Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant:- Hardly likely, is it????

• 23-01-2006 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, I doubt that I'm pregnant, but as each day passes I'm starting to wonder that little bit more.

I'm just wondering what your general feeling would be towards this:-

A few months ago I had my period.
    One day 1 of the period I started the pill.
    I took it perfectly, every day at the exact same time.
    During the 7 day break I had a period

I began the next packet on the correct date & continued to take it every day at the same time.

On day 7 of that menstrual cycle I had sex with my boyfried & we used a condom.
    When the deed was done my boyfriend pulled out of me but the condom stayed where it was & some cum spilled out around me.

I'm not a person for panicking so I figured the chances of me getting pregnant while taking the pill 100% correctly, being on day 7 of my cycle & while some cum did spill, the condom was still inside me, chances of any sperm making its way past the condom is slim.

So I didn't let it worry me.

However, I'm now on my first 7 day break of the pill since that incident & no period, in fact, the 7 days is nearly up & no period. There's some spotting but nothing more than that.

Since I've only had one period while on the pill prior to this, I don't know if it's just my body adjusting to the pill or if I should be worried.

I know if I still haven't had a period by next week I'm going to get a test done.

What would your general feeling be on this?
    Would you be concerned or do you also think it's HIGHLY unlikely?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get a pregancy test and find out or go make an appointment with your dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'd say you're probably pregnant.

or not.

How would I know? Go to a doctor, or ignore it and hope it all works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes Thaedydal, if I don't have my period by next week I intend to get a pregnancy test.
    I just don't want to be over-reacting so I want to give my period a chance.

Basically I was looking more for what do people honestly feel the chances of me becoming pregnant from that situation are, not whether or not I should do a test.

(We're in our mid twenties)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Why would some random punters opinion on the net matter anyway? You are either pregant or you are not. No form of contraception is 100 percent foolproof.

Use a condom and you can still get pregant. Be on the pill and you can still get pregant. Do both and you can still get pregnant.

Guess what, thats what sex is for. I know that majority of the population seems to have forgotten this and assumes that it's all for fun, but we **** to make babies and the laws of nature will out.

So, the chances of you having gotten pregant would be slim, but there is still a chance. Lets but the odds at a billion to one.

But that one could just as easily be you as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

No contraception is 100% even the pill(apart from abstaining), especially in first couple of months of going on it, to ask if your pregnant on boards with all due respect nobody here could possibly know, just take a test.

Periods can go funny when u go on or off the pill till ur body adjusts.

• Advertisement

BabyMaybe wrote:
    Yes Thaedydal, if I don't have my period by next week I intend to get a pregnancy test.
    )

Why wait? You're obviously freaking out. If you are waiting for someone to post "you're not pregnant", you're wasting your time - how would they know one way or the other? Get a test - today - and stop/start worrying about it. Even if it's really unlikely that you are pregnant, you still could be.

If you are pregnant then you are at least 10 days plus and that is time enough for a first response test to register the pregnancy.
    The pill is not 100% effective.
    I can understand if you are new to using it or you are new to that type of pill you are unsure as to how your body can be reacting but if you have not had your period by day 7 of your break and you are due to start a new packet of the pill don't wait get a test done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Why wait get a test today stop freaking yourself out. Freaking yourself out can stop your periods. Get a test in the chemist get a double pack so you can check in a day or two again if its negative and remember dont start your next pack till you are sure you are not pregnant. Ring the Well Woman clinic and ask their advise but do a test they are not very expensive and for the peace of mind they give you not expensive at all.

Ok, sorry for posting guys.

I know no one can tell me that I'm not pregnant, or that I am pregnant.
    I'm not expecting that you can, nor would I agree if someone said I definitely am, definitely am not.

I'm not really freaking at the minute as I believe my body may just be adjusting to the pill, so I want to give it a chance.

I live in the back end of nowhere & I work somewhere nearly as bad which doesn't have a chemist near it.
    By the time I get to a town with a chemist in it, it's already past closing time (until Thur). That's why (if not for any other reason) I've to wait.

I was just hoping that there'd be someone out there who might know something about the odds of getting pregnant :

a) on day 7 of a menstrual cycle
    b) while taking the pill as accurately as possible
    c) while using a condom with some cum spilling out of it
    d) all the above factors combined

I know there's always a chance, just how big / small do you think the chance is in my case.

I don't think that's a really stupid question to ask peoples opinions for.
    I've already said if no period in next few days I'll be getting a test.
    Like I said, I'm not asking the question am I / am I not.

If ye still think what I'm asking is stupid, just say so, I won't reply anymore & mods can lock the thread.

Thanks for your help

I'm still curious as to what differrence knowing the odds would make. You are of you are not. Plain and simple.

Think about the odds before hand, not after.

• Advertisement

Think about the odds before hand, not after.

What's that supposed to mean?

Are you holier than thou who believes abstaining is the only answer?

The odds would have been EXTREMELY slim if the condom hadn't have been left behind (as it where)

That's not something that we intended happening, so besides the accident, I don't think we could have been any more responsible.

I still happen to think the chances are very slim, I just wondered if everyone else thought so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

gonker wrote:
    Why wait get a test today stop freaking yourself out.
    Agreed. It always amazes me that someone can think that there is a chance that they are pregnant but would rather do nothing about it and spend a week worrying instead.

Also, I've had female friends describe situations where they have practically had to physically drag their friends (who have no objection to emergency contraception) to the doctor after unprotected sex as they can't seem to be able to pluck up the courage themselves.

Of course the chances are extrememly slim i mean come on, but you already know that so why the hell are you asking???

As for what i mean, sex = babies. Plain and simple. If you are not in a situation where you would be able to cope with the results of any form of "accident" then you should not be having sex.

This is not a holier than thou attitude, nor do i go in for abstaining. I'm just saying that if you were not in a situation where you can deal with a pregnancy then why are you having sex in the first place????

But back the original point, yeah the chances are slim, but there is still the chance. Sorry if that didn't make you feel any better.

Thanks Dragan.

No, I do agree with you (once you cleared up what you meant)

I don't think anyone should do anything that they can't handle the consequences of.

But, I never said I couldn't handle the consequences, in fact, the exact opposite.
    I'm better able to cope than a lot of people. Granted, the situation is not ideal, but what will be, will be & I'll cope regardless the outcome.

You're actually the 1st that really answered my question, I think!

Yes, I think there's only a small chance, but I'm not about to talk to anyone about this so I posted here to see if others felt the same as I would also be afraid that there's more of a chance than what I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

First of all, when you're on the Pill, you don't have a menstrual cycle anymore. You don't get periods. The bleeding in the time between the packs is a false period, so the day it happened on doesn't make a difference.

Secondly, I missed a "period" when I started on the pill, around the time of the 2nd pack and I wasn't having sex so there was no chance of me being pregnant. Your body does need to adjust.

Thirdly, my flatmate hasn't had a period on the pill since September. She's done repeated pregnancy tests that have all been negative and her doctor says it's probably just stress.

So I'd say the chances of you being pregnant are highly unlikely but like everyone else, I'm not a doctor and would advise you doing a test as soon as you can to put your mind at ease.

Look it could be a million to 1 chance but you have no way of knowing if you are not that 1.
    The only way to be sure is to take a test.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Look it could be a million to 1 chance but you have no way of knowing if you are not that 1.

A rule of thumb:

If its bad (1,000,000 to 1 chance you could be pregnant), you are very likely to be the one

If it's good (1,000,000 to 1 chance you could win the lotto), you are very unlikely to be the one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

You can miss a period even though you're on the pill; its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. The fact that you were taking it correctly would mean it is very highly unlikely that you would be pregnant. Also if you're stressing out over it will also affect you. Take your pill again as normal and by the next break you should have your period, if not go to your gp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

OP: To answer your question: Statistically, you are HIGHLY unlikely to be pregnant. IMO you should just go out and buy a test though. They're cheap, and fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement