Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless bb Q

Options
  • 23-01-2006 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

i am just wondering what people think the future will hold for wireless broadband. Will it be able to match the speeds that ADSL broadband will increase to, or will ADSL speeds increase a lot faster than wireless. The reason i ask is that i can get wireless broadband for ~57 euro per month (including installation fee) from permanet.ie (1792 kbs down; 256 kbs up), which is a bit more expensive than normal BB.
    Is it worth it considering as it has no download cap, and no line rental, or should i wait another month or two when ADSL will finally be available in my area. I just don't want to be paying this much money on wireless, if after a couple of months i can get broadband at higher speed and lower cost over the phone line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Well, wireless is certainly not going to match DSL for speed in the next couple of months anyway :)

Perhaps you should read up a little about WiMax, which appears to be the next generation of wireless internet delivery. O2/Siemens were running WiMax experiments in Donegal last year, but I don't think they've released their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Read somewhere recently the Irish Broadband will be setting up WiMax networks in a few of the bigger towns. For some reason they will be limiting range to about to about 5/6 kms. Not sure why this is, as I understood that WiMax range was up 25kms with line of sight, and around 10kms without.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My Wireless broadband is faster than a lot of aDSL (3Mbit). Upload is MUCH faster 512K cf. 256k

NEC sell a 200Mbps system. It's not used for public broadband though.

One reason for Intel's enthusism over wimax is lack of BB for leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

WiMax Shmymax

Whats all this about Wireless Bar'B'Que's????????

Enquiring minds need to know.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

jwt wrote:
    WiMax Shmymax

Whats all this about Wireless Bar'B'Que's????????

Enquiring minds need to know.

John
    :D
    yeah only saw the heading a while ago, probaly got mixed up as i was eating a nice big juicy shteak and shrooms yesterday ...

anyways back to reality.., i am undecided whether to get the wireless in now, or to hang tough another while and get the adsl from SMART telecom, when my local exchange is upgraded. I think i will send an email to Permanet, inquiring a bit more about their technology, and whether they will be upgrading the service in the future, in line with upgrades from SMARt, EIRCOM, BT e.t.c. on their broadband service

• Advertisement
Advertisement