Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shaving Products for Gents??

• 23-01-2006 11:01am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently use the Mach3 Turbo with a Nivea shaving gel, and then apply a Clarins aftershave cream.

I'm relatively happy with the Nivea gel. The clarins cream is very good although slightly expensive(~36 euro).

The Mach3 is poor with the blades only lasting 2-3 shaves, there's a noticeable drop in the quality of the shave after that.

Basically I'm interested in what product's you use, and would wether or not you'd recommend them...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

An antique Cut-throat and a badger bristle brush and a stick of soap.
    Never had any problems getting as close as you like.
    The straight razor holds a mean edge and if it dulls just strop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I use the Clarins shave oil and find that mach 3 blades last 2 to 3 times longer than when using foam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

CJhaughey wrote:
    An antique Cut-throat and a badger bristle brush and a stick of soap.
    Never had any problems getting as close as you like.
    The straight razor holds a mean edge and if it dulls just strop it.

I'd love to try one, are the expensive? hard to use?

Do you know where you'd buy one?

I use the Clarins shave oil and find that mach 3 blades last 2 to 3 times longer than when using foam.

I'll try this out too, sounds good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I use the brush and soap too, but not the cut throat razor.
    It's good for the ecology too, one less aerosol in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought mine at a fair in bantry from a guy who had a big pile of them.
    I think they are fairly common, maybe try Ebay?
    There is another razor called a Rolls Razor which comes in a fantastic case with strop built in which are also antique and available quite cheaply.
    I have found the Nivea sensitive aftershave balm good.
    I used to use the simple gel but it is no longer available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Simple skin defence for men" pre-shave products are actually really good I've found. I use the pre-shave wash and scrub before shaving. Haven't tried their other products yet.

For razor I use a Mach 3 Turbo. The blades last quite a bit longer than the standard Mach 3 blades I find. You don't have to buy a new handle to use the Turbo blades either.

Stark wrote:
    "Simple skin defence for men" .

I'll have a look at these, simple are supposed to be good alright.

Stark wrote:
    For razor I use a Mach 3 Turbo. The blades last quite a bit longer than the standard Mach 3 blades I find.

I don't rate the Mach3 blades at all, maybe they vary for differant types of beard/stubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sparks400 wrote:
    I'd love to try one, are the expensive? hard to use?

Do you know where you'd buy one?

Appearently, they are very hard to learn to use, once you are used to it I'd say they are relatively easy. I've heard that you need to practice on balloons for a good while, that's what barbers train on before getting at a face.

http://www.muehle-pinsel.de/?gcid=21
    http://www.truefittandhill.co.uk/index.php

gillo wrote:
    Appearently, they are very hard to learn to use, once you are used to it I'd say they are relatively easy. I've heard that you need to practice on balloons for a good while, that's what barbers train on before getting at a face.
    ]

I'll give them and the simple products ago so, i can see my face been lacerated so i'll try out teh balloon idea:)

Any other product or tip's??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peterl

www.executive-shaving.co.uk are another good site for traditional shaving supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

I find the "King of Shaves" stuff the best. The Klinexium oil is amazing - give it a shot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

otron wrote:
    I find the "King of Shaves" stuff the best.

I'm with you on that one. I was put off at first by the cheesy name but they really do have good products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The best product so to speak preshave is a good ten minutes in a sauna and then get the Mach3 out with a little drop of King Of Shaves or Simple oil. Of course you can wet a small hand towel and give it a minute in the microwave and apply to your face for a few minutes to get a similar effect on the skin/stubble as the sauna would give you.

After that I find you can't beat any of the Simple for men products, samples of which can actually be got here for free http://www.simpleskindefence.com/v2/pages/samples.asp

Good stuff, thanks folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

Yepp... King of Shaves is the best!!!! I have a very hairy brother who gets a terrible shaving rash but since he's start using King of Shaves he doesn't get it!!!!.... God I should be on an ad for "King Of Shaves" hehehe :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Mach3 Power and/or Turbo. Gillette Shaving foam or cream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Whats wrong with...

Razor & Shaving Foam?

You dont need all this other stuff, just learn how to do it right maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Prefer a wet shave to electric myself.
    As yee all know, the price of blades is extortionate, and they'll keep on jacking up the price with each extra blade they add.

Heard a while ago on a radio prog that the blades themselves should keep sharp like any other blade, but it's the building up of dirt that renders them less effective - although Gillette would want you to believe you must change when the blue "moisturiser strip" goes white.

With that, the guy on the show mentioned it should be possible to clean the blades (say, with a nailbrush) to get more life outta them.

Makes sense and worth a try when ya think of it.
    I doubt Gillette would want word to get out, or a "blade cleaning device" to get publicity :p

Shrimp wrote:
    Whats wrong with...
    Razor & Shaving Foam?
    You dont need all this other stuff, just learn how to do it right maybe?

Reckon I can shave correctly at this stage, but thanks anyway.
    Yepp... King of Shaves is the best!!!! I have a very hairy brother who gets a terrible shaving rash but since he's start using King of Shaves he doesn't get it!!!!.... God I should be on an ad for "King Of Shaves" hehehe

Going to make a purchase today, it's getting plenty of good feedback, I'll try boots, thanks again.
    whiskeyman wrote:
    Prefer a wet shave to electric myself.
    Definitly agree

whiskeyman wrote:
    With that, the guy on the show mentioned it should be possible to clean the blades (say, with a nailbrush) to get more life outta them.

Makes sense and worth a try when ya think of it.
    I doubt Gillette would want word to get out, or a "blade cleaning device" to get publicity.
    I'll try this too, I always dry the blade with a towel and keep it out of the bathroom after shaving, away from the damp atmosphere to avoid premature corrosion seems to help a little.

• Advertisement
Advertisement