Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handymen needed

Options
  • 23-01-2006 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

If I wasnt in my cerrent job, I would work as a handyman. I am constantly hearing of people who need the help of a handman to do jobs. I have family and frineds who own properties who need help with them since there jobs are so demanding. One guy I know who does it is booked up two weeks in advance and makes a hefty sum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Are you looking for a handyman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Are you looking for a handyman?

Well I know a few people who are, would be regular work I'd say to. I said I would keep my eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Where?

South Dublin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have to agree with you Joe, there is a serious amount of people who want small jobs done and pay a fortune to get a trademan in, replacing cracked tiles, fixing a dripping tap etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Aren't there a few companies that offer similar services already?

There was house doctor service near me somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I have often needed a handyman at short notice.

Might be an idea to put up a stickey here with numbers of handymen?

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

U'd have all the housewives on ringing for a hand-yman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

yop wrote:
    U'd have all the housewives on ringing for a hand-yman ;)

That could be a different type pf sticky :)

Seriously though, its very hard to get a good handyman. If there was a sticky on boards then it would be easy to find one. Also people would post about the quality of work etc, so you would know what you are getting. No more pot luck from the golden pages.

I think its a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Housewife: My plumbing needs looking at!!

Mad m: No problem love,mad m my name,sorting your plumbing is eh wait, will have to ring a plumber as im a painter.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

A couple of years ago I was talked into the need for general maintenance services or handyman with the back up of fully skilled tradesmen when needed.

The company was formed and seperate telephone line etc, a van dedicated to general services (sign written) even the golden pages got a small ad under building maintenance.

I think I went wrong by setting up the service as a business with VAT and PAYE / PRSI registration.

I reckon it broke even but the majority of work was fixing the bad job done by "Yer Man they met in the Pub", I know our rates were well within competitive rates but the general public didn't want or need the service.

As a sideline I reckon there is a lot of work out there for the weekender but it could be a big gamble for anyone in full time employment to start on their own expecting to earn the same with all the benefits an employee can have.

Advertisement