually maybe not it is Cisse after all :p

• Advertisement

Also, at this stage of the season, Manchester United would gladly swap the position they are in for Liverpools.

Never. Eurpoean champions ok yea but as for challenging Chelsea I think united are showing the greater potential. Ferguson's been given the go ahead to get the players he wants in the summer and with a decent midfield united will be lethal (He never would have gotten the money if we were still a plc by the way). We're not doing too badly right now and our midfield is a complete joke and we're only just getting our defence sorted now too. Imagine what Ferguson could do with a strong squad, well you don't need to imagine we've all seen it. It's too soon to tell but this could well be as good as it gets for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

imo united are playing better this year than last season. at the start of season we were putting together some good runs and even coming up to christmas. but a lot of things have taken their toll this season.

keane leaving - unexpected departure of our captain.

henize injured - has become a huge player for us.

rooney's ban in europe - his own fault and a huge blow for us in the european games.

gary nevilles injury - i know everybody hates him, but he does improve our defence imo.

scholes - slow start to the season and recent injury.

giggs - has missed large chunks of this season through injury (hammy, cheekbone)

considering the above i would be more than happy with second place this year. however settling for second place just isnt good enough. we need a huge improvement next season and we have got off to a good start with evra and vidic. imo our defence is strong enough now we have these signings.

our goalkeeping situation is solved for another season or two. midfield needs to be the focus in the summer. if we can make the right signings in the summer there is no reason why we cant match liverpool and arsenal next year.

in terms of matching chelsea, only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gegerty wrote:
    Never. Eurpoean champions ok yea but as for challenging Chelsea I think united are showing the greater potential. Ferguson's been given the go ahead to get the players he wants in the summer and with a decent midfield united will be lethal (He never would have gotten the money if we were still a plc by the way). We're not doing too badly right now and our midfield is a complete joke and we're only just getting our defence sorted now too. Imagine what Ferguson could do with a strong squad, well you don't need to imagine we've all seen it. It's too soon to tell but this could well be as good as it gets for Liverpool.

Of course they would. Liverpool are still in the Champions League with a very real chance of progressing further while United didn't even have the comfort of a UEFA Cup place. Neither side will challenge Chelsea this season and so will have to settle for a Champions League spot. The only thing that United have over Liverpool is a Carling Cup semi-final which, as you lot never tire of telling all and sundry, isn't worth a piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

if we can make the right signings in the summer there is no reason why we cant match liverpool and arsenal next year.

I totally agree with the rest of your post but I don't understand where you are coming from with this line. If you are suggesting that the current United Team are not a match for Arsenal and Liverpool then I don't agree and what's more to the point the league table does not indicate that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The Muppet wrote:
    I totally agree with the rest of your post but I don't understand where you are coming from with this line. If you are suggesting that the current United Team are not a match for Arsenal and Liverpool then I don't agree and what's more to the point the league table does not indicate that either.

Agreed, the league table shows that United are a match for liverpool and are far better than Arsenal. Unfortunately how the league table stands now is hardly conclusive, end of the season we will have a better idea of both liverpools improvement and how far united really have fallen. Having said that, now that United are 'concentrating on the league' the reduced strain matchwise and travel etc taken into account should leave them with the easier of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement