Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reason 3.0

• 22-01-2006 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Basically you can make complete songs from this software alone, yes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah but you will be able to tell that the song was made in Reason if you get what I mean. Its a good place to start learning though so go right ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Anima wrote:
    Yeah but you will be able to tell that the song was made in Reason
    not necessarily anima, not necessarily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, i've heard a couple of blinding tracks that were made purely with reason.

Well if a beginner used Reason and made a song, its very obvious. If someone advanced was ****ing with the routing and using different samples etc, then I'd agree that its hard to spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Joey Shabadoo

Can anyone tell me any fairly well known songs (electro/techno/acid) that were made solely with Reason?

• Advertisement

you cant really tell man

producers dont tend to write all the software and hardware they use for tunes on the record sleeve lol

Haha yeah I guess you're right. Thing is, I just got Reason. I have no real idea on how to use it or indeed how to put together a song. But I'm determined to crack it so I'm just trying to get any tidbits of info on this as I can!

open up the demo songs and see how theyre put together, thatll give you an idea of what each machine can do

Cool, thanks man. I'm in way over my head here but I'm having fun, so it doesn't matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I'm using it at the moment. I have to say I all round it's one of the best packages out there. Softsynth, samplers, effects, and processors are all top notch. The sequencer could do with a re-think, but it's still faily good.

The Prodigy recorded most of their last studio album with Reason. If you're clever enough and spend enough time learning the ins and outs you can create tonns of diffrent sounds.

• Advertisement

sturgo wrote:
    The Prodigy recorded most of their last studio album with Reason

no

they didnt

howlett sketched ideas out in reason, then used his studio and proper outboard gear to ACTUALLY make the tracks

The Prodigy recorded most of their last studio album with Reason. If you're clever enough and spend enough time learning the ins and outs you can create tonns of diffrent sounds.

Not quite true, they used Reason to jot down their ideas but then made the tracks in the studio using analog synths and all that craic.

So, Reason is pretty much the meat of the sound on the new album?

– Literally everything you’ll hear on the new album has been written on Reason. Everything starts there. Eventually we get to a stage where the song is written, and then we – that’s my producer Neil McClennan and I – move it into ‘Tools where we finish off everything, and that works great since Reason integrates with ProTools really well. Everything that comes out of Reason sounds really good, it’s got this sound, I think – a kind of certain... everything sounds like it “locks in” really good, you know? And that sound we got out of Reason is something that we now and again had to go back to Reason to duplicate; sometimes we’d do a thing in ProTools and it just didn’t rock it like Reason did, so we’d take it out of ProTools and try to duplicate it in Reason instead.

What, specifically, don’t you use Reason for?

– When it comes to bass sounds, I’m pure analog and I don’t use soft synths for bass at all. There’s just no substitute for analog. Instead, I’ll take an Oberheim, Moog, Korg MS-20 or something, sample a sequence of it playing, rex it up and then bring that back in Reason and lock it in there. I do occasionally use the softsynths to put melodies down – I’d say maybe 50% of the synths, the top line and high end stuff, is Reason. I can’t as of yet use it for everything – obviously you can’t record vocals into it – but ultimately, what Reason does have by way of limitations is also one of its strong points. It forces your imagination to be more on the board, you have to dig it out of your head rather than just going “well, I just can’t do that in there”. I never saw it that way, I mean if something you want to do is completely off limits then just use another program, no big deal.

http://www.propellerheads.se/news/articles/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=prodigy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Mylos debut "Destroy Rock and Roll" was produced in reason

sturgo wrote:
    So, Reason is pretty much the meat of the sound on the new album?

– Literally everything you’ll hear on the new album has been written on Reason. Everything starts there. Eventually we get to a stage where the song is written, and then we – that’s my producer Neil McClennan and I – move it into ‘Tools where we finish off everything, and that works great since Reason integrates with ProTools really well. Everything that comes out of Reason sounds really good, it’s got this sound, I think – a kind of certain... everything sounds like it “locks in” really good, you know? And that sound we got out of Reason is something that we now and again had to go back to Reason to duplicate; sometimes we’d do a thing in ProTools and it just didn’t rock it like Reason did, so we’d take it out of ProTools and try to duplicate it in Reason instead.

What, specifically, don’t you use Reason for?

– When it comes to bass sounds, I’m pure analog and I don’t use soft synths for bass at all. There’s just no substitute for analog. Instead, I’ll take an Oberheim, Moog, Korg MS-20 or something, sample a sequence of it playing, rex it up and then bring that back in Reason and lock it in there. I do occasionally use the softsynths to put melodies down – I’d say maybe 50% of the synths, the top line and high end stuff, is Reason. I can’t as of yet use it for everything – obviously you can’t record vocals into it – but ultimately, what Reason does have by way of limitations is also one of its strong points. It forces your imagination to be more on the board, you have to dig it out of your head rather than just going “well, I just can’t do that in there”. I never saw it that way, I mean if something you want to do is completely off limits then just use another program, no big deal.

http://www.propellerheads.se/news/articles/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=prodigy

nothing but propellerheads spin

Helix wrote:
    nothing but propellerheads spin

Well he hardly produced it on Fruity Loops.

no, its produced in a proper studio, most likely protools as the midi sequencer for external stuff, with reason slaved in with rewire, and protools handling all external audio

no more than anyone else would use it really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

hi joey.

i think part of the reason why Reason is known to "not be able to produce full tunes" is because it doesnt support audio recording in the typical sequencer fashion like something like Sonar or Cubase for example.
    Instead you need to load your audio [vocals for example] into its sampler. This is not as much of an issue if your stuff is primarily electronic/instrumental.

Im sure there are plenty of dance/electronic tracks out there that have been made exclusively, or almost exclusively using Reason.

Its a very powerfull bit of software, but perhaps not as easy to learn as some other software, depending on how you like to work. Personally its not my thing but its definatly a great start for anyone gettin into dance/electronic production.

Dont rule out Ableton Live as a good all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

its a copy of reason i've had since november, loaded disk one and the sound banks wont load, ive not installed the fen thing...... any one know what could be, coz i heard of people usen copies before!!!!!!!!

help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 amistyfog

I think Apple Pro Logic is the best sequencer(expensive though), along with various plugins from Native Instruments, particularly Reaktor 5, that is the most powerful piece of software ive ever used.

• Advertisement

Basically you can make complete songs from this software alone, yes?

the track here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054941294

was made in absolutely nothing but reason 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JakeLuxor

My own take on this debate is that Im sure there are lots of tracks out there in clubland made exclusively with Reason doing quiet well thank you very much and fairplay to those making them.:D
    But if your using a real drumkit or vocals for example and your producing to a high level then Im afraid the compressors and reverbs on programs like Reason just arent gonna cut it, plus to really capture the dynamic nature of vocals cymbals ect. ect. your gonna need nice ad converters to get the audio onto your hardisk!
    Iv read that apparantly the last Prodigy album was done on Reason.........Id be willing to bet that when Liam Howlet (thats the main mans name I think?) says he used Reason he means that the raw sounds were all made and probably sequenced in reason but you can be damned sure they were sent out through an analog desk back into protools most likely and then processed with compressors and eqs that would cost as much as any of our avarage cars with Lexicon reverbs all over the shop just to rub it into us poor minions.
    Then just for good measure sent off to some mastering house that probably charges anywhere from 200-400 sterling per hour to master the feckin thing!

http://www.myspace.com/hybrasil

Advertisement