Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bob dylan

• 23-01-2006 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Want to get into Dylan. I have heard some stuff recently and f*** it, the man is pure poet genius. Any suggestions on what albums are the best to start with?

Motm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Blood on the tracks- one of the greatest albums ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Judean Reg

Have a go of Desire, excellent album (apart from Joey).
    One More Cup of Coffee is pure genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Helper_Monkey

Next few months of your life are going to be great, you lucky scamp.......

Blood on the tracks is excellent the ultimate heart break album and not sentimental, how does he do that????.

Its cheesy to do but get a best of or the Essential bob dylan, to get a feel for his music.

He has a tendancy to have mediocre albums with amazing songs on them. Highway 61 revisited for instance has Ballad of a thin man, my personal favourate.

He's increadible enjoy your journey into his world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Blonde on Blonde
    Highway 61
    Blood on the Tracks

Those 3 will get you started, then start getting them in chronological order. Personally along with those 3 my other favs would be:

Street Legal
    The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
    Bringing it all back home
    John Wesley Harding
    Another Side of Bob Dylan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

He has a tendancy to have mediocre albums with amazing songs on them. Highway 61 revisited for instance

Oi, there'll be a fight startin in a minute, thats anything but a mediocre album :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Blonde on Blonde.

Nuff said.

Top 5 albums ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

How did you manage to put mediocre in your description of Highway 61?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

He has a tendancy to have mediocre albums with amazing songs on them. Highway 61 revisited for instance has Ballad of a thin man, my personal favourate.

Most fictional comment i've ever read. Highway 61 Revisited is a masterpiece.

As for recommendations, the obvious ones have been stated already:

Blonde on blonde, blood on the tracks and highway 61 revisited (also check out Bringing it all back home).

Some gems that you should check out are his last 2 studio albums:

Love and Theft and Time out of Mind. Both are absolutely fantastic and IMHO up there with the best of his stuff (I literally have every Dylan album).

You should also listen to Nashville Skyline(more country style), Oh Mercy, Infidels and Shot of love(at the time Dylan claimed this was the best album he'd made).

That lot should keep you going for a while.

And for live i'd recommend The Bootleg Series Volume 4 (absolutely sublime and when Dylan's vocals were at their best). I also think that his MTV Unplugged offering is widely underrated. For one it ahs arguablyy the best version of Tombstone blues he's ever recorded.

Judean Reg wrote:
    Have a go of Desire, excellent album (apart from Joey).
    One More Cup of Coffee is pure genius.

Excuse me? Joey is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

i quite like infidels myself.

ianmc38 wrote:
    Most fictional comment i've ever read. Highway 61 Revisited is a masterpiece.

As for recommendations, the obvious ones have been stated already:

Blonde on blonde, blood on the tracks and highway 61 revisited (also check out Bringing it all back home).

Some gems that you should check out are his last 2 studio albums:

Love and Theft and Time out of Mind. Both are absolutely fantastic and IMHO up there with the best of his stuff (I literally have every Dylan album).

You should also listen to Nashville Skyline(more country style), Oh Mercy, Infidels and Shot of love(at the time Dylan claimed this was the best album he'd made).

That lot should keep you going for a while.

John Wesley Harding too.

Shot of love is an underrated album, Every Grain of Sand is one of his best songs, and Groom's still waiting at the Alter (originally a bside I think?) is great too. The problem is the bad songs are really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Try wake me in the morning.. brilliant song..

John Wesley Harding too.

Shot of love is an underrated album, Every Grain of Sand is one of his best songs, and Groom's still waiting at the Alter (originally a bside I think?) is great too. The problem is the bad songs are really bad.

Every Grain of Sand is in my top 3 Dylan songs of all time. Lyrically and musically it is sheer genius, from the harp to the harmonica to the vocals. everything about that song is just unbelievable.

Shrimp wrote:
    Try wake me in the morning.. brilliant song..

What album is that on? I've never heard of it. Not "Meet me in the morning" off blood on the tracks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

**** did i type wake me i the morning.. meet me int he morning, i was thinking of a different song.. lol, prrft i call myself a fan.. and i've been to 2 concerts and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 drstaunch

howdy, big dylan fan here meself. More of his sixties stuff really but anyone who hasnt listened to the live '66 bootleg in manchester, go buy it now. Probably one of my favourite cds. First half acoustic is sublime. Check it out, may be difficult to come across but definitly worth the effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

kc66 wrote:
    Blood on the tracks- one of the greatest albums ever
    And probably Mr. Dylan's most accessible. It got me into his music anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 john_henry

if you wanna shop local then just listen to any irish singer/songwriter. they all rip off bob dylan. losers.

Any more news on his new album? When's it out?

(btw, still waiting for an explaination on that mediocre comment :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I'll get panned here, its his least acclaimed album and 1 critic wrote a review that was "what is this ****" thats the whole review.

its called: self portrait

i'd wait until you get into his more mainstream stuff 1st though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dearheart

Dylan Tip #1: don't let anybody ever tell you Infidels is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

have to say the first Dylan's album's i actually bought was his 1st one bob Dylan and the freewheelin' bob dylan together! the Bob Dylan album blow me away, never heard blues songs being played like that before, still one of the great albums I come back to time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

As previously stated, listen to Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited. You should also read the first part of his autobiography, Chronicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

The man is incredible, I have nearly gotten into fist fights over people saying "Bob Dylan cant sing", "Bob Dylan cant play guitar". He is an astounding expressive player and singer. (I shouldnt even have to mention the songwriting). I think "John Wesley Harding is his most underated album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm a massive Bob Dylan fan, and his stuff (imo) is great. He has recorded such a variety of music over the years. I'd advise starting with one of the greatest hits, mabye vol.3. These albums give a variety of his most famous work. Otherwise, "Blonde on Bonde" is an album which revolutionised music, and "Blood on the Tracks" is also another amazing piece. "The times they are a-changin' " is one of his early albums - also excellent. I'd start with one of the above.

Enjoy!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Highway 61 is a real legend of an album.

Also try and get hold of the "No Direction Home" documentary (it's in 2 parts), makes for good viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Blood on the Tracks/Bringing it all back home/Blonde On Blonde

3 of his best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Live at Budokan (1976?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

the live '66 bootleg in manchester, go buy it now. Probably one of my favourite cds. First half acoustic is sublime. Check it out, may be difficult to come across but definitly worth the effort

Its not hard to get it got an offical release as the bottleg series volume 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

drstaunch wrote:
    howdy, big dylan fan here meself. More of his sixties stuff really but anyone who hasnt listened to the live '66 bootleg in manchester, go buy it now. Probably one of my favourite cds. First half acoustic is sublime. Check it out, may be difficult to come across but definitly worth the effort

I have this on vinyl. Great booklet with some amazing pictures.

Bootleg Series Volume 4
    2 x LP
    Columbia CK2-65759-1

I'd recommend

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - a great start

then
    Blood On The Tracks
    Blonde On Blonde
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Highway 61 Revisted
    Another Side Of Bob Dylan

compilations - Biograph is a good overview. Or Greatest Hits Volume 2 for the sublime Tomorrow Is A Long Time.

My favourite Bob Dylan song is on the Bootleg Series 1-3 set.
    Series Of Dreams.

Advertisement