Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big One match thread (before/during/after)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Agreed, the league table shows that United are a match for liverpool and are far better than Arsenal. Unfortunately how the league table stands now is hardly conclusive, end of the season we will have a better idea of both liverpools improvement and how far united really have fallen. Having said that, now that United are 'concentrating on the league' the reduced strain matchwise and travel etc taken into account should leave them with the easier of it.

Agreed , TBH it was the mention of Arsenal that I would disagree with most. LIverpool have definitely closed the gap on United and argueably may have overtaken them this season. As you say the table at the end of season will tell the truth as it always does..

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Just back... Terrible game, great atmosphere at the end. A few of those inflatable cups seemed to go missing after Rio stuck the ball in the net.

United are truely brutal at midfield. The only player that played decent was Giggs and he only started playing 20 minutes from the end when he ran at Liverpool. It is a big problem, and I can see it losing us a couple of games before the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

my bad,

i wasnt trying to say we were not a match this year. im was talking in relation to the "change in powers" which will be even greater next year apparently. taking into account the above injuries and such we are a match for the pool this year. i do feel we will get second place this year.

as a united fan it kills me to say, hats off to liverpool. they have improved a great deal and are genuine ccontenders for the title in the future. however liverpool fans have to admit, both united and liverpool are a long way off chelsea.

while we are arguing over whos in decline chelsea are pulling further and further away. united and liverpool both need a huge improvement next year. and what i was saying above is that with the signings united have and will make, theres no reason to suggest liverpool are going to pull away from united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Speculation on future signings will do nothing either, a good team will build form he back or crumble as Real have. If you look at liverpool now, they have a defence who play as a unit, move forward as one and all know each other well. Finnan is playing excellently, Sami is his usual self, Mr Reliable, nopt the pace anymore but reminds me of Paul McGrath can read a game as well as anybody in the prem. Carragher is on a different level altogether, he can tackle, run, read a game, and play the ball well. Our left back spot is not too badly covered either with Riise and Warnock competing for the spot.

Uniteds defence just looks creaky at the moment, and that is why they are losing games, as was said already, if liverpool had a strikeforce worth their salt that game could have been over as a contest in the first half. What united do have and is really the only thing going for them, is a strkeforce up there with the best. Rooney is a rare talent, not the best I have ever seen at his age but certainly has bags of potential. RvN is just a machine and while I do not think he will get the top prm scorer this season, I think between him and rooney they will outscore any other pair in the prem.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Speculation on future signings will do nothing either, a good team will build form he back or crumble as Real have. If you look at liverpool now, they have a defence who play as a unit, move forward as one and all know each other well. Finnan is playing excellently, Sami is his usual self, Mr Reliable, nopt the pace anymore but reminds me of Paul McGrath can read a game as well as anybody in the prem. Carragher is on a different level altogether, he can tackle, run, read a game, and play the ball well. Our left back spot is not too badly covered either with Riise and Warnock competing for the spot.

Uniteds defence just looks creaky at the moment, and that is why they are losing games, as was said already, if liverpool had a strikeforce worth their salt that game could have been over as a contest in the first half. What united do have and is really the only thing going for them, is a strkeforce up there with the best. Rooney is a rare talent, not the best I have ever seen at his age but certainly has bags of potential. RvN is just a machine and while I do not think he will get the top prm scorer this season, I think between him and rooney they will outscore any other pair in the prem.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

i think united have a young back line that has potential. next year it should be,

neville ferdinand brown/vidic heinze

ferdinand has been playing well of late and as has brown. great defences play together week in week out. there has been too many chopping and changing in uniteds back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

scholes - slow start to the season and recent injury.
    Just heard on BBC that he's out for the rest of the season with his "eye condition".

I wonder if his career is in doubt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

United defence should improve with the signing of Vidic + return of Heinze, Evra looks almost like Silvestres son!

Midfield is in dire need of surgery, IF Scholes is in bother with his sight then his experience will be a massive loss, Giggs has lost pace so cannot expect too much, Ronaldo we can give him the benefit of the doubt with the issues in his life at the moment, but if he does not do it next year should be shipped.

Fletcher and JOS should try Popstars.

On the young lads coming through, I do think we have 3 with excellent potential, Jones, Marcus Neumayr(the german Beckham) and Lee Martin.
    Maybe Chris Eagles, Gerard Pique & Spector may make it.

Up front RVN is top scorer, but yet is deemed to be not up to it or past it, cannot figure that one out.
    Rooney, looks a class act, he is still young so cud be great or fall at the fence.
    Rossi - I expect a lot from this guy.
    Saha - Transfered out a end of season
    Sylvan Ebanks-Blake could also be one to watch.

On Liverpool, I think Reina is going to be around for a long time,
    Hyppia is slowing down but exp wise is good, Carra is one of the best in England without doubt, hard to know about Finnan, playing well this season.

The midfield with Gerard, Alonso and Hamman are very strong. Kewell & Garcia I don't think will win ye a PL.

Up front I think ye really have problems, not 1 striker in the top 15 top scorers. Only 24 goals between for a spending of maybe 30 million has to be a concern

But hey i see ye have a United reject on yer books, he might get some goals ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

whiskeyman wrote:
    Just heard on BBC that he's out for the rest of the season with his "eye condition".

I wonder if his career is in doubt.

really bad news for united,and really tricky to get cover for him,united have to spend but with so little time left in the transfer window and all the top midfielders in champ league action,who will they get??this is worrying to say the least:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Neither side will challenge Chelsea this season and so will have to settle for a Champions League spot. The only thing that United have over Liverpool is a Carling Cup semi-final which, as you lot never tire of telling all and sundry, isn't worth a piss.

I meant challenge Chelsea in the years to come, not this season. I doubt even next season but who knows, Chelsea can look shaky from time to time and as Arsenal have learnt 1 game can change everything.

Carling cup still isn't a serious cup to united fans, it's only Liverpool fans that are saying its worth something to united. Having said that, there's a lot of young players that need the taste of victory and if united can win the carling cup the credit will be given to our reserve players like Rossi, Pique, Bardsley etc Its all about growing confidence but It's still not a serious cup imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

county wrote:
    really bad news for united,and really tricky to get cover for him,united have to spend but with so little time left in the transfer window and all the top midfielders in champ league action,who will they get??this is worrying to say the least:(

Morton Gamst-Pedersen would be a good replacement, Blackburn may not be willing to talk business though.

Morton Gamst-Pedersen would be a good replacement, Blackburn may not be willing to talk business though.
    i think it has to be a short term stop gap,too late in the season to buy real quailty,i agree with you that blackburn would be unwilling to do business,but if united made an offer i think mgp would go like a shot

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We could always turn Silvestre into an attacking midfielder cause he ain't a defender ;)

yop wrote:
    We could always turn Silvestre into an attacking midfielder cause he ain't a defender ;)
    oh so true,i have never had conifdence in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Mr Gary Neville, 30, is wanted by police in connection with a serious incident near Manchester's Trafford DevilBowl on Sunday afternoon. Neville was caught on CCTV committing the recently outlawed activity of displaying passion during a football match. His conduct was an affront to the mature sensibilities of enlightened, right-thinking persons who had endeavoured to build bridges between the cities of Manchester and Liverpool during the game by singing hymns such as: "Are you watching Georgie Best?" and "Who's that dying on the runway?" Police would also like to question Mr Neville in connection with the suspicious death of a whale in the London area.

Mr Neville is of average height and appearance and is distinctive only through whispy facial b*mfluff and an extremely irritating voice. He should not be approached under any circumstances, especially in tunnels in the Highbury district of London when a Mr Royston Keane is in the vicinity. When found guilty, Neville will be put in front a firing squad consisting of Djibril Cisse and a tall man resembling "Timmah!" from South Park - his prospects of survival are rated "very good".

Gissagong FC defender Sir James Carragher CBE has fully endorsed the manhunt. "There is a line and Neville crossed it," opined the calm, rational figure that famously threw a coin at Highbury spectators in 2002 and held five fingers up to Rowdies supporters after the two sides drew 0-0 in September. "I've heard people say it's justified because he gets a lot of stick from the Gissagong fans, but he gets the stick because he's been doing that for years," Sir Jamie continued before possibly concluding: "Look at me when I banged in two at the wrong end for United against Liverpool in 1999: I didn't celebrate then, did I eh? Eh? Eh?"

FBI sources have confirmed that Hollywood star Keanu Reeves is being questioned over allegations that he has incited every single gun-related crime since filming The Matrix in 1999. But reports that a black armband-endorsed minute's silence will be held for a dead whale before Gissagong FC's next home game are as yet unconfirmed.

I just didn't have the patience to read through all 900 pages this thread, some of what I did read though was laughable and proved that there really are some idiot Liverpool fans out there and a dolloping of Man United fans out there. And Mayordennis, what I read of your contribution really showed your age...(you are 14 aren't you?)..:D....It was a fairly decent game I felt, Liverpool looked a lot more organised and can certainly walk away from the game with their heads high (if that's possible)...a lot of frailties were shown in the United side but at least they showed the spirit and passion they'd been lacking recently (the same qualities that won Liverpool their prized possesion last season) to battle on and win at the death.

It's only the battle won for united, the war is still ongoing.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dont think Mayordenis will react to this fade as he was banned from the soccer forun today. He is in the feedback forum moaning about the mods again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:
    Dont think Mayordenis will react to this fade as he was banned from the soccer forun today. He is in the feedback forum moaning about the mods again.

Thats gas, thank god some people have a sense of humour!

Go on the Neviller!

http://x4.putfile.com/1/2112421596.gif (1.6 MB) :cool:

I think the Liverpool fans moaning about it should cop on. You never had any United fans complaining about their little blow up trophies/5's. Grow up lads. Nothing wrong with a player showing passion for his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Don't really care about him showing his passion, but his antics just screamed of "LOOK AT ME FANS; I REALLY AM A LEADER AND A WORTHY SUCCESSOR TO KEANE, NO REALLY LOOK I SWEAR I AM!"

I disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Neville was at United before Keano, and is there after him. He is United through and through and united fans love him. He is hated by everyone else, which makes us love him even more.

If you asked Neville was he a worthy successor to Keano, he'd laugh at you, because he knows he isn't. You think he needs to act in a certain way to get most United fans to like him?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Then you're wrong.

I disagree with PiE yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PiE wrote:
    Don't really care about him showing his passion, but his antics just screamed of "LOOK AT ME FANS; I REALLY AM A LEADER AND A WORTHY SUCCESSOR TO KEANE, NO REALLY LOOK I SWEAR I AM!"
    LOL, I doubt that was what was going through his head to be honest. He obviously just wanted to go celebrate with the passionate people in the crowd, bit of a silly thing to do though.

fade2black wrote:
    Mr Gary Neville, 30, is wanted by police in connection with a serious incident near Manchester's Trafford DevilBowl on Sunday afternoon. Neville was caught on CCTV committing the recently outlawed activity of displaying passion during a football match. His conduct was an affront to the mature sensibilities of enlightened, right-thinking persons who had endeavoured to build bridges between the cities of Manchester and Liverpool during the game by singing hymns such as: "Are you watching Georgie Best?" and "Who's that dying on the runway?" Police would also like to question Mr Neville in connection with the suspicious death of a whale in the London area.

Mr Neville is of average height and appearance and is distinctive only through whispy facial b*mfluff and an extremely irritating voice. He should not be approached under any circumstances, especially in tunnels in the Highbury district of London when a Mr Royston Keane is in the vicinity. When found guilty, Neville will be put in front a firing squad consisting of Djibril Cisse and a tall man resembling "Timmah!" from South Park - his prospects of survival are rated "very good".

Gissagong FC defender Sir James Carragher CBE has fully endorsed the manhunt. "There is a line and Neville crossed it," opined the calm, rational figure that famously threw a coin at Highbury spectators in 2002 and held five fingers up to Rowdies supporters after the two sides drew 0-0 in September. "I've heard people say it's justified because he gets a lot of stick from the Gissagong fans, but he gets the stick because he's been doing that for years," Sir Jamie continued before possibly concluding: "Look at me when I banged in two at the wrong end for United against Liverpool in 1999: I didn't celebrate then, did I eh? Eh? Eh?"

FBI sources have confirmed that Hollywood star Keanu Reeves is being questioned over allegations that he has incited every single gun-related crime since filming The Matrix in 1999. But reports that a black armband-endorsed minute's silence will be held for a dead whale before Gissagong FC's next home game are as yet unconfirmed.

I just didn't have the patience to read through all 900 pages this thread, some of what I did read though was laughable and proved that there really are some idiot Liverpool fans out there and a dolloping of Man United fans out there. And Mayordennis, what I read of your contribution really showed your age...(you are 14 aren't you?)..:D....It was a fairly decent game I felt, Liverpool looked a lot more organised and can certainly walk away from the game with their heads high (if that's possible)...a lot of frailties were shown in the United side but at least they showed the spirit and passion they'd been lacking recently (the same qualities that won Liverpool their prized possesion last season) to battle on and win at the death.

It's only the battle won for united, the war is still ongoing.

class,keep up the good work:D

fade2black wrote:
    Then you're wrong.
    Impossible.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote:
    Impossible.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Everybody loves Gary. He's the captain of Manu and each player on the team aspires to be just like him. He is also highly respected by each and every true lover of football.*

*The above statement may contain some items that stretch the boundries of truth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement