Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

weird phone problem - possibly barred

• 22-01-2006 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've got a second hand phone and i think it may be barred but am not sure because it works some of the time.

Long story short, bought the phone off a legit guy, used to be a company phone but when i tried to use (call and text from the web) with a backup sim it it didn't get the texts and just gave me a weird 3 beep tone that led me to think "crap tis barred".

Tried a couple of different sims but nothing, then tried a german sim and it worked. So i figured , "definitely barred on irish networks" but when i put back in my backup sim the phone received my texts from the day before. So i tried calling from it and it worked perfectly.

Was chuffed and figured the phone was working, so went home but when i got there it was back to the 3 beeps and no texts. Now this morning i'm driving through town and it starts working again, but stopped after a couple of hours.

Is this normal behaviour for a barred phone, or could it be that it's not barred but the aerial is frigged :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hoursey

it could be the antenna of the phone or a software problem, what phone is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Now this morning i'm driving through town and it starts working again, but stopped after a couple of hours.

When you say it started working again this morning, had you switched off the phone and switched it back on again???

Sounds very like a barred phone to me. Best thing is ring the network and they will tell you fairly quick, but sounds like a barred phone. Sometimes a barred phone might make 1 call or possibly 2 when you switch it on, bbut once the network sees it back online, it will block service to it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sorry for the lack of reply, was unable to access boards last week.

It is a weird problem. When i turned on the phone in the morning (in my house) it didn't work but I left it turned on and put it in my car intending to bring it to a phone shop. Then as i was driving along, a couple of hours later, it started working.

I'm figuring it's barred though and was maybe just going out of range of one phone mast and into another. will just get my money back

Thanks for the help though

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is it a 3G phone by any chance, with a meteor sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

no, just a normal mobile, using an o2 sim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

From what you say it sounds like it's blocked ... your best bet would be to ring your network and check. They should be able to tell you if it's blacklisted.

Advertisement