Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Issue with O2

• 23-01-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

:mad: Hi all,
    I recently rang up O2 to Bitch about my latest bill when they informed me that I should take one of their new plans..which sounded a like a much better idea. Problem is I then get a letter stating that i've added another 12months to my contract. At NO POINT IN THE CONVERSATION WAS THIS MENTIONED to me and when i agreed to change contract I presume it was an Oral/verbal contract. Adding clauses of 12 months after is surely against the law.
    It was infact the second time i had called that day about changing my plan and again in the second call no mention of addional 12months was mentioned.
    Does anyone know my rights in this situation ?
    Cheers,
    I rang them up on friday to complain about the letter and they appologised and said it was a mistake and that i should have been informed...I wonder how many other people have been doped into this....:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I have stated this in my previous post , when you ring up about changing your price plan you are affectfully signing another 12month contract but it doesnt affect your upgrade eligiblity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Tell them you're not agreeing to the 12 month contract and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

A verbal contract stands for nothing. If you choose to port off the network within the time of that contract O2 would have a pretty difficult time persuing you for the cost of termination charges if you choose to dispute them - simply because there's nothing to show you've commited to a new 12 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd imagine they record all their support calls like most networks do, for both trouble shooting, training and as a legal backup. If they didn't tell you 12 months, and you didn't agree to it - then don't sign the confirmation they sent you.

Ring them up and explain why. If you REALLY push they may allow you to take a 3month trial on the new priceplan ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

But i don't even have to sign any new contract ..the letter just states that I've already agreed to getting my contract extended when I did no such thing ...
    Very frustrating :mad:

• Advertisement

There is something in the T&C (yeh, I read them when I took out my contract!) which says that discussions on the phone amount to verbal contracts also.

If they never once mentioned the 12 month extension then ring them up and tell them you'd like to change back, as you weren't made aware of this rather important T&C at the time of agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

That is interesting - I am due to change from one of the old Choices tariffs - which I have had free for 6 months with €20 free call value and 100 free texts per month to one of the business tariffs which is about €46 a month...

I will make sure and ask them about the 12 month issue. I would happily stay with them for 12 more months, but I would want a decent priced upgrade handset!

A free phone? You must be joking... you've not paid them anything yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Callcentres usually only record calls for quality purposes - they wouldn't do so as a record of a verbal contract you entered into - it's just way too unpractical.

I'd advise you enter into the new 12 month contract. If you so choose to leave O2 in the future you can dispute any termination charges then - even if your account goes for debt collection that doesn't affect your credit rating unless a judgement was passed against you - what's more this won't happen if you offer a settlement of whatever you owe minus the termination charges because in the eyes of the courts O2 can't bind you to a verbal contract on such terms.

Advertisement