Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After the Upgrade - anyone having problems?

• 22-01-2006 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having any problems after the recent Eircom upgrade?

I posted yesterday in the when you're upgraded thread with reported speeds of 2784 downstream / 384 upstream. Not the full 3Mbits bit happy enough, stable connection etc.

Arrive in yesterday evening and my connection is all but unusable, basically it was disconnecting and subsequently reconnecting every minute.

After some investigation today, the higher the connection speed the more flakey the connection. The problem is that by default the downstream wants to connect as fast as possible in the 3Mbits range, and AFAICS anything above the 2.7ish range has too low a signal to noise ratio and I get a ton of line errors etc. The only reason I'm on now is that it negociated a connection of 2592 kbps - this time.

I'm going to give Netsource support a ring tomorrow to see what can be done - but I'm just wondering anyone experiencing anything similar?

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yep, on Digiweb's DSL2 package (3mb/384kb) on the Donadea exchange in Kildare, pings and speeds were fine all day yesterday until about 7pm, when download speeds fell dramatically, and pings went through the roof.

same thing happened earlier on this evening, my d/l speed is about 600Kb usually, uploads around 250ish...pings averaging ~175 to boards....

not getting any disconnects though, just awful speeds and pings half the time...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Only the fact that my pings are the same as before.
    I dont download much and never got near my cap.
    Was hoping the upgrade would improve pings but it hasnt.
    My pings are not as good as guys on slower connection.
    Im on 3072/384.
    Pinging boards @ 30-32 ,ive seen guys lower than 20 post here.
    Ping to Jolt is 40-42,ive seen guys lower than 30 post here.
    Im within a quarter of a mile form the exchange so i cant figure out why im 10-15 ms worse off than most others even on so-called slower connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

utv is awful all day. My shiny new 2mbit line has lost it's gleam and maxes out at around 450k download... Some upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm on 3072/384

but when downloading speeds drop :(

it holds for like 2-3 seconds then falls and falls and stays at 2.1mb

this sucks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

dazberry wrote:
    Arrive in yesterday evening and my connection is all but unusable, basically it was disconnecting and subsequently reconnecting every minute.

After some investigation today, the higher the connection speed the more flakey the connection. The problem is that by default the downstream wants to connect as fast as possible in the 3Mbits range, and AFAICS anything above the 2.7ish range has too low a signal to noise ratio and I get a ton of line errors etc. The only reason I'm on now is that it negociated a connection of 2592 kbps - this time.

I'm going to give Netsource support a ring tomorrow to see what can be done - but I'm just wondering anyone experiencing anything similar?

D.
    I'm in exactly the same situation. My router won't connect at a lower down speed it insists on syncing at 3072; the problem is that my line can't support that speed.

ADSL Link Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    SNR 5.5 dB 0.0 dB
    ATEN 52 dB 31 dB

The figures speak for themselfes; the only way to get the line to work without constant disconnects is to unplug every phone in the house; which is what I'm doing now :( I can't do this for long the phone is used my the bill payer and she is demanding it back. I really don't want to lose my 384 up! **** you €ircon! Burn in the deepest hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

im on the CABRA exchange (in phibsboro lol)

i was getting constant disconnects last night too dazberry
    im only on 2mb tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

I'm on the Drogheda exchange and since being upgraded to the 2Mb level I've been noticing the connection dropping randomly when connected.
    I was just surfing so it didn't make much of a difference.

I decided to use the speed tester from www.myspeed.com repeatdly and noticed that the line's download speed dipping wildly during the testing. One minute it was 1.74 Mb and if tested straight away it would then show under 900K. If this is the way the line will perform then I'd rather have the 1Mb limit back, at least it was stable.

Also like DCULLY I've not seen much in the way of decrease in the ping times to any server which is what I was really hoping for.

So I've very mixed feelings about the upgrade, on the one hand any speed increase was welcome but on the other it's a pain when the connection slows down or stop altoghter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

A friend of mine in Swords asked me if I was having problems. He had high pings and the like. Possibly just teething problems.

Personally I've found the new connection great. I had maybe 2 disconnections all weekend. That's a massive improvement over what I'd been getting for the last few weeks. I'm on the Belcamp exchange by the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i had awfull problems all of saturday speeds ranging from full 3megs down to 28k and pings anywhere from 10ms up to 1000ms, thankfully everythings been fine since yesterday evening.

If you guys have problems please post your line quality stats. It helps to figure out if it's your physical line that's the problem or not. I'm going have to disconnect soon - someone needs the phone :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mine are:

download/upload

SNR Margin: 16.41 18. 0 dB
    Line Attenuation: 36.17 20. 0 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    FEC Errors: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 58
    Data Rate: 3072 384

ive no idea what any of the above means, is it good or bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

im only getting 1024/256... not fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Had to work a double shift last night due to power outages at the airport so only noticed just now that the speeds had increased. Great news and fair play to Eircom for not charging for it. Thats 2 years in a row now !

I was downloading a file and noticed it was arriving at 294KB/s. IrishISPtest says 2.55M/310K. Tried about 5 or 6 times: constant each try. Not experiencing any problems with dropouts or pings. Not an online gamer so no idea of any effects there.

How much of a part would the router play in the measurement can anyone say? I'm using an old Efficient Networks 5861 unit and I'm roughly 800 - 1000 mts from the exchange as the crow flies. Is it worth buying a more modern unit ?

I'm on the Bridgestreet Exchange in Swords.
    ZEN

Gonzo wrote:

Compared to mine it's bloody great. I doubt your problems were linked to your line it was probably just upgrade pains. Lucky you and your lovely non-swiss chesse lines *sob*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Gonzo wrote:
    mine are:

download/upload

Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    FEC Errors: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 58
    Data Rate: 3072 384

have a look on this thread, explains everything...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/388705.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm on digiweb on the Whitehall exchange. My speeds have dropped since the upgrade (they were fairly respectable). At least it's better than last time when I lost my broadband for > 3 weeks. I couldn't be ar*ed to complain as I'm in the process of changing over to smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If you guys have problems please post your line quality stats. It helps to figure out if it's your physical line that's the problem or not. I'm going have to disconnect soon - someone needs the phone :(

I had problems very similar to yours at the last 1mb -> 2mb upgrade...line dropping out of synch....I finally figured out (after a lot of googling and some help from boards) that it was down to my router not being able to handle the higher speed combined with the already sh*tty SNR on my copper.
    I eventually found a firmware upgrade that fixed the issue but was dreading the new upgrade in case it all went pear-shaped again...but it hasn't.

Is your router running latest firmware or have you ruled out the router as the problem (besides your crappy line)
    ADSL Link  	Downstream  	Upstream
    Connection Speed 	3072 kbps 	384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 	     49 db 	   15 db
    Noise Margin 	               3 db 	     13 db

My SNR has been consistently this bad all along but that firmware upgrade really seeemed to do the trick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Digiweb DSL upgraded from 1mb to 2mb

Speeds are terrible and very unstable ranging between 0.75kps and 1.7mbps (yes thats right it was literally down to 756bytes per second!!!!!!!!!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

my BT BB tends to disconnect itself every 20mins, the router just shows a red led for Internet, a bit pissy IMO.
    Very unstable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

halenger wrote:
    A friend of mine in Swords asked me if I was having problems. He had high pings and the like. Possibly just teething problems.

What sort of speeds is your mate getting in Swords?

I also live in Swords and I am with BT on the 3mb package and before it was upgraded from 2mb I was getting a constant 1.71mbps on irishisptest and now when I test it its at 782kbps down!

Now here comes the weird problem when I download a linux distro torrent I get 320kB constant so my connection must be in and around 2.6mbps. So why are all the dsl tests I have tested all report my connection as being in and around 780-800kbps. Oh and by the way my upload is fine it’s rocking along at 308.40 kbps

EDIT: Just to say I am not getting and sync errors or dropped connections either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Compared to mine it's bloody great. I doubt your problems were linked to your line it was probably just upgrade pains. Lucky you and your lovely non-swiss chesse lines *sob*

OfflerCG, you running off a Dlink?

Mine: Dlink 504
    ADSL Link Speed 2592/384
    SNR 3.5dB/-
    ATEN 55dB/31dB

A ton of line errors - majority on the upstream - but its holding for the time being - otherwise I wouldn't be here :eek:

I rang Netsource today - explained to them the problem and how my router insisted on wanting to connect at 3Mbps. To cut a long story short, they are sending me out a new router (on loan) to see if it improves the situation. If not, I think the only option is a downgrade to 2mb :(

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

test16up.th.jpg

and

tst49ra.th.jpg

Just says it all really......

dazberry wrote:
    OfflerCG, you running off a Dlink?

Mine: Dlink 504
    ADSL Link Speed 2592/384
    SNR 3.5dB/-
    ATEN 55dB/31dB

A ton of line errors - majority on the upstream - but its holding for the time being - otherwise I wouldn't be here :eek:
    Yep I am - the exact same router and all!! Well I never trusted this router tbh; it does seem fixed on connecting at 3Mb even thought the line can't support it. Damn! I have the lastest firmware running on it since it's such an old router it hasn't updated in years and I doubt Dlink will bother ever fixing it. I may ring up BT and see if I can blag a router from them........I must disconnect the phone when I want to play WoW; it's simply stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

How can I find out the SNR / ATEN figures with my Allied Telesys AR-240E modem?...dont see this information anywhere in any of the menu's or status pages within the web configuration client?...anyone know?

Cheers,
    Jab

PS - Since upgrade, I am dropping connections and re-acquiring evey few mins. Very similar to first post in this thread, and am on netsource too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭ando

My line never connects at above 1.9mbps Boowho

Line Attenuation
    58/31 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Yep I am - the exact same router and all!! Well I never trusted this router tbh; it does seem fixed on connecting at 3Mb even thought the line can't support it. Damn!

I moved up to the latest gen II firmware (R2.21.002.06.b17uk) last night, and it did seem more willing to be rate adaptive - tried it a couple of times and it was more willing after a few minutes to drop down to workable speeds. Telnet also works on the damn thing finally!

This morning I powered up the machine, and the router is reporting 3072/384 3.0dB/0.0dB, some CRC errors but very stable even more so than the slower speeds yesterday. Interesting to see how its running this evening...

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

eh?? the upgrades have happened already? havent noticed any increase in my connection speed, mind you the only thing i look at in the last couple of days was bearshare and that said the max was still 2048. Did notice that the net connection was very slow though yesterday.
    Do i need to restart my router to get the changes or should it have been done automatically?

dazberry wrote:
    This morning I powered up the machine, and the router is reporting 3072/384 3.0dB/0.0dB, some CRC errors but very stable even more so than the slower speeds yesterday. Interesting to see how its running this evening...

D.
    I was already using the latest firmware; try using the D-link application on this website if you want more in-depth information about your router. Using it my SnR and ATEN values are different to what the modem is reporting.....odd but I belive the figures. The router might just be messed up :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

wtf4re.png

My router created the universe soon after the upgrade! :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've been experiencing fluctuating speeds on Digiweb DSL since the upgrade 470kbps to 1.7 mbps according to Irish speedtest. Here's what digiweb had to say:

As a result of the Eircom line upgrades on Saturday some customers have
    reported the same problems that you have experienced. This is a result
    of a technical issue associated with the upgrade. This is due to be
    resolved on Thursday afternoon.

Advertisement