Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda whats so Funny

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Have a look here all who hail the mighty Skoda..

This is the flagship Octy at the moment. Fantastic car, 37k for a new one.

interior.jpg

Now are you all really trying to tell me you can't see the difference between the plastics in this and this A4 (not to mention the type of leather used!) - both cars are sport models. If you can't you should all head to Specsavers.

interior_017.jpg

As for how you pay for the badge, do Skoda do an A3 esque model? No! Maybe I don't like the Golf in anything but GTI trim.. who knows! But don't always assume people are buying cars purely to say look I drive an Audi. Keep that stereotype for the BMW brigade who own a 1992 316i and think it's an M3.

In simple terms, yes they share a lot of parts, no they are not identical cars to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

maidhc wrote:
    I would think so, you get the impression because lights the Octy are *very* similar (almost identical) to the previous passat.

I think the rear end is all Bora though, but with fancy rear lights! The Octavia Combi is an interesting looking car though. It is *exactly* the same length as the hatch, and the slope on the rear window gives it the profile of a c-class. I am half tempted by one, even though I have no use for an estate!

The rear end of the Mk1 is bora but the MK11 is jetta, being on the new platform and all that. I know what you mean about the combi and the c class too. I think that's a play for the european taxi market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I dont think that anyone is saying that they are identical just similiar.

Obvious the main difference is the materials used, Audi use more expensive materials and this is why they re more expensive.

If you take away the interior your still driving a car similiar to that so a Skoda.

BMW drivers are on a different planet altogether, but you're saying that the cars are totally different...well the interior is anyway.

But if you look at those pics you can see similiarities between the two. Eg Centre Console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

How can you differentiate between plastics in 2 photos, one that's a realtime photo, the other a staged brochure shot. It's more than specsavers you'd need to do this !

kluivert wrote:
    But if you look at those pics you can see similiarities between the two. Eg Centre Console.

Most cars have a centre console. It's not that unusual.

I've been around VAG cars since I was born, I love them.. my point which maybe some of you will get from the pictures, is you get what you pay for and although a car may share a chassis, they can still differ quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes, but most people who buy Skodas get 1.4, 1.6 or 1.9 TDI engines, in either Ambiente or elegance. The most expensive combination in this situation is about 26k list.

An A4 on the other hand is 40k for a 1.9Tdi in base trim. You pay your money and take your choice.

EDIT: Look at the passat center console: It is a carbon copy of the octavia (or is it the other way around...)

Jip wrote:
    How can you differentiate between plastics in 2 photos, one that's a realtime photo, the other a staged brochure shot. It's more than specsavers you'd need to do this !

Both brochure shots I'm afraid.

Maybe Skoda use a cheaper camera. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Jip wrote:

Thats my point....

At the end of the day, there is a QUALITY FEEL about the Audi that Skoda is missing.

But at the end of the day the point is there's nothing to laugh about when it comes to Skoda these days. They re a good car an a very good alternative buy from the Audi for those who dont have the money for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the skoda badge detracts strongly from the car, regardless of what it is. its still a skoda. and yes the badge matters when u are spending 20 grand+.
    i looked at the skoda and saw zero savings for an equivenlent when i ordered the comfortline golf 1.6fsi tiptronic auto against the equivelent octavia, except for aircon. and tbh i wouldnt trade aircon for the vw badge. the value retention of the golf will be alot better than the skoda. no one can deny that.
    also the comfortline is a different car from the base model. apart from beautiful semi recaro velour seats it has great overhead and footwell lighting, cruise control, rain s wipers, alloys, electrochromic mirror, and a few other bits and bobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Im 19 with a bit of a racer attitude but I have to say,I love the Octavia,Id sooner buy it over the passat anyday. We've had about 7 Skodas in the family between my parants and my unccle and never had an ounce of trouble with any,my mam is driving an octavia with 100k+ miles on it and the only trouble its givin is the adjuster for the mirror broke off, and even at that it was more to do with a large force applyied to it then to the car itself.
    I love taking the octavia out for a drive around,its very comfortable car to drive.
    As for the Fabia VRS, how can you not love a hot hatch that can out preform alot of others in the market....thats a diesel???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I will be driving a Skoda Fabia until Thursday, have done for the last 2 years, and I have to say it never let me down, great car, nippy and economical...
    I have been slagged many times about it, that its a "bitches car", and the usual "What are you driving" " A Skoda" "oh..." and the sympathetic look...
    I dont care, great car.. there is a still a stigma attached to the name but mainly from people who dont have a clue about cars.
    When you tell them the amount of polls its come very high people tend to take it a bit more serious...

Only time will weaken the Skoda's bad image...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so would the general feeling then be that Volkswagens and Audis are ridiculously overpriced. given that it can't cost much more to produce an Jetta than it does to produce an Octavia.

Personally i think VW's are seriously over-rated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    so would the general feeling then be that Volkswagens and Audis are ridiculously overpriced. given that it can't cost much more to produce an Jetta than it does to produce an Octavia.

Personally i think VW's are seriously over-rated

BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus, Volvo: All play the same game. I doubt if it costs much more to build a BMW 3-Series than a Jetta or Octavia either. Although in fairness toyota dont make a mockery of Lexus by putting in miserable engines into the IS (etc.) as other "luxury" brands get.

I think VWs idea is their cars fit between the Fords and BMWs in terms of "prestige". They charge accordingly. They give people plenty choice: Bentley, Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda... I dont think anyone can complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I bought a Fabia 2 yrs ago due to its reputation as bloody reliable and it has certainly lived up to its name!
    Surveys have placed the Skoda as one of the best european makes on the market
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/survey/top_10.shtml,
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=214562&EL=3121185, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3641001.stm
    Alot of taxi drivers drive Skodas as well as the usual Japanese makes for reliability hence their growing popularity and value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

maidhc wrote:
    BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus, Volvo: All play the same game. I doubt if it costs much more to build a BMW 3-Series than a Jetta or Octavia either.
    I disagree. BMWs cost more to make than a Jetta or Octavia. They are made in smaller volumes, with more bespoke parts and fewer components shared with other platforms. Having said that this does not justify the ludicrous profits that BMW make on their cars. The badge does that, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I disagree. BMWs cost more to make than a Jetta or Octavia. They are made in smaller volumes, with more bespoke parts and fewer components shared with other platforms. Having said that this does not justify the ludicrous profits that BMW make on their cars. The badge does that, apparently.

Don't be fooled by supposed smaller volumes, the 3-series is the third biggest volume model range of the german manufacturers after the vw golf and opel astra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The bmw 3 series outsells the Mondeo in Britain - its nowt to do with volume!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    The bmw 3 series outsells the Mondeo in Britain

Dunno about recent years, but I remember very well that for many, many years, the BMW 3-series and the Mercedes C-class (190 before it) were 2 of the 3 bestselling cars in Germany. The other one in the top 3 varied...

Then again, a basic one of them cost about the same over there as a same-ish engine Ford / Opel / Jap / VW, etc. cost over here because of our tax system

Advertisement