Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time personal cannabis possession to drop to a cautionable offence

Options
  • 23-01-2006 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on the front of the sun on TV3 this morning. Anybody have any more info on it? I had heard some judges were not hearing cases for minor possession.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

It hasn't been confirmed by the Garda spokespeople as yet. But if the rumours are true, it will come into effect on the 1st of February and anybody holding a quarter or less will simply be cautioned as its felt that it's a waste of police resources to deal with these incidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's good news :) A step towards decriminalisation or legalisation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

DaveMcG wrote:
    That's good news :) A step towards decriminalisation or legalisation ;)

which cant come too soon, honestly locking people up for doing drugs makes about as much sense as locking alcoholics up and thinking theyll "magically" be cured when they get out.
    the governments drugs policy smacks of an ostritch mentality. just keep locking people up spending MILLIONS on imprisonment that they wouldnt DREAM about spending on clinics or education and stick your head in the ground pretending that it hasnt failed miserably.
    if you ask me they should decriminalise ALL drugs, flog em in pharmacies under gov. regulation and ringfence the tax on em for health clinics and the aforementioned education programme, and a REAL education program, not " do drugs and DIE " nonsence.

hopefully someone somewhere has FINALLY copped on that the majority of people tacitially except drug taking ( and if im wrong people, explain to me why you can buy cocaine on the aran islands, yet no one can find the dealer :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

explain to me why you can buy cocaine on the aran islands, yet no one can find the dealer :confused: )
    How did you buy your coke then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Only first time offences?

step in the right direction I guess. All I want is the ability to grow myself a plant (for personal use, not for selling) without a fear of being locked up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

biko wrote:
    How did you buy your coke then :confused:

im talking about the cops, whats the population of the aran island, 250+? yet the coke dealer on the island is MYSTERIOUSLY elusive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RTE news last night said cannabis possesion was been taken off the list. Drunk & disorderly was left on, ridiculous, who poses more of a threat to the average person. I would like to see the rest of the list of what is now cautionable.

Advertisement