Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion polls, Government looking good...

Options
  • 23-01-2006 12:04pm

...anyone got a link?

From what I heard on the radio, FG are not making much of an impression, which is pretty bad at a time when the Government is getting flak non stop. When the SSIA starts rolling in, I reckon the next election is pretty much in the bag for FF, the only question being who will shore them up this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

From rte.ie
    A new opinion poll suggests that support for the Government coalition parties and the Fine Gael/Labour Party alternative is evenly matched.

The TNS/mrbi poll in The Irish Times also indicates that Fianna Fáil and the Government as a whole have received a boost in support in the wake of the Budget. Fianna Fáil stands at 37%, up three points since the last Irish Times poll in September.

The survey also suggests an increase in support for the Labour Party, up two points at 16%.
    Advertisement

Fine Gael is down one at 24%, Sinn Féin stands at 9%, while the Greens on 4% and the PDs on 3% are also both down one point.

Others have 8% support which is unchanged.

Voters are evenly balanced on the Government's performance - 46% are satisfied, an increase of 9%, while another 46% are dissatisfied.

The results were published in last Fridays Irish Times! It was also discussed on the Week in Politics last night! But things rea not looking to bad for the government and that SSIA money should generate a feel good factor leading up to election time!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Stupid bloody govt. And up to election time no doubt they'll promise us free healthcare for everyone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

...anyone got a link?

From what I heard on the radio, FG are not making much of an impression, which is pretty bad at a time when the Government is getting flak non stop. When the SSIA starts rolling in, I reckon the next election is pretty much in the bag for FF, the only question being who will shore them up this time.

Not according to us

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054871203

Statisics can say what you want them to say, FF next goverment? Not Unless bertie personally buys new hospital beds,

dbnavan wrote:
    Not according to us

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054871203

Statisics can say what you want them to say, FF next goverment? Not Unless bertie personally buys new hospital beds,
    I think you should take a deep breath as regards that poll and the constituency of boards.ie.
    Polls were turned off on this board because well people were voting early and voting often (via multiple accounts)

The other thing of note is the unscientific nature of it : (1) The demographic is young and full of a lot of people that just wont bother voting in real life and (2) Activists just love skewing public un controlled opinion polls like that.

In other words what you posted is basically worthless.

I agree with you as regards the health service though,people are rightly píssed off with it.
    However, theres so much embedded mis and over management in it now in my opinion that no party has the guts to take it by the scruff of the neck and sort it... probably because it would involve paper pushers losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

bluewolf wrote:
    Stupid bloody govt.

We get the government we deserve.:D

Also, about opinion on boards.ie - it also may have a Dublin bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Earthman wrote:
    I think you should take a deep breath as regards that poll and the constituency of boards.ie.
    Polls were turned off on this board because well people were voting early and voting often (via multiple accounts)

The other thing of note is the unscientific nature of it : (1) The demographic is young and full of a lot of people that just wont bother voting in real life and (2) Activists just love skewing public un controlled opinion polls like that.

In other words what you posted is basically worthless.

I agree with you as regards the health service though,people are rightly píssed off with it.
    However, theres so much embedded mis and over management in it now in my opinion that no party has the guts to take it by the scruff of the neck and sort it... probably because it would involve paper pushers losing their jobs.

Thank goodness for prevailing common sense:). Boards simply isn't diverse enough in terms of age, socio-economic status or political-leaning to be able to merit such polls...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Is it too simplistic a view to take that Bertie Ahern appears [ publicly at least ] to be more concerned that people will get to see the Ryder Cup on non-subscription TV than he is about whether the same people would have a hospital bed to lie on should they get sick ?

I say "publicly at least" because he seems far keener to speak in public on sporting matters than of health issues of major concern.

It's to do with priorities.
    Private polls are probably telling him how to be vaguely popularistic.

Most people dont really care about the health service, the last "patients together" demo got maybe a 1000 people at best.

On a poor day, an anti war demo would get more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If the people vote in Fianna Fail and the PDs next year they deserve to get screwed every way possible. My biggest dread is that the PDs would have pwer in the Dail come summer 07. Fianna Fail were never this bad, not to be making excuses for them but alot of what is wrong with this country is down to the Progressive Democrats Neo-Liberal Mantra. My hope is to see Fine Gael and Labour in Government with a Labour Taoiseach, Go on the Rabbite! That unfortunately won't probably happen but at least they'd be in there. I'd Hate to see the Greens in power even as good as they're environmental ideas are, they are too Neo-Liberal and would only favour privatising big industry without regard for the Workers or the customers of it. I'd be fearful for Bord na Mona if they got in as similarly for the ESB. All State enterprises will be killed by our own Margaret Thatcher (Mary Harney) if she is allowed in again. I pray she will be dumped from the Dail Mary O'Rourke style. The trade unions should fund a major campaign against her in her local constituency. State Enterprise should be encouraged and cherished and Private Enterprise encouraged too and larger ones Nationalised. Health Care will be massive I reckon and i am hoping it will hammer a nail in the Fianna Fail/Pds coffin. Eddie Hobbes should be on Tv for about a month before hand too to ensure these morons are kicked out. I am recking too that an Independent Alliance or the ME Fein party as it will be nicknamed will be a deciding factor on who is where. At the very worst if the Fianna Fail gravy train sells lies Dubya War style a FF/Labour coalition could be the best of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

netwhizkid wrote:
    Eddie Hobbes should be on Tv for about a month before hand too to ensure these morons are kicked out.

Can't believe why those who believe in the gospel according to Eddie are not importing nappies or cement.

• Advertisement

Lets deal with your post point by point ... if such a thing is possible given the quality of the content.

netwhizkid wrote:
    If the people vote in Fianna Fail and the PDs next year they deserve to get screwed every way possible.
    Well if they vote them in again, they mustnt be thinking they were screwed-how often have they voted for some version of an FF govt now?
    My biggest dread is that the PDs would have pwer in the Dail come summer 07. Fianna Fail were never this bad, not to be making excuses for them but alot of what is wrong with this country is down to the Progressive Democrats Neo-Liberal Mantra.
    Seems to be a minority view that-is there any specefic PD policy that you dont like -please present it as one liners and ......
    My hope is to see Fine Gael and Labour in Government with a Labour Taoiseach, Go on the Rabbite! That unfortunately won't probably happen but at least they'd be in there. I'd Hate to see the Greens in power even as good as they're environmental ideas are, they are too Neo-Liberal and would only favour privatising big industry without regard for the Workers or the customers of it.
    Guess you'll have to emmigrate so, there seems to be a few parties here that arent to your taste.
    I'd be fearful for Bord na Mona if they got in as similarly for the ESB. All State enterprises will be killed by our own Margaret Thatcher (Mary Harney) if she is allowed in again. I pray she will be dumped from the Dail Mary O'Rourke style. The trade unions should fund a major campaign against her in her local constituency. State Enterprise should be encouraged and cherished and Private Enterprise encouraged too and larger ones Nationalised.
    Yeah lets nationalise the banks and sieze intel... :rolleyes:
    Health Care will be massive I reckon and i am hoping it will hammer a nail in the Fianna Fail/Pds coffin.
    I'd say money in peoples pockets will be massive to be honest.I'm not saying its right but people generally look out for themselves.
    Eddie Hobbes should be on Tv for about a month before hand too to ensure these morons are kicked out. I am recking too that an Independent Alliance or the ME Fein party as it will be nicknamed will be a deciding factor on who is where. At the very worst if the Fianna Fail gravy train sells lies Dubya War style a FF/Labour coalition could be the best of a bad lot.
    Is the speech over now?
    All I saw in that post were bland sound bytes and no intention of debate.
    In fact the whole thing was devoid of facts and rantous...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think Kenny dropped the ball badly with his half arsed criticism of decentralisation whilst also supporting decentralisation. He had a golden chance to dictate what the election would be about, to highlight the cronyism of Fianna Fail and the difference between state and parish pump politics and he fluffed it completely. FG could have been the choice for people who consider decentralisation to be a massive waste of money and resources and symbolic of the political corruption in this country. Instead, Kenny demonstrated that his criticism was unprincipaled and that a vote for FG was a vote for more of the same. When will the opposition learn they need to offer *alternatives*?

Rabbitte is Labour, not exactly a party close to my heart to begin with, but even he outdid my expectations with the xenophobic kite flying over permits for EU workers. Not exactly the sort of alternatives I was looking for, but gutsy, got to give Rabbitte credit for that. Stormfront is an untapped demographic for the mainstream parties afterall.

Bad and all as FF are, its not hard for them to stay ahead when their competition is busy imploding. At least theyve got a proven track record of incompetence, whilst FG-Lab have announced they will maintain at least that level of incompetence and attempt to make even more woeful, populist vote chasing policies to boot.

Better the moron youve been able to survive so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

netwhizkid wrote:
    If the people vote in Fianna Fail and the PDs next year they deserve to get screwed every way possible. My biggest dread is that the PDs would have pwer in the Dail come summer 07. Fianna Fail were never this bad, not to be making excuses for them but alot of what is wrong with this country is down to the Progressive Democrats Neo-Liberal Mantra. My hope is to see Fine Gael and Labour in Government with a Labour Taoiseach, Go on the Rabbite! That unfortunately won't probably happen but at least they'd be in there. I'd Hate to see the Greens in power even as good as they're environmental ideas are, they are too Neo-Liberal and would only favour privatising big industry without regard for the Workers or the customers of it. I'd be fearful for Bord na Mona if they got in as similarly for the ESB. All State enterprises will be killed by our own Margaret Thatcher (Mary Harney) if she is allowed in again. I pray she will be dumped from the Dail Mary O'Rourke style. The trade unions should fund a major campaign against her in her local constituency. State Enterprise should be encouraged and cherished and Private Enterprise encouraged too and larger ones Nationalised. Health Care will be massive I reckon and i am hoping it will hammer a nail in the Fianna Fail/Pds coffin. Eddie Hobbes should be on Tv for about a month before hand too to ensure these morons are kicked out. I am recking too that an Independent Alliance or the ME Fein party as it will be nicknamed will be a deciding factor on who is where. At the very worst if the Fianna Fail gravy train sells lies Dubya War style a FF/Labour coalition could be the best of a bad lot.

Eh, go on, define neo-liberal in relation to the two people who you aim it towards. You talk like someone who heard someone use these words, thought they were clever and decided to start using them yourself, with little or no clue as to what they actually mean.

I'd have to agree with Earthman again (bugger!), your post is just filled with soundbytes, stapled together by a poor understanding of the fundamentals of politics/the Irish political scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

netwhizkid wrote:
    I'd Hate to see the Greens in power even as good as they're environmental ideas are, they are too Neo-Liberal

:confused::confused::confused:

I take it you haven't actually read some of their position papers then? One of the reasons that they despise the PDs and would have major problems going into any government with them is that the PDs are neo liberals.

Not NetWhizKid with his
    'neo neo neo neo neo neo neo neo BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN'
    routine again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Ireland has a predominantly young, ergo relatively healthy, population who are more interested in tax breaks and letting the good times roll than in Healthcare. Only those who have come into contact with the shoddy system we have care enough about it to vote for someone else.

Another FF Govt it is then - cut to Bertie in a toga with a keg of bear singing "Louie Louie".

Advertisement