Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After the Upgrade - anyone having problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

digitaldr wrote:
    As a result of the Eircom line upgrades on Saturday some customers have
    reported the same problems that you have experienced. This is a result
    of a technical issue associated with the upgrade. This is due to be
    resolved on Thursday afternoon.

uh, I hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've had a lot of random disconnects since the upgrade, several per day... although afaicr there were problems like this after the last upgrade aswell, at least for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is even slower now than yesterday evening, im seriously thinking of unplugging my broadband and sticking in a 56k modem coz it will be faster. im pinging over 1000ms to everything and irishisptest is giving me 24kbs download and 8kps upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Had a championship race in my GTR league last night and had to remove myself from it with pings of 700 and more! Living just south of Drougheda and the quality of service is ****ing rubbish. Eircom "upgraded" the line last sunday night (I could tell by the number of house alarms that went off at 3 in the ****in morning!) and my line has been fluctuating up and down and is pretty much USELESS to me now....****ers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Those nice people at Netsource sent me out a new ADSL router on loan to see if it improved any of my issues. Came configured, just needed to change the IP address for my network here, plug it in...

Immediately reports: 3072/384
    Irish Speed Test: 2.62Mbps/325kbps

Router has been up nearly an hour, and the statistics don't report any packet errors. I'll give this a good workout for a few days :), but it looks like my Dlink 504 is going to be retired (which is a pity because I did like the router). The on loan router btw is a ZyXEL Prestige 660RU - wouldn't have been my first choice admittedly but so far so good.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

whats the address for that digiweb speed test falteringstar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

As I have already posted in a similar thread:

Well I have been synched at 3072/288!

Did speed tests on Irishisptest and got a constant 2.60mbps download but had a range from 160-190kbps on the upload :( .

There must be something wrong there as that download is about as good as you get at (2.6/3=87%)....so why is it that I cant get my full 384Kbit upload?

Will have to ring BT tomorrow and bitch I'd say!!!

Hmmm pings have gone to shít aswell... great :rolleyes:
    Stupid cúnts can do nothing right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive had 3 days of crap service since the upgrade and I cant take anymore, no gaming since saturday and crap download rates, im ringing eircom to see what the hell is going on in the morning.

• Advertisement

My pings to boards.ie have actually gone down from 30-32 to 21-23...which is surprising enough.

Its the screwed up upload thats annoying me as Ive been dreaming of being able to upload at over 40KBytes/s for a while now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

ye when im playin a bit of enemyterritory my connection keeps diconnecting and then reconnecting but this doesnt happen out on my desktop only wen im in game..will this stop happenin after a while wen they get all the connection sorted out?

my speeds are dropping :/

start good at 2.6, then slowly go down to 2.0-2.1, this vacuums :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

http://speedtest.digiweb.ie

They emailed it to me the other day.

my speeds have been below rollercoasting between 28bps and 650bps all day with pings up to 1000ms constantly and now after 11pm everythings back to normal, the same yesterday, the same on sunday and the same on saturday.... is this a case of an overloaded exchange im on/contention? this has only been happening since the upgrade...its not my phoneline or modem coz its well able to handle 3072/384 when it wants to. if im back to 30-400bps by the morning and high pings i'll ring eircom and find out for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm on BT BB too - got an E-Mail saing that my speed was going to go up on the 23rd of Jan (perhaps this is relevant) got nothing although my connection did get a little dodgy that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

zuma wrote:
    As I have already posted in a similar thread:

Well I have been synched at 3072/288!

I'm in a similar situation, 3072/224 or occasionally 3072/256!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kiazoe

Just off the phone to digiweb (again). I've been having high pings since the upgrade. They say the problems should be resolved today...eircom must be working on it still.

Fingers crossed!

decob wrote:
    I'm in a similar situation, 3072/224 or occasionally 3072/256!

Bloody annoying!

Damn I want the 384 as promised and not 288...will be ringing them up soon about this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'm getting great pings now, 24 to boards (compared with 40ish before upgrade), but the speeds are awful, even now. trying to download a file from a fast server and it's only coming in at 20KBps. before today it was only evening time that was affected... :confused: luckiliy i'm off away for a couple of days today, so it should be fixed by the time i'm back, otherwise digiweb will be getting another call. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Gonzo wrote:
    my speeds have been below rollercoasting between 28bps and 650bps all day with pings up to 1000ms constantly and now after 11pm everythings back to normal, the same yesterday, the same on sunday and the same on saturday.... is this a case of an overloaded exchange im on/contention? this has only been happening since the upgrade...its not my phoneline or modem coz its well able to handle 3072/384 when it wants to. if im back to 30-400bps by the morning and high pings i'll ring eircom and find out for sure.

If your modem says it's connected at 3072/384, then the problem is in eircom's network. Otherwise the problem is your line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Pings to boards.ie used to be at around 60ms, now they are in the 20-25ms region. Up speed is constant at 40kbps. I'm with Digiweb.

ok my connection is gone pants again since i woke up, time to ring eircom

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>ping www.eircom.net

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=122ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 103ms, Maximum = 142ms, Average = 124ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>tracert www.eircom.net

Tracing route to home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 188 ms 284 ms 254 ms b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.27]
    3 111 ms 134 ms 145 ms 83.71.112.161
    4 153 ms 112 ms 164 ms 159.134.125.15
    5 121 ms 127 ms 119 ms 159.134.198.138

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>

I rang eircom explained everything thats been happening since the upgrade and they told me its either spyware or a virus on my computer. of course i dont believe them but since the phonecall my modem has dropped back to 2048/256 and its rock solid stable for the first time since friday. Im wondering is my exchange suffering from the same issues as the Belcamp exchange and that they are working on my exhange.. i sure hope so coz i want my stable 3072/384 back asap.

Gonzo wrote:
    I rang eircom explained everything thats been happening since the upgrade and they told me its either spyware or a virus on my computer.

What a classic, leave us alone reply :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I'm in Dundrum, with Esat BT. getting 300k downloads constantly as well as optimal upload speeds. Cant complain at all. Must try xbox live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

When is this expected to be sorted out? Digiweb emailed me this morning to say it would be sorted out today, but my speeds are still fluctuating, althought they are higher still not 2mb though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

The standard Ping is sh*te for giving any meaningful information, after all it is only 32 bytes of info. You should really be pinging with 256, 512 or 1024. Even then it bears little relation when trying to gauge browsing speed/quality. It is useful for just confiming the existence of a connection.

There is still something crap going on using irishisptest during the week the quality of service has been hovering around 60%. Some evenings download speed is ok, upload speed tended to be rubbish a 148. I am with Eircom and should now have 3072/384. This evening I have 1.90/316. Which is the best this week. By the way I'm on the Newbridge exchange.

Gonzo wrote:
    I rang eircom explained everything thats been happening since the upgrade and they told me its either spyware or a virus on my computer.
    LMFAO, yeah that must be it. :rolleyes:
    I wish they'd stop feeding their customer service monkeys with one-size-fits-all it's-not-on-our-end answers and empower them to ask an actual engineer wtf is going on with their network.
    I'm so tired of hitting this information brick-wall with people who either haven't been properly trained, or have no up-to-date information made available to them.

I won't even bother ringing them if that's the kind of horse-shít fob-off response I can expect.

Just to illustrate a point, I had some poor, tortured, sales drone from eircon call me on the phone trying to sell me broadband... he couldn't even tell me what the upload or download speed was, and whether it was metered or not, no information on the cap, nothing... all he knew was that he was selling broadband at €29 and it was "wireless".
    I felt sorry for the guy really, I know it's just a job to him and he's probably not much interested in what he's selling... but it really says a lot about how little eircon prepare their staff for encounters with the public.
    I can just imagine what the support staff meetings are like :rolleyes:
    Or maybe I'm just one of the crazy few customers out there that cares what upload/download they're to expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone know when each exchange will be upgraded?
    I'm in glasnevin, dunno what exchange.
    Checked today, no change yet, but my QOS was brutal this evening 60%.

Advertisement