Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplins Attempted Rip Off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

I too have had similar problems with maplins but i quickly solved it. I never shopped with them again

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Had a horrible experience with these cowboys in Jervis St today..Bought Belkin router and dongle off them for 150 eur this June, last week the router just stopped working..brought both of them back today and was told they have to go back to the u.k. to be inspected, will take 2 to 3 weeks blah blah blah. This was totally unacceptable to me and I needed a replacement then and there (totally reasonable request as I had the original receipt).. The assistant manager said I could only get a replacement of the exact same model that caused the problem in the first place instead of letting me pick out another router!! After my request for a replacement was denied I asked for a refund only to be told I needed to return it in the original box. Seeing as I was getting nowhere I took the router back and told him I was taking this matter further..No other option now but to take it to the national consumer agency..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Had a horrible experience with these cowboys in Jervis St today..Bought Belkin router and dongle off them for 150 eur this June, last week the router just stopped working..brought both of them back today and was told they have to go back to the u.k. to be inspected, will take 2 to 3 weeks blah blah blah. This was totally unacceptable to me and I needed a replacement then and there (totally reasonable request as I had the original receipt).. The assistant manager said I could only get a replacement of the exact same model that caused the problem in the first place instead of letting me pick out another router!! After my request for a replacement was denied I asked for a refund only to be told I needed to return it in the original box. Seeing as I was getting nowhere I took the router back and told him I was taking this matter further..No other option now but to take it to the national consumer agency..
    You know the thing is busted, but they dont, and they have to allowed to check whats up with it. For all they know you could have dropped it in the bath. So I dont think you were being entirely reasonable. A receipt is a proof of purchase, which does not automatically entitle you to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they're entitled to replace it or have it repaired. they're entitled to verify that it is faulty before they replace it for you. They're not obliged to give you a different model and they're not obliged to give you a refund, whether you have the packaging or not

they've done nothing wrong here and the NCA will tell you as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why would you delay the process further for yourself by bringing someone else (the NCA) into this? Just ask the shop for details of their returns procedure and follow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The item was faulty thus they are entitled to replace the item with another exact same model (they could argue repair but since there would be excessive delay then that could be fought against). You have no entitlements to demand a different model without good reason nor have you any rights to demand a refund (since the router is already a few months old) unless they were unwilling to repair or replace the item.

The manager actually was reasonable and said fine you can have a replacement now - that means a replacement with the exact same model. He acted within your rights fairly.

You do not have to go to the NCA for this problem - you should file a case with the small claims court if you feel your rights are being impeded on. I suspect if you do and if maplin are willing to stick behind their rights then you will lose since you are completely wrong and unreasonable.

I really do hope Maplin stand their ground - I hate when people are unnessarily unreasonable.

axer wrote: »
    The manager actually was reasonable and said fine you can have a replacement now - that means a replacement with the exact same model. He acted within your rights fairly.

I would've been content enough and accepted it if they replaced it with the same model, but they said they had none in stock (not my fault!!) so NOTHING was offered to accomodate me. Shoddy shoddy service.

I would've been content enough and accepted it if they replaced it with the same model, but they said they had none in stock (not my fault!!) so NOTHING was offered to accomodate me. Shoddy shoddy service.

you really should read all the posts above which point out that maplin were perfectly within their rights to do what they did and it is in fact not shoddy service

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you really should read all the posts above which point out that maplin were perfectly within their rights to do what they did and it is in fact not shoddy service

I've actually read every post in this thread- 90% of them are about how crappy the customer service and management are at Maplin.

I've actually read every post in this thread- 90% of them are about how crappy the customer service and management are at Maplin.

that is true. i know it's crap because i used to work there. i was referring to your specific case, where you experienced no bad service and the shop was within its rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

Maplins are not able to convert from sterling to euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed - dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement