Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Upgrade - my download speed

• 23-01-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

Ive been upgraded (I think) from 1mb to 2 mb, and the fastest Ive seen it download is 120K per second. Is this what is expected? (should it be faster?)

What are the typical download speeds (assuming the server your downloading from has a great connection) for a 1Mb, 2Mb and 3Mb lines?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Check your speeds on www.irishisptest.com/myspeed as this will give you a very good indication. Anything above 1.8Mbps would be good. You might not get that though due to line quality or distance from the exchange. Close any other apps that might be using the internet connection at the same time, such as file sharing apps. At 2Mb down, you should be getting about 210k-220kBps downloads.

I'm now on 3Mbps download and I'm getting about 2.5Mbps from that test. I'm only getting about 150kbps upload though of the 384kbps that I should have :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

also if you have a ZyXEL modem, go to maintenance -> system status, then slick on show statistics...

(way to check you're connected to a 2mb line)... and if you are.. sorry, but that looks like all you'll ever get...

if you were getting close to that before the upgrade, you might want to consider a downgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I have BT's former 1Meg service, now 2Meg. I dont know if their modem shows your actualy sync speed or just the maximum allowed, but I have been trying to workout the maximum usable speeds that I can get based on what my average speeds are and the figures that I get from IrishISPTest.

IrishISPTest shows your speeds in Kbits/sec where as your browser will show it in Kbytes/sec (the latter being a smaller value). To get my "average" speed I just got my speeds from IIT and divided by 8 to convert into KBytes/sec which is what would be shown by my browser when downloading. And these speeds apply to download only.

Here are my "findings":
    While on my 1Meg line I got had the following:
    Maximum speeds: 1024kbps|128KBytes/sec
    Average speeds: 879kbps | 110KBytes/sec

Now on my 2Meg line I get the following:
    Maximum speeds: 2048kbps | 256KBytes/sec
    Average speeds: 1.71mbps | 219KBytes/sec

Can anyone tell me if I should have been getting higher average speeds should I have been using a different provider?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have BT's former 1Meg service, now 2Meg. I dont know if their modem shows your actualy sync speed or just the maximum allowed, but I have been trying to workout the maximum usable speeds that I can get based on what my average speeds are and the figures that I get from IrishISPTest.

IrishISPTest shows your speeds in Kbits/sec where as your browser will show it in Kbytes/sec (the latter being a smaller value). To get my "average" speed I just got my speeds from IIT and divided by 8 to convert into KBytes/sec which is what would be shown by my browser when downloading. And these speeds apply to download only.

Here are my "findings":
    While on my 1Meg line I got had the following:
    Maximum speeds: 1024kbps|128KBytes/sec
    Average speeds: 879kbps | 110KBytes/sec

Now on my 2Meg line I get the following:
    Maximum speeds: 2048kbps | 256KBytes/sec
    Average speeds: 1.71mbps | 219KBytes/sec

Can anyone tell me if I should have been getting higher average speeds should I have been using a different provider?

They look ok - dont forget that there are always overheads to be taken into account which decrease the speeds you will get. Also the higher the speeds provided the more stress is going to be put on lines and people are going to find to their disappointment (see other posts on various threads since the upgrades) that their line may not be capable of much higher speeds.

Advertisement