Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting PC to both Monitor and TV

Options
  • 22-01-2006 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I have a PC with a Radeon 9600 with both a DVI and VGA out. I've tested and the card can output both at once to two different monitors. So the plan I have in mind is to get a long VGA cable and run it to my HDTV(it's not that far and I have a route so thats not a problem) which is a Samsung LE26R51.

So I've a couple of questions. First of all, will this put a strain on my graphics card? It'd simply be sending the same signal twice, not making a double-sized desktop(ATI's software lets you do either), so I imagine its not too tough but I plan to be playing high definition videos for example, which I know are a strain at the best of times.

Second of all, how do I deal with sound? The VGA port on my TV has a single socket beside it that I guess is the same type of connector as a standard headphone jack. So could I simply run an audio cable from the headphone jack of my desktop speakers? Or would this be a big loss in quality? I want to either split the audio so it sends to both at once, or have something simple like plugging out the headphone jack to easily switch audio from desktop to TV without having to go behing the PC.

So suggestions would be welcome. I assume I can pick up all the cables I'd need in Peats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

i have a pc in the kitchen with a 17 inch monitor on dvi and a 42 inch plasma in the living room connected via vga (a 50 foot long cable) it puts no strain on the card ive an X800 and works great using standard settings

word of advice dont go near peats - v expensive - try ebay - i got all my cables online there from america - v cheap even including delivery

sound wise i run an optical cable from my breakout box to my surround amp - but you could use a splitter if the sound is coming out your tv

Advertisement