Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda whats so Funny

Options
  • 22-01-2006 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

hi All just wondering Why the hell people still laugh if you have a Skoda Im talking bout those Little Micra Muppits they tend to look at a Skoda Fabia & laugh.
    Even if the car can out proform there little 1.0 Lts I know in the past Skoda had a bad Name Come on its 2006 & Skoda have inproved with Cars that are Good to drive pritty fast & Look better then a Crappy little 99 Micra for Exsample the Skoda fabia 02 has a 1.4Lt & its a VW Polo Or Golf type engin or something like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Do people still laugh? Do skoda owners care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

it don't see anything to laugh about these days from skoda i quite like the
    'Superb' myself & i passed my test in an Octavia.
    now i can understand why people could laugh at the 'Rapid';)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Who laughed at your Fabia....obviously some very ill-informed boy racers as anyway with any interest in cars would know that Skodas are excellent these days & the Fabia with a nice set of alloys is a lovely looking little car.....far prettier than a Micra anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

mondeoman wrote:
    now i can understand why people could laugh at the 'Rapid';)
    You can? Is there something wrong with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't knock the Rapid - rear wheel drive, rear engine monster! Nearest thing you could get to a 911 without breaking the bank.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Dunno what anyone driving a Micra has to laugh about a Skoda.

Fabia VRS - anyone heard of it?

Boy racer and Nissan Micra shouldn't even be in the same sentence, to race means to go fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Fabia's 68 bhp isn't exactly set the road on fire, but i take your point,
    there's nothing worse than oiks in souped up Micras

colm_mcm wrote:
    the Fabia's 68 bhp

Fabia VRS?

You're having a laugh aren't ya?

130bhp in a car that size... yes please!! Clarkson whipped one around the track.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=145&i=8014

they're not laughing at the VRS. they're laughing at his '02 1.4 model.

like for like, a 1.3 micra will have 75bhp.

No, the thread is about laughing at Skodas and I think they have more than proved themselves in the performance stakes company to ironically, Nissan for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

I personaly Love skoda there A good motor that works & Not such a slow Little Car is the Fabia. I Drive the Octavia Me self but I did Drive a Fabia before it & I can safely say Little boy Racer's don't understand that a Fabia could Take out there Little Micra go Skoda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

the only Downfall is the Resale Value of the Fabia they are a Good motor but Like the punto the Value Drops a lot quicker then a Polo Or Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Maybe they are seeing their own reflection in your shiny paint work and laughing before they realise they are laughing at their own reflection?

yeah but how many VRS (or even TDI) Fabias are there in Ireland compared to the amount of 3 cylinder 1.2 or stone age technology 1.4 Fabias.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

why would you care what a micra ricer thinks in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

They may not be a "drivers car" as such, but Skoda are highly recommended and very reliable. There's nothing to laugh at anymore!!

If you want a no-nonsense motor at a good price that gets you from A to B safely and reliably, go for a Skoda :cool:

an unusually pro-skoda post!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    an unusually pro-skoda post!

Nope. Do a wee search and you'll find a lot of people recommending Skodas here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

weemcd wrote:
    why would you care what a micra ricer thinks in the first place?

Exactly, they probably wouldnt know a good car if it backed over them while flashing lights.

Skoda has developed a lot these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Skovwdi

Thats what those cars should be called as Skoda VW and Audi share alot of parts.

The gf parents got a 06 Octavia and i want one, its great and so better than the Golf imo and interior fit is spot on and performance is not going to blow you over but the drive is great. Love Skoda love yourself ;)

If you want performance and drive get the Fabia VRS its a rocket, loads of pull that would embrassis some red hot hatches out there.

• Advertisement

kluivert wrote:
    Skovwdi
    its great and so better than the Golf imo and interior fit is spot on

The only thing an Octavia has over a Golf is possibly more room and a cheaper price tag.

Don't get too carried away at the same time now.

BB

Same engine same, chassis as the Golf. Has the nose of the old Passat and the rear end of an Audi. Please...

The Octavia has more room, more equipment and a cheaper price tag.

Ask an taxi man for his or her opinion.

Your just extra paying for the badge....Now where was that picture of the mugs.

kluivert wrote:
    BB

Same engine same, chassis as the Golf. Has the nose of the old Passat and the rear end of an Audi. Please...

Ask an taxi man for his or her opinion.

Listen, I've owned a brand spanking new Audi and there's about as much in common with one and a Skoda as there is between Michael McDowell and Martin Cahill.

Back to the Golf, the interior is completely different, you can literally see the difference in the quality of the materials used. That said, as I earlier agreed, they are a great car for what you pay.

And the day I rely on a taxi driver for his opinion is the day I'll buy a Nissan Micra which started the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Big Balls wrote:
    Listen, I've owned a brand spanking new Audi and there's about as much in common with one and a Skoda as there is between Michael McDowell and Martin Cahill.

Apart from the door handles, light switches, indicator stalks, trip computer.........

I never said they where the same, i said they share common parts.

Your still paying for the Badge though.

Ok that the new Toyota Agyo... Citreon and Peugot have the exact same car with a few minor cosmetic changes... same car though.

Same story with Audi Skoda and VW.

You ask any motoring journalist to give there opinion on the Audi A3 1.9 TDi and the Golf 1.9 TDi, same car expect Golf is cheaper and better value for money.

Ok the Audi will not depreciate as much as the Golf, thats because people buy for the Badge.

Skoda rules in this three some and it shows in there financial performance against there partners Audi and VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Big Balls wrote:

Back to the Golf, the interior is completely different, you can literally see the difference in the quality of the materials used. That said, as I earlier agreed, they are a great car for what you pay.

And the day I rely on a taxi driver for his opinion is the day I'll buy a Nissan Micra which started the thread.
    Sorry Mr Big Balls, I beg to differ here, having owned a Mk 5 Golf 1.4 Base and 2 Mk2 Skoda Octavias one was the Ambiente model and my current car is the elegance model. There is absolutely no difference in the interiors of the base model Golf and the Ambiente version of the Octavia.
    The only difference I could find between them is the damped action of the grab handles.
    The elegance model is a much nicer package than the base Golf but I understand its not comparing like with like. So don't be fooling yourself into thinking your Golf is someway superior, they all share parts from the same bin.

Big Balls wrote:

The octavia elegance practically shares the entire center console with the 06 Passat (Radio, climate control etc), which incidently is far better designed and easier to use the the dated one used in the present A4! The quality of fabric in the Skoda is as good as the Audi. Really, you can play spot the audi bit if you are sitting in traffic lights in an Octavia! :)

I believe Skoda's statistic is that they rob 60% of parts from the VAG warehouse, but I stand to be corrected.

If you want to loose the least amount possible on a car do not buy an audi, look at loosing 5-6k a year on an A4, not sure about an A3, but I doubt if they hold their value as well as the golf. I dont know about the Octavia, they seem to hold their value ok though: they used be poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Wasn't there a thread on here a while ago showing Skoda concepts (a soft-roader from memory that I definitely would have bought)?

Was on a work jolly, er, trip, in the South of France last year and was driven round in a black 2.5 diesel Superb and it was, well, Superb. Beautifully made and huge inside with all the toys (DVD's in headrests etc, don't know if that's a factory option). They're so expensive here (the Superb), and the residuals are sh!te...

In comparision to say Hyundai or most of that badly designed Korean crap they are amazing, nothing to laugh at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

kluivert wrote:
    BB

The nose may look similar to the old passat but the nose of the old passat it ain't. The old passat had a longditudinally mounted engine and the octavia has a transversely mounted engine. The front end of the passat needs to be longer with the engine essentially lengthways out in front of the front wheels. The front end of the octavia is all golf. Come to think of it, I dont see why the rear end would be anything other than jetta either.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:
    The front end of the octavia is all golf.

I would think so, you get the impression because lights the Octy are *very* similar (almost identical) to the previous passat.

I think the rear end is all Bora though, but with fancy rear lights! The Octavia Combi is an interesting looking car though. It is *exactly* the same length as the hatch, and the slope on the rear window gives it the profile of a c-class. I am half tempted by one, even though I have no use for an estate!

Advertisement